Oklahoma to Declare Chinese Bat Eaters as Gods

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Well, that didn't take too long.

Will they be replacing the crosses at their churches with bats?

Reactions: john4surf

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I don't think you understand.
Oh I do all too well.

They are trying to use God as a way to justify their worship of Mammon.

They can also still pump while giving the oil away as charity but that might be considered too Christian for their tastes.

• Haha
Reactions: john4surf

Super66

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 24, 2019
Oh I do all too well.

They can also still pump while giving the oil away as charity but that might be considered too Christian for their tastes.
Oil and gas companies don't own the land they produce on. This land is owned mostly by generational ranchers or endowments. For instance the largest landowner in West Texas is University of Texas. When they lease this land for production to oil and gas companies, the companies have to agree to a minimum number of wells, exploration and minimum commodity production number. This is because the landowners want production because they share in the profit. if O&G companies fail to meet the standards in the contract the agreement is frustrated and they landowner can cancel the contract, throw the producer off and re-lease the land to someone else.

With commodity prices so low the producers are scaling back exploration and production. They don't want to sell oil for less than it costs them to produce and there isn't many places to store it anymore.

They are asking the governor to declare two legal terms Force Majeure or Act of God (yes, Act of God is a legal term), which is in every producers contract as well as in just about any contract ever written for anything. Both terms relieve both parties of liability due to unforeseen circumstances or circumstances out of their control. It has nothing to do with religion you silly goose.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Oil and gas companies don't own the land they produce on. This land is owned mostly by generational ranchers or endowments. For instance the largest landowner in West Texas is University of Texas. When they lease this land for production to oil and gas companies, the companies have to agree to a minimum number of wells, exploration and minimum commodity production number. This is because the landowners want production because they share in the profit. if O&G companies fail to meet the standards in the contract the agreement is frustrated and they landowner can cancel the contract, throw the producer off and re-lease the land to someone else.

With commodity prices so low the producers are scaling back exploration and production. They don't want to sell oil for less than it costs them to produce and there isn't many places to store it anymore.

They are asking the governor to declare two legal terms Force Majeure or Act of God (yes, Act of God is a legal term), which is in every producers contract as well as in just about any contract ever written for anything. Both terms relieve both parties of liability due to unforeseen circumstances or circumstances out of their control. It has nothing to do with religion you silly goose.
Well aware of all of this.

And I am highly aware of the irony involved hence the thread title.

And considering the money they have all raked in over the years, I do not cry for their sudden lack of profit either. Let them donate the oil to the refineries. Maybe they can write it off their taxes.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Oh I do all too well.

You are absolutely clueless as to the legal and contractual implications of force majeure and acts of god.

It is a very hot topic in the legal world now related to leases and other contractual obligations.

Christianity, Judaism and any other religion have zero to do with it.

Idiot.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
You are absolutely clueless as to the legal and contractual implications of force majeure and acts of god.

It is a very hot topic in the legal world now related to leases and other contractual obligations.

Christianity, Judaism and any other religion have zero to do with it.

Idiot.
Reading comprehension and the sense of irony from a macro-perspective just isn't your strong suit, is it?

Don't feel bad - I'm not the first to identify you as a dunce.

• Haha
Reactions: manbearpig

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Kento, God is punishing Oklahoma for getting an auto-bid into the College Football Playoff every year because they're in the Big 12 in spite of the fact they consistently have a defense that isn't in the top 100, and consequently they get BTFO by a real team first round.

Also as an atheist I understand it's not God punishing the South with tornadoes for their sins, it's just a legal term. I also see what you did there joke-wise, and I am in no way big mad triggered and menstruating about it.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Kento, God is punishing Oklahoma for getting an auto-bid into the College Football Playoff every year because they're in the Big 12 in spite of the fact they consistently have a defense that isn't in the top 100, and consequently they get BTFO by a real team first round.

Also as an atheist I understand it's not God punishing the South with tornadoes for their sins, it's just a legal term. I also see what you did there joke-wise, and I am in no way big mad triggered and menstruating about it.
It must hit home for Clayster as his cervix is apparently filled with pumpkin-sized blood clots. And hey, maybe it is actually God punishing them for their sins. Something something worship of an orange calf with golden toilets. It will also be a long time before I start weeping for the poor oil companies and their losses after decades of gouging and profits.

It's almost a relief the Pac-12 cannibalizes itself late so they avoid getting embarrassed in the Football Playoff. Dark days afoot.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

Why don't you like games that are 72-65?

