OG FLYER

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
Sure it s been discussed before so sorry for asking again but the new design of this website changed the links from google and can't access any thread anymore ... bummer ...

To those who have/had an OG flyer, in what wave it works best and how does it paddle (a friend of mine had to get one size up compared to his normal shortboard, paddled like sh!t he said but great board).

I recently bought a 6'1 Stacey Labrat https://staceymfg.com/products/the-lab-rat-1 , thinking it would do well as a daily with good upper range but it s actually a good wave board period, feels slow if wave doesnt have power or size. I have a 5'8 Fling as well. I need something in between. I surf beach break in OZ.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
i hav flyer f. great boar. paddles well but needs sum size to werk compd to my stampz gb that werks in everything. dunno bout the og but the f is a straight up short boar

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
Actually thinking the sampler might be a better option but a better lower range

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I had one for 6 weeks. Hated it. Sold it and bought a round tail Fever.

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
What I don't get is how they call it the "OG" Flyer. The file has clearly been updated. The stock dims don't match the OG flyer stock dims. Back in the day, 2001 to about 2006, I owed 5 Flyers. Even back then, the file changed from the original flyer to the ones they were selling near the end of that time frame. The board I owned back then was always 6'0 19 2 3/8. I don't think there were liters on the boards at the time but I would guess around 28-29cl. The stock 6'0 now is 19 3/4 2 9/16 32.6L. That seems like quite a big difference. I understand the nostalgia round these boards, I loved the shape. I understand the marketing but how about calling it the new flyer 2 or something like that?

I own a sampler and love it. It feels a little flat though in curvy waves. The real OG flyer went well in curvy waves.

Last edited:

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
What I don't get is how they call it the "OG" Flyer. The file has clearly been updated. The stock dims don't match the OG flyer stock dims. Back in the day, 2001 to about 2006, I owed 5 Flyers. Even back then, the file changed from the original flyer to the ones they were selling near the end of that time frame. The board I owned back then was always 6'0 19 2 3/8. I don't think there were liters on the boards at the time but I would guess around 28-29cl. The stock 6'0 now is 19 3/4 2 9/16 32.6L. That seems like quite a big difference. I understand the nostalgia round these boards, I loved the shape. I understand the marketing but how about calling it the new flyer 2 or something like that?

I own a sampler and love it. It feels a little flat though in curvy waves. The real OG flyer went well in curvy waves.
You could order an OG Flyer at 6'0" x 19" x 2 3/8". Doesn't mean the file's any different.

My understanding is that they just tweaked the stock dimens to better match what people are riding these days.

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
Yeah they change the dims but the characteristics of the board might be similar, concave / rocker etc... So basically the OG flyer is an actual sort of shortboard for waves with a bit of push and curve, probably not what I am after.

@Hazrus I had a fever and loved it to death til it snapped, always wanted to get another one but always fell like getting a new board ... I found the fever to be a real shortboard though, not a small wave board.

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
You could order an OG Flyer at 6'0" x 19" x 2 3/8". Doesn't mean the file's any different.

My understanding is that they just tweaked the stock dimens to better match what people are riding these days.
I understand that just changing the stock dims isn’t the only factor however the stock dims are a major factor in this particular example.

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
Yeah they change the dims but the characteristics of the board might be similar, concave / rocker etc... So basically the OG flyer is an actual sort of shortboard for waves with a bit of push and curve, probably not what I am after.

@Hazrus I had a fever and loved it to death til it snapped, always wanted to get another one but always fell like getting a new board ... I found the fever to be a real shortboard though, not a small wave board.
I rode the flyer back in the days when I would ride one board in everything. The flyer worked in knee to waist mush and overhead curvy waves.

Havoc

May 23, 2016
I rode the flyer back in the days when I would ride one board in everything. The flyer worked in knee to waist mush and overhead curvy waves.
same here. rode mine in 2 foot trestles mush to 6ft+ thumping beachbreak. boar went in everything. the design is definitely different. there are so many different flyer files in so many different programs who knows what they ended up with. my current flyer f is pretty rad but very hp and different than anything otr.

interested in getting a stapler for smaller stuff but i;m on such a roll with stamps that its hard to not order from him. that being said im waitng for a decent swell to try my ci perenium and may eventually get a ci b&w

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Mine was good at first then I lost 15 lbs. and it simply stopped working all together.

And I mean stopped working.

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
should've got that Phantom brah.
I actually happened to try the phantom too on Tuesday when i was in the water with a friend, waves were small, did better than my Stacey BUT i m really stocked on the stacey for good waves which is what i originally wanted, the paddle power is amazing and love the hold, lot of foam in the nose area ! I wanted that daily with good upper range but I guess there is no perfect design, what you earn in some aspect you loose it on others.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Sure it s been discussed before so sorry for asking again but the new design of this website changed the links from google and can't access any thread anymore ... bummer ...

To those who have/had an OG flyer, in what wave it works best and how does it paddle (a friend of mine had to get one size up compared to his normal shortboard, paddled like sheet he said but great board).

I recently bought a 6'1 Stacey Labrat https://staceymfg.com/products/the-lab-rat-1 , thinking it would do well as a daily with good upper range but it s actually a good wave board period, feels slow if wave doesnt have power or size. I have a 5'8 Fling as well. I need something in between. I surf beach break in OZ.

To those who have/had an OG flyer, in what wave it works best and how does it paddle (a friend of mine had to get one size up compared to his normal shortboard, paddled like sheet he said but great board).

This is The OG Flyer - Aussie term for Wing- Board on the left with some dude on the right ;-) 1982

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

Havoc

May 23, 2016
This is The OG Flyer - Aussie term for Wing- Board on the left with some dude on the right ;-) 1982
nice pic greg. wish they made one with that planshape and modern bottom contours. keep it low rocker for the avg dues not the pro rippers. ci has a tendency to make super hp boars they market as gravel boars. my flyer f doesn't come out until it's shoulder high with push. not a gravel boar in any sence

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
nice pic greg. wish they made one with that planshape and modern bottom contours. keep it low rocker for the avg dues not the pro rippers. ci has a tendency to make super hp boars they market as gravel boars. my flyer f doesn't come out until it's shoulder high with push. not a gravel boar in any sence

I think the flyer f is more high performance oriented than the OG, isn't it ?