*** Official The Eddie Big Wave Invitational Thread ***

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
You're the only person I've seen bring this up on here or social media.

My son played with my cousins son yesterday and when I was picking him up, I saw my uncle (he won the Eddie in the 90s). He said the same thing. They're gonna do 10 - 45 minute heats. Sets are usually 20-25 minutes apart on average, depending on swell. So some heats are only going to have one set. When it was 1 hour heats, every heat would get 2 to possibly 3 sets.

Also, thanks for giving George his flowers. The old dog truly loved the event and would NEVER give a green light until first light. He'd be doing math in the tower while listening to sets, making sure there'd be enough swell so that every contestant had a chance to win.
There were only 2 Eddies completed in the 90's Keone won in 1990 and Noah in 1999. I see Keone often on the rare occasion that I surf the South shore. I swear he hasn't aged since he won.

Reactions: sponge and urchined

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
Buoy 1 is 18.7ft, 17sec it should be good for 20ft.
You're invited to paddle out before the first heat.
I've paddled out before the Eddie twice. The first time was fairly uncrowded and they started late, 9 or 10. The second time it was packed and they started kicking us out soon after it got light. I managed to get a wave with about ten other guys, I was deepest except for a guy who jumped. ESPN used a photo of the wave on their home page for the Eddie story not a real photo of the contest. I also paddled out after one contest, '99 I think, also uncrowded and good fun. I was in the water down the road during the half a contest in '95. I walk over to contest around noon to find out the contest was canceled. Perfect 12 to 15ft Waimea with not one person out, I was too lazy to walk back to my car to get my board.
I highly doubt Chris Owens is going. Chris was injured by a drop in at the Bay about a week ago. Feel bad for the guy - his first invite and he's injured a week from the event.
I overheard talk in the line-up yesterday that he is definitely going to give it a go, tape up the foot and maybe a boot.
Ive always dug RCJ. He has that maniacal look in his eyes. Wild. Like someone Id be a bit scared to hang out with.
RCJ has surfed every Waimea Eddie but one ('86), Clyde has only missed one too ('99), Clyde also surfed the Sunset Eddie. RCJ won in '01, came in 2nd twice ('04, '16) was in 2nd after the first round in the half an Eddie ('95) and always finished in the top 10. He is a Quik rider, just saying.

I put my bike in the car, thinking of driving up early maybe paddle out at the outer reef and then checking out the contest. I'm old and fat so I may stay home and watch it on YouTube.

Just seen a video of Waimea, It's already packed with people waiting for the contest. I was thinking 5am would be early enough, I guess I was wrong by 12 hours.

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
There were only 2 Eddies completed in the 90's Keone won in 1990 and Noah in 1999. I see Keone often on the rare occasion that I surf the South shore. I swear he hasn't aged since he won.
He really hasn't. They just came back from Huahine and he was charging 6 foot slabs at age 68. I also saw him surf for 7 straight hours a few summers ago when it was solid and glassy all day.

I used to park cars with Noah 20 years ago. He paid off credit cards and bought a boat with the $55K he won.

I used to park cars with Wassel too. He has to chug a coors light before a heat (Eddie or not), otherwise he's too nervous.

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
That was a rhetorical question. 27.2ft 19sec is huge. Easily big enough to close out the bay, just as big as the 2016 Eddie.I'm amazed they forecast this swell almost 2 weeks ago. 27ft is buoy 101, buoy #1 isn't quite as big. Maybe they sent someone out there to rock the buoy to get us excited.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka and sponge