***Official Surf Podcast Thread***

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Seeing as how I'm a complete podcast junkie now and many on here are as well I figured I'd put up a generic thread to discuss.

Post up any surf related podcasts here and discuss the interviews.

I just finished Surf Splendor's interview of Maurice Cole. Most excellent, and what a life that guy's had!

Cool to hear his thoughts on modern day surfing and design (stagnate), if he could order a board from anyone it would be Ryan Burch, and he really digs the Machado boards (go fish and seaside).

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Thanks for posting this. I was about to do the same after listening to Ryan Sakal's episode w/ Bassy. I was on the high school surf team w/ Ryan when he shaped his first board. One of the best surfer/shapers around. Don't know him now, but seems really down to earth. His dad shaped me my first custom when I was 12, under his Bullit label (5'0 x 17-something x 2").

Haven't listened to Maurice's, yet, but am looking forward to it. I shaped my second board listening to his 3-hr interview w/ Bassy about 15 years ago.

Skip Damo Hobgoblin's unless you're a Jesus freak. Got a few minutes in and couldn't hang. Bassy needs to stick w/ shapers and boards.

I think David Scales does a really good job letting the shapers go where they want to, regarding content. The Pat Rawson episode is good stuff if you're into foam talk.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I need to get on that Sakal interview, thanks for the reminder.

Damn that Hobgoblin interview was horrid. I'm trying to me more open minded and tolerable of the Jesus freak stuff but that was so bad it was akward... like really?

I would love to hear Biolos part 2, burch, rusty, alan gibbons, stretch, the list goes on. I think both bassy and david do a great job.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
I wasn't much of a fan of Chas Smith's writing, even on Beachgrit, but I really enjoy the banter he and David Lee Scales have on the Grit.

Some of the Surf Splendor pods I really liked this year were Jaime Brisick and David Carson. Just great listening.

Parmenter's three part on surfboard manufacturing/durability, fascinating.

Jeff McCallum from the archives ~ I had no idea this guy only made stock boards.

Not actually a fan of Bassy's interview style, I think he reaches too much for controversial subjects instead of letting them naturally become part of the conversation.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
All of David Lee Scales' podcasts are great. I'd also recommend Ain't That Swell - absolute classic Aussie mentalists. Lipped is also good, but much more straight faced.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Here's another "morris" cole podcast.

https://lippedsurferspodcast.libsyn.com/maurice-cole-the-return

The others on my list of surf podcasts that haven't been mentioned yet.

Surf Simply (surf coaching school in costa rica)

KooksOfKomedy (now defunct but it was 2 comedians who are bad surfer's discussing comedy and surfing)

The Monday M.A.S.S. (Chris cote's weekly board sports show. I mostly just fast forward to the surfing segment. He has Todd Richards on most weeks now)

The Drop (now defunct but had some good episodes. Shane Dorian and Nathan noodles Webster. Sponsored by stab.

The dooley (probably defunct now. It was a what happened this week in surf quiz by the wet lettuce Danny Johnson and Mike Jennings - editor of surfing world)

The Kyle Thierman Show (occasionally has a guest I'll want to listen to. Mostly I skip these though)

Looking Sideways Action Sports Podcast (Sometimes a good guest)

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Don't forget Ain't That Swell!!!!!!!!!

Quite a big following in Oz. Pretty Aussie-centric (which is a good thing)...

Reactions: goofyfut

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'm really enjoying Surf Splendor. David Scales is a really good interviewer.

Bassy, not so much. It sounds like he's more interested in asking the next question rather than listening to the answers his guests give. And he's constantly giving them advice on how to market things which doesn't seem to go over well much of the time.

He's a better interviewer than Occy though. There are a few good episodes of the Occ Cast, but in comparison, that podcast sucks.

NDG

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 28, 2013
LA
love aint that swell. those guys are hilarious.

The grit is hit or miss with me - sometimes im just over chas - but Scales and all his podcasts are great, and the spit too.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Sakal was good. Always nice to hear people that are into other things as well and can compare the cultures.

Hynd dropping tomorrow?

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
there was an episode with a shaper who said offhandedly that he managed custom orders through his website and the customer could check in on order status... does anyone remember who that was? it was a smaller label if memory serves, i've heard so many of these that they start to bleed together.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Hdip said:
The Kyle Thierman Show (occasionally has a guest I'll want to listen to. Mostly I skip these though)
That guy can be a real hard listen. He sounds sooooooo conceited.

shaheeb

OTF status
Feb 24, 2013
scales mostly seems sincere. chas seems like he has an axe to grind and may just very well be a kook which is ok? i guess?

dont mind bass too much b/c he goes for some really good guys, really appreciate the biolas, timmy patterson etc....keep it coming and thanks for the hard work... way better than i or many of us could do...

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
shaheeb said:
scales mostly seems sincere. chas seems like he has an axe to grind and may just very well be a kook which is ok? i guess?

dont mind bass too much b/c he goes for some really good guys, really appreciate the biolas, timmy patterson etc....keep it coming and thanks for the hard work... way better than i or many of us could do...
He is a kook. There's a video of him at Kelly's ranch and he can barely pump down the line. What's better is that beachgrit makes fun of the new wsl guy for being an adult learner, when clearly chas is.

Now that I know he can't surf, it makes all his BS he spews even more bs. Like some people that post here. :rolleyes:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
xmesa said:
there was an episode with a shaper who said offhandedly that he managed custom orders through his website and the customer could check in on order status... does anyone remember who that was? it was a smaller label if memory serves, i've heard so many of these that they start to bleed together.
XTR. They have a spreadsheet that they update weekly where you can check the status of your board build.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Surf Spendor's interview with Derek Hynd is beyond epic. The bit where he described the surf incident that cost him his sight in one eye will shock you, make you laugh, grimace and groan all within 20 minutes...

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
jkb said:
xmesa said:
XTR. They have a spreadsheet that they update weekly where you can check the status of your board build.
For sure that was one - but there was someone else... i thought it was parmenter or timmy patterson but i think i'm wrong on both counts. it was someone who i didn't expect to take a digital approach to order management, for whatever reason.

the spreadsheet system seems like take a lot of work. order cards with QR's an some dedicated phones in the shop to snap pictures at each step might fit the workflow better / give better results