*** OFFICIAL TRADITION THREAD ***

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead."

What do you think about tradition? Are you for it or against it? What traditions do you have and why?

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
if you don't live here, don't surf here. i like that one. unless invited. pretty simple. that, and sleeping with your friend's wife if you're a guest. i heard that one recently. hey, i don't make the rules.

Reactions: PRCD

Slabsplease

OTF status
Mar 5, 2015
Tradition is the living faith of the dead, traditionalism is the dead faith of the living...Pelikan

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead."

What do you think about tradition? Are you for it or against it? What traditions do you have and why?
The first part of the above quote/definition makes no sense. To be obscure is to be little known or unknown. If one is carrying on a tradition of one's ancestors, one must know quite a bit about them.

"Democracy of the dead" sounds poetic, though. One could just as accurately say "tyranny of the dead." Depends on one's slant, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boneroni

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Peer pressure from dead people

However I do embrace some traditions despite agreeing with the above

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
I don't think it has to be dogmatic, but I like the idea of paying homage to those from the past and embracing tradition in a way that suits your worldview. I think it is important to remember your roots. It gives you perspective in the present and while looking towards the future.

Reactions: enframed

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I don't think it has to be dogmatic, but I like the idea of paying homage to those from the past and embracing tradition in a way that suits your worldview. I think it is important to remember your roots. It gives you perspective in the present and while looking towards the future.
2387C482-7BC5-4302-AB64-BFEE963DCEA8.jpeg
Día de los muertos.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
^That look on the kid's face looking back is pure gold. What do we know about this photo?
It popped up in my twitter feed this morning and this thread seemed like the best place to post it. Thats all I got. And the math, is definitely not common core.

I actually wanna know more about the teacher. He has a Duane Peters kinda vibe to him if you could envision him teaching a classroom full of kids.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
New Year Day morning tradition:

1 Dress for the weather.
2 Walk along the beach no matter the weather.
3 Take warming shower when home if particularly wet/rainy/windy/cold.
4 Make and eat waffles together.

Reactions: keenfish