*** Official Vans Triple Crown of Surfing Contest Thread ***

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
A series of swells are starting to grace the islands. The Da Hui Backdoor Shootout is going to score again with a waiting period of Jan 4-16. They are probably going to run today at least with bodysurfing. Not sure if Shootout competitors will be allowed to submit video taken during the Da Hui contest for the Triple Crown virtual contest.

Reactions: teeroi

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
A series of swells are starting to grace the islands. The Da Hui Backdoor Shootout is going to score again with a waiting period of Jan 4-16. They are probably going to run today at least with bodysurfing. Not sure if Shootout competitors will be allowed to submit video taken during the Da Hui contest for the Triple Crown virtual contest.

I watched the Vans Pickup and they said footage from Da Hui Backdoor Shootout won’t be eligible for the Triple Crown. But can still win Wave of the Winter.

Reactions: sponge

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
trying to figure out how to filter the entries so I'm not watching someone I never heard of followed by carrisa followed by Crosby on an alternative shape that's not that alternative. It would be better in chronological order of posting, better yet sorted by the particular day/spot surfed.
I like the format vs. Closed event though. 3/5+?

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Disagree tbh, I think a real competition is better than video comp. Lots of good surfers are excluded because they don't have a video crew following them.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Congratulations Da Hui for scoring epic, sustained Pipeline/Backdoor. And congrats Mason Ho for taking the win and Kala Grace for the only 12-point score. All Shootout footage not allowed in the Vans Triple Crown of Surfing (VTCOS) virtual contest, but is allowed for Wave of the Winter consideration.

Only five days left in the VTCOS waiting period. Surf is forecast to go really big on Saturday, a day after the waiting period ends.

Latest rides can found here:

Reactions: urchined and Hump

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Tomorrow (Fri 1/21) is the last day of the waiting period. New swell forecast to hit in the evening tomorrow so may get some very last minute entries.

In the meantime, enjoy this video about Pipe that John John put together.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu

John won Sunset and Haleiwa, got third at Pipe because one of his scoring waves was on a single fin. If he kept his earlier Pipe submission on his Ghost he would’ve won Pipe too. Crosby Colapinto edged out Billy Kemper at Pipe. John wins Mens Triple Crown. Congrats John Florence and Jon Pyzel.

Carissa swept everything, including fan voting. Congrats Carissa Moore and Mayhem.

Tomas Hermes wins mens fan voting.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site

John won Sunset and Haleiwa, got third at Pipe because one of his scoring waves was on a single fin. If he kept his earlier Pipe submission on his Ghost he would’ve won Pipe too. Crosby Colapinto edged out Billy Kemper at Pipe. John wins Mens Triple Crown. Congrats John Florence and Jon Pyzel.

Carissa swept everything, including fan voting. Congrats Carissa Moore and Mayhem.

Tomas Hermes wins mens fan voting.
Mahalo Troy for the great summary. John John and Carissa are such dominant surfers, especially in Hawaiian waters.

Btw, did you guys see the wave John John snagged at Waimea on Saturday? Impressive but shouldn't be surprising since he won "the Eddie" in 2016.

http://instagr.am/p/CZFGCAFJgsW/