***Official Work Out, Training and Exercise Thread***

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
For my first 58 years, other than surfing and running (which I started doing when I couldn't surf) and the occasional pushup and sit up, I never really worked out. Last year, after a back injury/event that sent me to the ER and to Physical Therapy for 6 months, I decided (or it was decided for me) that I need to get on program. I got a lot of info on the "10 Myths About Lower Back Pain" thread in the Surf Doc forum (thanks VM and others).

I have settled on two days a week strength routine, two days a week running, and (at least) two days a week surfing (nature obliging), although I consider surfing a rest day.

Strength Days look like this-

-Warm up- 30 jumping jacks, 30 mountain climbers, 5 pull ups, 25 push ups, 15 burpees, 5 chin ups.

-Barbell- low bar squats, deadlifts and overhead press. I use the rep #'s (starting strength) found on this site (thanks Havoc) - http://warmupreps.com. I won't tell you the weight #'s I'm lifting because Havoc defined them as "girly weights" then upon further consideration redefined them as "toddler weights."

-Cool down - repeat of warm up, plus torso twists and pulls with rubber bands.

Running Days- once a week 3-4 miles , really slow with my daughter, once a week 8-13 miles at a sustained pace (around 8:45 mile). I will also do a plank routine after running (short run).

Surfing Days- 2 days, weekend warrior and, with daylight savings, PM warrior, depends on nature's collaboration. But like I said, I consider surf a rest day.

Rest Day- What's that? I might have only one rest day. A lot of days I double up, surf then run, or run then strength, or surf then hike.

So what's your routine?

Last edited:

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
HLM 2x a week

average workout
Day 1:
squat: 1.5x bodyweight x 5 x 1, 1-2 sets of backoffs at 85% of top set
bench 1x bodyweight 3 sets of 5 reps
dl: 85% of 5rm for 2 sets of 5 reps

Day 2:
DL or rackpull at 1.75-1.85x bodyweight (goal is 2x bodyweight (340 lbs). chipping away)
close grip bp at 85% of bench 5rm for 5 reps 3 sets
vol squats at 85% of 5rm for 5 sets of 5

add 5 lbs to dl and squat every 1-2 weeks. rinse repeat.

echo bike as warmup or for cardio on non lifting days.

i lift elementary school girl weights btw. pretty much all the girls at my gym who have been training for over a year have squats and deadlifts in the low to mid 3's. for example, leaderboard has the squat at 365lbs for 5 reps for the girls. one of the female coaches is 130 lbs and has a 315lb deadlift 5rm. the strongest guys are squatting in 4's and dl in the 5's.

Last edited:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Daily since corona virus and not having a gym.

5:30 am 4 mile run
7:00 am 40 Min HIIT routine (core focus) or surf if theres waves - preferably surf.

12:30 1 mile walk
1:00 pm 50 squats/ 50 pushups with weight 40lb vest and then either Resistance Band or Dumbell full body routine.
6:30 pm 1 mile walk

New place I move into next week has a full gym so ill go back to deadlifts/squats and rows as soon as they open it up in that after lunch 1pm slot.

works for me! YMMV

Reactions: Boneroni

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
One day run, next day swim or paddle. Like doing downwind paddles/swims and run back also.

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
Every other day I swim a mile freestyle then 10 laps underwater doing just a dolphin kick. (One lap at a time) ;)
If there are waves on a swim day, I postpone the swim 'til the next day.
We usually don't get multiple day swells here in NE.
Can't really run anymore. I end up with plantar fasciitis.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Any specific kettlebell excercises?
Swings, cleans, presses, rows, goblet squats, and snatch are a good place to start. Tons of variety available with those as a base. Onnit has a six-week single-kettlebell course that I used when I was first messing around with them and there are tons of follow-along style workouts on youtube that can help too.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
And mind that caloric intake
That's the hardest for me haha

I switch up in summer, because I have the beach run/paddleboard course from Sunset to Waimea, it's the best

I few months back some of the lifeguards at Pipe were about to do a little workout they devised and asked if I wanted to try it. It's simple

sand sprint out 30 seconds (that soft deep sand at Ehukai, and a full sprint, everybody pushing to go farthest)
1 minute jog/walk back to start

repeat 10x

Might not sound like much, but it got ugly fast

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Breakfast
M-F
10 sets of (5xjumping jack, 2xmountain climbers, jump)
30 bicycle crunches
30 Reverse crunch
30 sit ups
90 second side planks left right
Work
After work M,T, Th, F
1 minute 6 sets between lifting: jump rope, speed bag, 5x 24" jump box, double end bag, heavy bag.
*change reps weekly always 3 sets
M, Th: Bench, wrist, upper body, biceps, deltoids etc
T, Fr: Legs, calfs, back, shoulder, upper back & body etc
W: 3 minutes: jump rope, speed bag, 3 x 5 rep jump box, double end bag, heavy bag.
M-F after 30 decline situps 5lb weight, 30 leg lifts, core trx 3x 30 reps, suicides: 5yds, 15yds , 30yds.
30 crutches, 30 reverse, 90 second planks, 30 hip thrust
Stretch classic little yoga

Reactions: CutnSnip

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
"Might not sound like much, but it got ugly fast"

That sounds like the phuggin Treadmill test that I just had to take ....

It just put my 5 to 6 mile walks right into the fire pit of shame
Now it's the same on my old Trek hardtail ..... uugghh

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Been working in DC so no surf except the odd swell a few times a month if I'm lucky...not a fan of 6/5/4s and overhead beach break, but it's warming up.

Swim hard MWF, Tues. Thurs. lift and a light swim...recently got into disc golf which has been awesome and I don't notice the amount of steps taken (2-4 miles depending on the course). Play on weekends and a few times a week...good stuff.