Oh My

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Stuff like that takes me back to the Roy Stewart days and the quote " I don't need to try square wheels to see how they work

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
It’s safe to say I’ve seen the designer of those fins surf over 100+++ waves since the mid 90’s.

He likes to surf fast, and not on small waves...and takes off just as deep.

Last edited:
Reactions: retodd

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
They look like less exaggerated versions of S-Wings and I bet they give a similar feeling.......a springiness out of turns that can be a lot of fun, but can also be overloaded and have a delay in response at times. I guess some of those qualities would also depend on the material the fin is made out of, which I'm not sure of.

Reactions: Aruka

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Surfboard and Fin design is High School level

You all know by now forward placement of fin area lessens pressure on it , and a few more things

To have the Base Soo forward , or Tip Soo rearward distorts the pressure from base to tip to the point you are overriding the forward area - the base - to turn that rearward area's - the tip's -higher pressure

Landing with that High pressure makes you board jump - not setting in smoothly as well = abrupt transitions

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I’ve never tried the fins but I know the waves those fins were developed and tested on.

The wave is abrupt (think boils), can jack, flat sections, then boil up again, with speed required at different times...so Griffin’s observation of the possible ride mechanics just from a glance is Griffin-esque and spot on.

The designer rides shortboards to almost mid-length style boards and rips. I know he surfs beaches too so I guess they work in that too. I heard that they are some of Skip Frye’s favorite fins, which I guess makes sense cause he likes pivot fins on his big boards.

No idea about that black board and how those fins would work. I’ve never ridden a Simmons style board or a small fish.