*** Official Vans Triple Crown of Surfing Contest Thread ***

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Interesting. Later in the season than before, right?

I'll always watch people surfing Halewia and Sunset. Tricky waves that are fun to observe, imo.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Started this thread a wee bit early.

@Boneroni yes, Pipe Masters (final event of TCOS) waiting period typically Dec 8-20. Wouldn't be surprised if new Dec 21 start was purposely chosen because of this. Maybe they were hoping Covid restrictions would ease and they could run the contest in the reserved window. And both Haleiwa and Sunset baffle me as far as how to negotiate the lineups.

Reactions: Boneroni

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Oh dang, this is not real heats?

Oh well. I'll likely check out the videos, but don't like that format.

Anyone know why they are not doing a live event? Could they not get the permits?

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Oh dang, this is not real heats?

Oh well. I'll likely check out the videos, but don't like that format.

Anyone know why they are not doing a live event? Could they not get the permits?
Contest permits were secured but due to Covid rules in Hawaii and C&C of Honolulu, I'm guessing event coordinators decided to not run a while back due to event allowance uncertainty.

The C&C have published the North Shore surf contest schedule from 2021 to 2024:
North Shore Surf Contest Calendar -- 2021-2024
Unfortunately this list does not include any cancellations.

The World Surf League Event Page (Nov) has the the Triple Crown set for Nov 13 to Dec 20, but that is not happening. The Sunset Open was supposed to run in Oct but didn't happen.

I can't find a C&C of Honolulu page referencing event cancellations.

Finally the Vans Triple Crown of Surfing website states it will only be virtual starting Dec 21.

Last edited:

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
WSL North Shore Winter Schedule 2021/2022:

Nov 26 - Dec 7: Michelob ULTRA Pure Gold Haleiwa Challenger (Men's/Women's Challenger Series; last chance to qualify for the CT)
Dec 8 - 20: HIC Pipe Pro??? (Men's/Women's Qualifying Series) -- Not sure if this is happening.
Dec 21 - Jan 21: Vans Triple Crown of Surfing -- Virtual again; Haleiwa, Sunset, Pipe.
Jan 29 - Feb 10: Billabong Pro Pipeline (Men's/Women's Championship Tour)
Feb 11 - 23: Sunset Open (Men's Women's Championship Tour)

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
WSL North Shore Winter Schedule 2021/2022:

Nov 26 - Dec 7: Michelob ULTRA Pure Gold Haleiwa Challenger (Men's/Women's Challenger Series; last chance to qualify for the CT)
Dec 8 - 20: HIC Pipe Pro??? (Men's/Women's Qualifying Series) -- Not sure if this is happening.
Dec 21 - Jan 21: Vans Triple Crown of Surfing -- Virtual again; Haleiwa, Sunset, Pipe.
Jan 29 - Feb 10: Billabong Pro Pipeline (Men's/Women's Championship Tour)
Feb 11 - 23: Sunset Open (Men's Women's Championship Tour)
I went into HIC to pick up a boar and talk to Leigh. HIC was asked to be the title sponsor of the Pipeline Invitational, which is the trials to get into the Pipe Masters. I asked if they had to fork over money, he said of course but they’re hoping to earn some back with t-shirt and merchandise sales. I think I asked Uncle Steven about the HIC Pro a few weeks ago and he said it wasn’t running this year. And I don’t recall seeing the big posters they usually have promoting it in the windows or any tshirt/merchandise tables out.

edit: went on the WSL site and the trials are called the HIC Pipe Pro. The HIC Pro was usually held in November at Sunset to qualify locals and lower ranked pros for the Triple Crown.

Reactions: sponge

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
I went into HIC to pick up a boar and talk to Leigh. HIC was asked to be the title sponsor of the Pipeline Invitational, which is the trials to get into the Pipe Masters. I asked if they had to fork over money, he said of course but they’re hoping to earn some back with t-shirt and merchandise sales. I think I asked Uncle Steven about the HIC Pro a few weeks ago and he said it wasn’t running this year. And I don’t recall seeing the big posters they usually have promoting it in the windows or any tshirt/merchandise tables out.

edit: went on the WSL site and the trials are called the HIC Pipe Pro. The HIC Pro was usually held in November at Sunset to qualify locals and lower ranked pros for the Triple Crown.
Yes Troy. HIC has recently been the title sponsor for what used to be Xcel Pro at Sunset. They actually ran the HIC Pipeline Pro way back in the day too. I agree that the HIC Pipe Pro probably isn't happening (hence the question marks). The key clue for me is that it is referred as an WQS event, which is the old term for the WSL series. I'm guessing a while back they flip-flopped the dates for the Billabong Pipe Masters with the Volcom Pipe Pro, and HIC took title sponsorship from Volcom.

Johnny Boy Gomes, HIC Pipeline Pro, 1991
JBG_Pipeline_1991.jpg