***Official Surf Podcast Thread***

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Did anybody listen to Joel tudor on surf splendor? I made it to the ten minute mark before i was over it.Not sure where he gets the viewing numbers, but i looked at wsl Ig longboard posts and didn’t see anything with higher views compared to shortboards.
He's talking about getting paid :foreheadslap:

Longboarders get paid less than shortboarders... What he really said was that female longboarders get paid less than female shortboarder, which sparked this huge controversey with the WSL and his sponsors. I think it's crazy that the WSL contacted Joel's sponsors in an attempt to shut him up! :oops:

I think the WSL has done a disservice to surfing as a whole. If they are considered the authoritative body, or governing body of professional surfing, the image they are creating is a lame one and far from a true representation of who professional surfers really are.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I just started the podcast, but i'll stick through it. The audio sucks. I think its more Joel's fault than DLS. lol. He probably is talkign away from the mic or moving the mic around.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
It sounds like Joel’s real beef should be with sponsors paying female longboarders less than female shortboards and with female surfers earning less than male surfers generally. This is based on Joel’s claim that female surfers get more eyeballs and move more product. I’m not sure whether his claim is true but it seems reasonable.

Either way, suspending the current world champ is pretty absurd. Joel generates interest even when throwing bombs online and that should be viewed as a good thing by the WSL.

I agree that classic longboarding is much more appealing to the viewer than high performance longboarding. But a nose ride at Malibu does not come close to a WSL event at maxing Pipe or Cloudbreak.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
It sounds like Joel’s real beef should be with sponsors paying female longboarders less than female shortboards and with female surfers earning less than male surfers generally. This is based on Joel’s claim that female surfers get more eyeballs and move more product. I’m not sure whether his claim is true but it seems reasonable.

Either way, suspending the current world champ is pretty absurd. Joel generates interest even when throwing bombs online and that should be viewed as a good thing by the WSL.

I agree that classic longboarding is much more appealing to the viewer than high performance longboarding. But a nose ride at Malibu does not come close to a WSL event at maxing Pipe or Cloudbreak.
All valid and legitimate points.

But, what I find interesting is that the WSL took it to another level by suspending him, contacting his sponsors, and then didn't even change anything.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
TLDR. I don’t know about female LBers vs SBers… but I’d rather watch a female LBer than a male LBer. Not that I’d go out of my way, but still it’s just more pleasant to look at.

Can’t stand that guy tho. So entitled. I’ll probably listen to the pod and want to punch him even more. Can’t wait to hear him “explain the role his cannabis use has played in his wellness and career ambitions” LOL

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014

Longboarders get paid less than shortboarders... What he really said was that female longboarders get paid less than female shortboarder, which sparked this huge controversey with the WSL and his sponsors. I think it's crazy that the WSL contacted Joel's sponsors in an attempt to shut him up! :oops:

I think the WSL has done a disservice to surfing as a whole. If they are considered the authoritative body, or governing body of professional surfing, the image they are creating is a lame one and far from a true representation of who professional surfers really are.
:shameonyou:Go to 9m14sec ,Listen and tell me what he says.Then you can :foreheadslap: yourself.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021

Pretty sure the main issue was Joel commenting on insta about Miley Dyer dating a chick on tour and implying she was influencing outcomes in favor of her chick ....it was an absolute epic troll comment and I highly applaud joel for talking mad levels of sh!t all the time, that said fuck around and find out lol - not allowed in the competitors area for a year boo hoo ya whiner. They didnt really go into that comment on the podcast hahah

Reactions: Woke AF

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Geez! I dont know if David Lee Scales has a learning disability or if Tudor is a moron but the microphone situation was horrible! I've never heard worse audio. Joel sounds like a complete burn out! He may have good intentions and a lot of experience, but he cant articulate a thought if his life depended on it. I like the guy, but sh!t! It was pretty hard to listen through. The audio made Joel sound worse than he is. I couldnt even follow his train of thought as he was speaking. The whole "i could have won 5 world titles" sounded a little grandiose to me too. I dont know sh!t about longboarding but to claim 4 additional world titles seems a little hard to comprehend.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
ya i listened for a few minutes, guy sounds like a turtle on crack. incredible he is as successful as he is. nobody wants to watch longboarding. itz boaring as fk. he;z just trying to change the natural order of things. ppl don't want to see it regardless of how much he is pushing it.
1672199326438.png

Reactions: Havoc

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
I listen to a ton of podcasts, but i cannot get into any of these. almost all of them are super boring. which doesn't really make sense, but they are to me.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
you couldn't pay me to listen to a midlength podcast. LOL.
did he diss Yuri? what did he say?
They were talking about how popular and relatable mid lengths are for the average Joe. He kind of was dissing him a bit. He said something like: there’s a guy named Yuri on the east coast that puts out reviews under skipper reviews, I’m not sure why people are asking his advice/following him, but I guess it’s because he’s relatable…it made me chuckle.:D

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Yuri puts out some funny content. I think he's aware of his skill level. But nonetheless, us internet folk (like me) that are so obsessed with surfing will watch anything. lol.

Reactions: SD_Dan