123 Organic
G4
Camarena
Casa Mexico
El Tesoro
Pura Sangre
Cimarron
Tapatio

I'll leave to up to you to define smooth, it's not a quality I look for. Put another way, I might find it offensively harsh, but if not that, then it's smooth enough. Then I look for character.

All Tequilas have a four-digit NOM (1146, 1599, &c) on their labels. Find a NOM you like and try those other brands made at that distillery. Most distilleries bottle under multiple labels for different markets and importers. For example, the distillery that makes Avion also makes Casamigos. The one that makes Tapatio also makes El Tesoro. Tapatio was created for the Mexico market and El Tesoro for USA, but I am told they are the same tequilas under different labels.

As posted above, this is a good resource, and sortable.

This is a solid list.

To your point, Tesoro is amazing.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Agaves planted in certain areas and elevations make different products even when distilled identically and made into blancos or even repos. Most of what is unique about that is lost when aged in too much oak. I just prefer less oak on my Tequila, more on whiskey or brandy.

I just figure why bother with a proxy, see Nick Kron's post above featuring Campo Azul, which is decent Tequila, except they use autoclave. They are even bottling that extra anejo (3+ years in barrel) that way to make whiskey drinkers take notice, wax seal, LOLZ, so stupid. Same thing is happening with Cognac and Armagnac, they are being marketed to appeal to American drinkers of American whiskey, using bottle shapes that are typically used for whiskey.

It's the opposite of Tequila in Cognac and Armagnac: the grapes used to make those brandies generally make shitty wine. Ugni blanc (in Italy, trebbiano) is a very neutral high acid grape that mostly makes unremarkable wines. But it makes lovely spirits when distilled lovingly and *when aged correctly in oak.*

There's a new Cognac, Baardseth, which is supposedly good stuff. It's being bottled for and imported by an American importer, I can't recall which. Anyway, no one will me which Cognac house is supplying the brandy. They (whoever is labeling and importing) literally don't want anyone to know. The reason for this could easily be (I am not in any way suggesting it is in this case) that the barrels being sold to the American importer are barrels that the Cognac house rejected for its own Cognac brand, and was going to sell off to some other bottler in France to be bottled and sold as simply "Brandy."

It happens in all spirit categories involving oak barrels: some are better than others. For example, Weller 12 year whiskey is just Pappy barrels that the master decided weren't quite good enough for the Pappy 12 year label. Or, put another way, the Pappy barrels are just a tiny little bit better than the Weller 12 barrels. The average drinker would never detect the difference, but they will pay WAY more for the Pappy label. I remember asking the brand ambassador about this years ago (I was to teach a bourbon class and the ambassador wanted to be a part of it) and getting no reply. They literally weren't allowed to tell anyone. Maybe that has changed since I left bartending.

It's the one thing I hate about this business I am in, the secrecy, and why I prefer European wine, where secrets are harder to keep, because everything is tested by the government at the appellation level: AOC, DO, DOC, DOCG, &c.

Marketing in booze is fierce, and effective, because the producers really don't want you to know anything about these mass marketed and huge production spirits. Nearly all big name booze producers are owned by multi-national conglomerates. Their shareholders want ROI.
I was just served Pappy 23 gold top last weekend by stroke of pure luck...I just don't get it

the host was sure to remind us all it was a $16,000 bottle of whiskey (he had received as a gift, mind you, I'm not that well-connected, he won some massive settlement for a guy)

one of the dudes didn't even want to finish it because he said it was too hot for him

I finished his, too, only because I'm a cheap fk and hate to see anything go to waste, least of all a glass of whiskey that was probably worth more than my life.

that said, I don't think I'd **enjoy** drinking a whiskey that is this expensive

in some ways, it made me think of a friend of mine who judges everything on cost...the restaurant is good only because it is expensive....that type of guy....no real taste or sense of quality, everything is a dick measuring contest on how much was spent...that's what these spirits make me think of...MAYBE you're a real connoisseur and you can taste the difference, but I bet most people buy this stuff just to jerk themselves off in front of their friends

