*** Official US Open of Surfing 2022 Thread***

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I could give zero ffvcks who won this comp in crappy surf.

I've never met Zeke, but man... he is just so easy to dislike from what I've seen. Complaining about haoles while cashing Quik checks? Really? I was genuinely bummed that he won. How was he a few years back at Kelly's wave pool, mad dogging little Jett Schilling? Tough guy got his ass handed to him recently on the south shore?

He will slide into obscurity in no time.

surf-shot.com

Nep status
Feb 10, 2008
www.surf-shot.com
Tough crowd!
There have been new pros and what some would call "b-c grade pros" who have done exactly that and walked home with a $100,000 check.
You must be referring to Hiroto Ohhara in 2015 and Alejo Muniz in 2013? Brett Simpson won $100k twice but he didn't have much of a commute. Zeke and Bettylou each won $20k. Griff is #5 WCT therefore a bit better than "b-c grade pros" and he got $20k. Sage Erickson and Yago Dora each got $30k. Yago is a ripper and will be the injury replacement for Kolohe in Tahiti. Kanoa won in 2017 and 2018 but with a net worth of $70 million the prize money wasn't make or break for him.

This might be a good time to re-visit the idea of "the best surfers in the world in the best waves in the world."

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
Tough crowd!

You must be referring to Hiroto Ohhara in 2015 and Alejo Muniz in 2013? Brett Simpson won $100k twice but he didn't have much of a commute. Zeke and Bettylou each won $20k. Griff is #5 WCT therefore a bit better than "b-c grade pros" and he got $20k. Sage Erickson and Yago Dora each got $30k. Yago is a ripper and will be the injury replacement for Kolohe in Tahiti. Kanoa won in 2017 and 2018 but with a net worth of $70 million the prize money wasn't make or break for him.

This might be a good time to re-visit the idea of "the best surfers in the world in the best waves in the world."
Kanoa with a net worth of 70 million? LOL