***Official Surf Podcast Thread***

Jul 25, 2020
Ward Coffey podcast was pretty rad. Always wanted a board from him.
One of my best boards ever was from Ward way back in the 80's. I coordinated with him to watch him shape it. We mostly chatted about telemark skiing which was pretty random. But I learned more in that hour of watching him shape my board than I could have ever imagined and went on to shape several successful shapes for myself throughout the 90's. I suppose I should reach out to Ward and get another magic stick. Maybe a twinzer?

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I think David Lee Scales has improved so much as an interviewer since when he first started out. He really lets his guests talk and doesn't digress as much as he used to. I like him. Having a beverage with him and Chas would be a funny time. Chas is a classic, and together they just talk like regular dudes sh!t-talking about stupid stuff they see. It's not mean, it's just funny. Scott Bass is funny in another way; I don't think he knows what he's saying until after he's said it most of the time. Some of what he says is absolute nonsense, but I guess that's why I like him too especially since he started laying off the god stuff. When he does his interviews, one of the best parts is the weird 'off' question he starts with to warm-up his guests..."When was the last time you danced?" I Lol'd at that one!

ajmojave

OTF status
Aug 26, 2018
I think David Lee Scales has improved so much as an interviewer since when he first started out. He really lets his guests talk and doesn't digress as much as he used to. I like him. Having a beverage with him and Chas would be a funny time. Chas is a classic, and together they just talk like regular dudes sh!t-talking about stupid stuff they see. It's not mean, it's just funny. Scott Bass is funny in another way; I don't think he knows what he's saying until after he's said it most of the time. Some of what he says is absolute nonsense, but I guess that's why I like him too especially since he started laying off the god stuff. When he does his interviews, one of the best parts is the weird 'off' question he starts with to warm-up his guests..."When was the last time you danced?" I Lol'd at that one!
Bass seems like one of those guys that would take off on you multiple times and not even acknowledge it.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
The episodes of the Joe Rogan experience where Joe Rogan interviews the surfers are some of his best. I didn’t think it was possible to like Laird or Kelly more than I already did until I heard them talk to Joe Rogan. Fascinating dialogues.

• Haha
Reactions: Goodfish

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I was just thinking about how I would totally be a regular listener of to? a podcast where celebrities who surfed talked to someone cool like Joe Rogan about how they got started surfing, what surfing and bjj mean to them now that it’s changed their lives, what cool surf and or bjj tattoos they have now, etc.

That would be really cool. They could also talk about whatever crypto scheme scam? they’re a part of and or alcohol brand and maybe once in a while Joe could mention chimps attacking humans.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
I was just thinking about how I would totally be a regular listener of to? a podcast where celebrities who surfed talked to someone cool like Joe Rogan about how they got started surfing, what surfing and bjj mean to them now that it’s changed their lives, what cool surf and or bjj tattoos they have now, etc.

That would be really cool. They could also talk about whatever crypto scheme scam? they’re a part of and or alcohol brand and maybe once in a while Joe could mention chimps attacking humans.
If they are super cool they will talk about how amazing its been taking mushrooms maybe ayahuasca but not sure if that trend is over.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
One of my best boards ever was from Ward way back in the 80's. I coordinated with him to watch him shape it. We mostly chatted about telemark skiing which was pretty random. But I learned more in that hour of watching him shape my board than I could have ever imagined and went on to shape several successful shapes for myself throughout the 90's. I suppose I should reach out to Ward and get another magic stick. Maybe a twinzer?
An interesting part of the Ward Coffey interview was when Bass said that Ward has competed in the Icons of Foam so often that people have told Bass to stop inviting his friends to compete. Bass said that the competitors are chosen by the shaper being honored, not by Bass, and they all ask for Ward.

Reactions: Aruka and jkb

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
L8 night with Choccy podcast with Peter Schroff is excellent. Not at all like his Beachgrit podcast.

Would have been funny to get him and Greg Griffin in a room together.

The Xanadu one is pretty good too.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Tried listening to The Lineup with Ashton Goggins. That guy is such a tool. Gave up just after he said, "I'm a core surfer." Does anyone actually say that kind of cringe?

Reactions: urchined