***Official Wave of Meteorological Winter***

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Had to look it up. Meteorological seasons are based on temperature cycles and dates. So the meteorological winter is Dec 1 to the last day in Feb. This is distinct from astronomical seasons that are based on equinoxes and solstices. So the astronomical winter varies but this winter is Dec 21 to Mar 20.

My "Big Wednesday" thread shows some of the action happening in Hawaii now.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
La Nina is normally sh!t and Fall pretty much served workable surf constantly. I expect this Winter will suck balls for Florida, but I wish everyone the best.

I haven't surfed South of Sebastian Inlet in what feels like ages, and I think it's been 2-3 years since Palm Beach decided to work well on a weekend off a North that missed First/Space/Treasure zones.

But this one time I went down there, got some fun high tide runner chunks in the morning, went and ate breakfast at some turbo fancy restaurant baked out of my gourd, red-eyed with smeared sunscreen about my grill copping looks, then got low tide outback left hand walls just marching, basically zero effective crowd.

Some other time I took a day off around the holidays, got to Reef Road early af. Parked in the Sharkbiscuit zone of low ticket/zero-tow likelihood. Air in the high 30s. Changing into trunks with the sky changing colors, some British lady walking her massive St. Bernard, and I was shocked how pleasant/polite she was with some rando surfer, illegally parallel parked, changing into trunks on a ritzy side street.

Got a shitload of waves first by myself, then with a few others, with the offshore making the ocean steam. I swear I could feel my pores opening up from the steamy water + crisp cold air.

Honorable mention: When it's fun here at low tide but foggy, crowd of people staring into the mist on the boardwalk, light attendance out the back.