If college football doesn't happen this year does the South secede again?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
It must hit home for Clayster as his cervix is apparently filled with pumpkin-sized blood clots. And hey, maybe it is actually God punishing them for their sins. Something something worship of an orange calf with golden toilets. It will also be a long time before I start weeping for the poor oil companies and their losses after decades of gouging and profits.

It's almost a relief the Pac-12 cannibalizes itself late so they avoid getting embarrassed in the Football Playoff. Dark days afoot.
I still think the PAC-12 doesn't get the respect it deserves. Oregon isn't Clemson, Alabama, or Ohio State, but I don't think the bottom 4 PAC-12 teams are as bad as the bottom 4 in any other conference. Maybe the 4th worst SEC team could stomp whoever the 4th worst PAC-12 team is, maybe not.

The ACC Coastal for example is a bunch of 6-6 teams, and based on how the dice land, some of them are going to wind up 8-4 because they play each other, and some will wind up 5-7. But they're all the same team.

I think Oregon, Washington, possibly any given year's 3rd place North team, and Southern Cal, Utah, and either Arizona school on a good day could win that division.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Utah had a solid defense and shat the bed at the end against Oregon. I would have liked to see how they matched up against the elite teams but alas. Ever since Mike Garrett got shitcanned as AD, USC has been a mess. Just good enough to get the alumni dollars (not mine) but not good enough to compete on the national stage.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Why don't you like games that are 72-65?

If college football doesn't happen this year does the South secede again?
I mean the games are fun to watch in the way the Pirates of the Caribbean movie you've seen 800 times is fun to watch, and those teams have torched some pretty good SEC defenses at times, eg OU vs UGA in the Rose Bowl a few years ago, at least in the first half.

But between rooting against Miami and FSU in the ACC, and just enjoying the on-field product from the Big-10 and PAC-12 better (SCHEDULE GOOD GAMES FOR NIGHT IDIOTS) I can really only get into the Red River shootout, OU/OSU, and any other games Oklahoma or Texas might get upset in. I can't just pick any team from the Big-12 and sit down and watch a quarter of the Sooners or Horns putting up 24 points on Kansas the way I can watch hate-watch Miami or FSU playing an ACC team.

With SEC games on across the time spectrum I generally watch those, and I STILL can't figure out why the 7:30 West Coast game isn't the biggest game. I read the PAC-12 commish was looking at 9am local starts to try to beat out shitty games in the Eastern's noon time slot.

The product on the field will feel stiff and halfway out of bed. The hardcore football fans are already watching the PAC-12 after dark. Just put two brand name teams in that game every week. I swear, it'll be Stanford v San Diego State. Someone good against some Mountain West shitter. Maybe it'll be a conference game but never a good one. I'll be Oregon and Colorado.

I mean if autumn is your prime surf time (I'm 110% sure it's right there, maybe mid-winter for SD, SB, and LA) and it's prime fishing/hunting time, you should show the best PAC-12 game when that sh!t is done for the day.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Utah had a solid defense and shat the bed at the end against Oregon. I would have liked to see how they matched up against the elite teams but alas. Ever since Mike Garrett got shitcanned as AD, USC has been a mess. Just good enough to get the alumni dollars (not mine) but not good enough to compete on the national stage.
This will probably make you cringe, and I haven't been to that many college campuses/towns, but I don't understand how UCLA's roster doesn't have the top 85 players in the nation, every year.

It boggles the mind. Driving past the North side of that campus on Sunset, I'm like, wait a second, someone convinces parents to send their kids across the country to Yale??? In New Haven??????????? Athletes go to LSU. In Baton Rouge. They go to Tuscaloosa. They go to Norman, Oklahoma. They go to Columbus, Ohio. I never told myself: you know where you should spend winter? East Lansing or Ann Arbor. South Bend. I mean I love ND right after the Gators, but SOUTH BEND ARE YOU PEOPLE HIGH??!!?!?!

That neighborhood to the North of UCLA is comically nice. It's a joke. Ditto the weather in LA vs SEC/Big-10 country. Then there's the education/resume clout.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I mean the games are fun to watch in the way the Pirates of the Caribbean movie you've seen 800 times is fun to watch, and those teams have torched some pretty good SEC defenses at times, eg OU vs UGA in the Rose Bowl a few years ago, at least in the first half.

