**** Official wozzle Rottnest Island event thread ****

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Linky: https://www.worldsurfleague.com/events/2021/mct/3862/rip-curl-rottnest-search-presented-by-corona/results

Waiting period: May 16-26 for men and women

Previous event winners: Toledo and Tati

JJF: out with injury :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Time zone: WAST (West coast+15, GMT+8)

Venue: Strickland Bay, on Rottnest Island.
Looks like a really wild and beautiful place. I'm reading that cars are not allowed on the island, so if I don't see at least a few candid shots of pros falling off their bikes I'll be pissed!

Reactions: potato-nator

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Scandal: Environmental. Here's a pretty big ABC article about the environmental concerns of the infrastructure of the event, complete with pics of the set up and locals saying they will police the pros and entourages to stay on the marked paths
"
Keiran Glossop and other surfers living on the island formed the Offshore Board Riders club in the 1980s.

They pushed for the dunes and cliffs, which were being trampled and damaged by increasing numbers of visitors, to be rehabilitated and fenced off.

He is worried the infrastructure needed for the WSL competition site could damage the dunes and small limestone cliff, and affect a nearby protected osprey colony.

"The flora there grows really slowly," he said.

"It's growing in limestone cliff and also on grey and lifeless sand."

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 12.26.48 PM.png

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Necessary Reading: https://www.swellnet.com/news/ding-alley/2021/05/10/woz-ultimate-surfer-reality-series-enrages-rottnest-quokka-population

Well worth reading the whole thing.

“Excuse me,” said spokesmarsupial Barry Quokka to Ding Alley this afternoon on a stolen iPhone from his Rottnest burrow, “But what the actual FUCK is this sh!t?”

Sensing this critter had a bit to say on the matter, Ding Alley urged Baz to speak freely. He didn’t need asking twice.

“Ever since that Starky caarnt came out here and won us over with a sack of carrots four months ago, told us how epic a Woz comp would be here on Rotto, and how we’d be the envy of endemic macropod species the world over, the Quokka community’s been down with the Woz coming to town.

“After all, we’re predisposed to humans who looks slightly beaver-or-chipmunk-or-even-rodent-ish with their gleaming white teeth, so that Elo Caarnt, with his dental profile, he’s like a God to us, and the missus squeals and pretty much creams her jocks whenever that Joe Turpel fella comes on screen......."

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Forecast: https://www.surfline.com/surf-news/rip-curl-rottnest-search-official-forecast/119792

"For Sunday we’re looking at waves running in the head high to a couple feet overhead range, potentially up to a few feet overhead on the best sets if the storm continues to behave close to model guidance in the next day or two. There is a good chance Monday and Tuesday will trend down some but level off with surf running head high to a bit overhead range. Overall surf may be a bit lully thanks to the rather distant storm/fetch but should offer some power and quality when the sets roll in."

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Strangest slow mo fade out of jordy sitting looking stoic and suddenly out of nowhere wade carmi breaks out of the water looking like a walrus that just duckdove underneath the jordi smither. Made me laugh out loud weird as fuckz.

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
Margaret River was good. The other three of this leg weren't/aren't worth watching. Oh well, at least get some good matches on the UFC lineup, and Rogan beats Turpel any day!

• Haha
Reactions: PPK96754