Reactions: Mr Doof

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I was just served Pappy 23 gold top last weekend by stroke of pure luck...I just don't get it

the host was sure to remind us all it was a $16,000 bottle of whiskey (he had received as a gift, mind you, I'm not that well-connected, he won some massive settlement for a guy)

one of the dudes didn't even want to finish it because he said it was too hot for him

I finished his, too, only because I'm a cheap fk and hate to see anything go to waste, least of all a glass of whiskey that was probably worth more than my life.

that said, I don't think I'd **enjoy** drinking a whiskey that is this expensive

in some ways, it made me think of a friend of mine who judges everything on cost...the restaurant is good only because it is expensive....that type of guy....no real taste or sense of quality, everything is a dick measuring contest on how much was spent...that's what these spirits make me think of...MAYBE you're a real connoisseur and you can taste the difference, but I bet most people buy this stuff just to jerk themselves off in front of their friends
If skippy didn’t have an oz of merek to throw down with the whiskey he ain’t no baller.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
summary: I'm low rent and lack vision. el ogro is the goat.
I like good liquor but it’s insane to pay that much. You run with an upscale crowd. I’m proud of you knocking back the other guys drink. I wouldn’t appreciate anything over $50 bucks a bottle.

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I bet most people buy this stuff just to jerk themselves off in front of their friends
I bet they buy it to literally get jerked off by someone else after jerking themselves off in front of their friends.

But cheers for pouring all around off the finery still.

Tequila is trouble. No exceptions. My first time in Mazatlan I ate at this one restaurant a shitload, and they had their own brand of tequila, bottles with a rattlesnake, a seasnake, a coral snake... They had good shrimp dishes and I got good service so I'd leave good tips. The head manager guy would pass by tables and pour half-shots like apertif style, and on the fourth day sh!t all went sideways.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I bet they buy it to literally get jerked off by someone else after jerking themselves off in front of their friends.

But cheers for pouring all around off the finery still.

Tequila is trouble. No exceptions. My first time in Mazatlan I ate at this one restaurant a shitload, and they had their own brand of tequila, bottles with a rattlesnake, a seasnake, a coral snake... They had good shrimp dishes and I got good service so I'd leave good tips. The head manager guy would pass by tables and pour half-shots like apertif style, and on the fourth day sh!t all went sideways.
Shrimp Stroganoff sideways? If they give it away, there’s your sign!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Shrimp Stroganoff sideways? If they give it away, there’s your sign!
Nah, al ajo, guajillo, they had a couple dankmode ones with mushrooms, one with a cream sauce and one with a red-colored sauce.

I can kind of not really hold Trappist Ales. Anything else, it doesn't matter. Why go with some nice anejo/reposado when glue or paint thinner or bath salts will have the same degenerate result?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Nah, al ajo, guajillo, they had a couple dankmode ones with mushrooms, one with a cream sauce and one with a red-colored sauce.

I can kind of not really hold Trappist Ales. Anything else, it doesn't matter. Why go with some nice anejo/reposado when glue or paint thinner or bath salts will have the same degenerate result?
Longevity.

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
An old friend of mine thinks California can have a legit agave spirits industry--he's got 2 acres of agave going in Woodland...we'll see how that works out. He also helped start a distillery and brand down in Colima that isn't in the 'legal' tequila growing area but his 'Dos Volcanes mezquila' is pretty good...no additives, not made with a diffuser.

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
The 'daily driver'... splash with an organic sweet & sour (a small splash) a shot of Grand Marnier (Cadillac), and the rest Lime LaCroix or just straight Soda Water.

The one I only drink straight...

Clase Azul is the goat. my favorite. Need to try the black bottle, but its 2500 per pop

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Had some "Agave Spirit" by Pacific Coast Distillery located in Oceanside...they import the agave from Jalisco and make it in Oceanside. Tasted it at a food/wine event and from what I vaguely remember, it was pretty good...

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
When I have really expensive stuff, I always think I'm not worth it.

The first time I noticed this was when I wiped my butt with really expensive Charmin TP.

I feel like it's wasted on me.

I hate to waste.

I'm not cheap.

I just hate waste.

It's a temperament thing I think