But between rooting against Miami and FSU in the ACC, and just enjoying the on-field product from the Big-10 and PAC-12 better (SCHEDULE GOOD GAMES FOR NIGHT IDIOTS) I can really only get into the Red River shootout, OU/OSU, and any other games Oklahoma or Texas might get upset in. I can't just pick any team from the Big-12 and sit down and watch a quarter of the Sooners or Horns putting up 24 points on Kansas the way I can watch hate-watch Miami or FSU playing an ACC team.

With SEC games on across the time spectrum I generally watch those, and I STILL can't figure out why the 7:30 West Coast game isn't the biggest game. I read the PAC-12 commish was looking at 9am local starts to try to beat out shitty games in the Eastern's noon time slot.

The product on the field will feel stiff and halfway out of bed. The hardcore football fans are already watching the PAC-12 after dark. Just put two brand name teams in that game every week. I swear, it'll be Stanford v San Diego State. Someone good against some Mountain West shitter. Maybe it'll be a conference game but never a good one. I'll be Oregon and Colorado.

I mean if autumn is your prime surf time (I'm 110% sure it's right there, maybe mid-winter for SD, SB, and LA) and it's prime fishing/hunting time, you should show the best PAC-12 game when that sh!t is done for the day.
That's when the Pac 12 fans are going to watch, for sure, but the fear of east coast bias is so pervasive for west coast sports teams that they'd consider something like that that would actually reduce the number of fans and the quality of play.

Baseball is the same way. Listen to any sports radio when there's someone that's hot and they'll talk about how they get no respect. However when you have a someone like a Trout that's widely recognized as great despite playing more than half of his games at 10p Eastern somehow the east coast bias thing disappears

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
That's when the Pac 12 fans are going to watch, for sure, but the fear of east coast bias is so pervasive for west coast sports teams that they'd consider something like that that would actually reduce the number of fans and the quality of play.

Baseball is the same way. Listen to any sports radio when there's someone that's hot and they'll talk about how they get no respect. However when you have a someone like a Trout that's widely recognized as great despite playing more than half of his games at 10p Eastern somehow the east coast bias thing disappears
The DC to Boston stretch isn't really a college football zone. You have your Irish/Italian/Polish and other Catholic immigrants who will still watch some Notre Dame, and you'll get a little Penn State from people in Philly and the boonies of NJ/NY. Maybe.

New England is even worse for college football. The South has its head up its own ass - your best bet there would be to have bigtime matchups with top SEC teams playing top PAC-12 teams and then schedule the PAC-12 game two weeks before. EG have Oregon play Alabama and Southern Cal play Auburn or LSU, and have the USC-Oregon game a week earlier as the PAC-12 after dark game.

With how many of the other conference games are on TV, the PAC-12 won't be pulling viewers with earlier games. Maybe if they have a 3:30pm local kick and there's no good night games, but the TV stations almost never have 0 good 7:30E kick games.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
"It's going to disappear in April" - Trumby

Well......april is almost over. We have 1 million cases in the USA and we're matching the Vietnam War death toll today.

• Haha

Super66

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 24, 2019
This will probably make you cringe, and I haven't been to that many college campuses/towns, but I don't understand how UCLA's roster doesn't have the top 85 players in the nation, every year.

It boggles the mind. Driving past the North side of that campus on Sunset, I'm like, wait a second, someone convinces parents to send their kids across the country to Yale??? In New Haven??????????? Athletes go to LSU. In Baton Rouge. They go to Tuscaloosa. They go to Norman, Oklahoma. They go to Columbus, Ohio. I never told myself: you know where you should spend winter? East Lansing or Ann Arbor. South Bend. I mean I love ND right after the Gators, but SOUTH BEND ARE YOU PEOPLE HIGH??!!?!?!

That neighborhood to the North of UCLA is comically nice. It's a joke. Ditto the weather in LA vs SEC/Big-10 country. Then there's the education/resume clout.
The Big10 and SEC networks drive a lot of recruiting. You know if you go to the top schools in those conferences you are going to be on national TV week in and week out, which drives constant talk show coverage. You go to the PAC12 your games are on at night and only regionally. The PAC12 doesn't want to put the work in to create a national brand and overvalues their product based on the product itself instead of the demand. Rumor the new AD at SC is demanding changes or USC may go it alone or join another conference, dragging some other universities with it....leaving the rest to form something resembling the ACC coastal division.

The Big12 is a two team conference run by amateurs and a joke of conference leadership. You could put together a pretty good regional congruent powerhouse conference with a select group of Pac12 and Big12 teams. Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona and Southern California teams...plus give some love to the Aztecs and bring them aboard. It would probably lock in about 75% of the nations best recruits in its shared zip codes.