***Official Surf Podcast Thread***

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Listened to the Chris Mauro one today, very different conversation as Bassy knows Mauro well.

Cool insider stories from the surf mag glory days, the dot.com bubble and surprisingly the WSL media machine.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
grendel95 said:
Listened to the Chris Mauro one today, very different conversation as Bassy knows Mauro well.

Cool insider stories from the surf mag glory days, the dot.com bubble and surprisingly the WSL media machine.
That was a really good interview......except when Bassy steps all over Chris as he's trying to finish a thought.

Hey Bassy. Let your guests finish a sentence. :pokestick:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Bassy is a chauvinist, a xenophobe, a poor attempt at a sensationalist, and a chronic interrupter. There have been parts of episodes on Spit! that left me absolutely cringing. His boardroom show is a great concept and I love what it's done for the board building community, but his ignorance is hard to take sometimes. As an interviewer, he tends to tee people up with questions asked so they can provide an answer he's like, rather than asking questions so they can explore the idea or provide an opportunity to tell a story. Then he cuts them off. The episode where him and David argue over the way the show is promoted was embarrassing. Yes Scott, you started podcasting before others, we know. David is better at it.

That being said, I listen to all the stuff on Surf Splendor.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I used to think the same thing of Bass, but now really enjoy him… just took me a while to ‘get him’.

He’s very self-aware and witty, and open about his own shortcomings, which I find endearing. He's also not afraid to say the things we all think, and I appreciate that kind of candour.

What’s giving me the shits though, is the number of magic sky Jew flavoured episodes spread across the Surf Splendour ‘network’ of podcasts. I realise it's a bit of a thing among surfers for some reason, but still annoys me to be subjected to it.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Waxfoot said:
I used to think the same thing of Bass, but now really enjoy him… just took me a while to ‘get him’.

He’s very self-aware and witty, and open about his own shortcomings, which I find endearing. He's also not afraid to say the things we all think, and I appreciate that kind of candour.

What’s giving me the shits though, is the number of magic sky Jew flavoured episodes spread across the Surf Splendour ‘network’ of podcasts. I realise it's a bit of a thing among surfers for some reason, but still annoys me to be subjected to it.
Yeah...

I think he believes he is self aware. He definitely finds opportunities to imply how self aware he is, but he clearly isn't able to be aware of some of the things he says in real time.

I think some of the things "we all think" but don't say, might be because we know that our first thought is not always our most reasoned and knowledgable response. For example, stating that he doesn't follow the women's tour because they don't surf well enough is fine. But when he gets super objectifying and rude about it, it gets to be a little much. Or when he criticizes Kanoa Igarashi because his way of celebrating his win at the US Open was not "traditionally Japanese enough", is not a matter of "saying what we all think" as much as it is a complete lack of self awareness.

Finally, I don't know what "magic sky Jew flavored" means. Christianity? ok. I don't really dig it either, but seems like a weird way of referencing it. When a guest brings up religion as part of their life story, I think it's totally valid and reasonable. When Bassy points points the guests into that direction, or others, it seems forced and unlistenable.

Again, all that being said, I enjoy the care taken to create episodes with solid production quality, the increasing breadth and variety of guests, and the sheer amount of content that Scales produces. Bassy laid a lot of groundwork for that and often brings some great insight to the SPIT show, but I'm really happy that David got his legs under him and continued growing in the platform.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Fair response, I think our definition (and maybe mine’s off the mark) of self-awareness is different. To my mind, self-awareness can be retrospective with the aim to improve, while emotional intelligence is the ‘in the moment’. To be clear, I agree with the examples given and salient point you make at the end, I just tend to give Bass much more benefit of the doubt than saying ‘chauvinist, a xenophobe, a poor attempt at a sensationalist’, as those are quite harsh labels imo.

Yes, it’s a silly way to refer to a silly topic, I just have far too much of it in my life. It’s probably because I have an evangelistic (is that a word?) young-earth creationist sat next to me in the office and my tolerance for the topic has hit an all-time low.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
He’s kinda funny. Bass.
I’ve been debating for years to go to one of those fairs. Boardroom shows. I think theres some seminars or something? Or maybe get like a brand that doesnt exist down here. But then i’m like: ”whata fuck else am i gonna do there?” You guys seem to know each other.

BUt anyway, Bird’s episode is amazing.
And Biolo’s i listened to several times. Parmenters too.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Shouted at Bass a little during the Dan Mann episode, because something along the lines of : 'humans grouped up together to fight against the dinosaurs' :(

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Waxfoot said:
Shouted at Bass a little during the Dan Mann episode, because something along the lines of : 'humans grouped up together to fight against the dinosaurs' :(

no effing way :foreheadslap: :banghead:

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
Waxfoot said:
Just started this one - hope he doesn't spend the entire time talking about "tribes".

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
overall pretty darn good. I always like listening to stories about local guys too.

But yeah thanks to this thread I noticed Bassy interupting him quite a bit, and bassy did too. And stop with the religion. Fuck!

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Bassy's question to Dan Mann out of the blue:

Bassy: "Do you believe in God?"

Dan Mann: "Uhhhhh, good question"

:rolleyes:

Zero relevance to anything they were talking about.

Dan seems like a really cool, down to earth guy.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
ciscojaws said:
Waxfoot said:
Just started this one - hope he doesn't spend the entire time talking about "tribes".
Not too long luckily, and Dan Mann's a very interesting character, sop well worth listening to.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Waxfoot said:
ciscojaws said:
Waxfoot said:
Not too long luckily, and Dan Mann's a very interesting character, so well worth listening to.

ghostshaper said:
no effing way :foreheadslap: :banghead:
Fun fact: Work colleague next to me was all excited to tell me about meeting Ken Ham, and wanted to try help him to bring the ark experience to Australia (that one where they show Dinos on the boat with humans and other animals), because science. I cried myself to sleep.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Waxfoot said:
Fair response, I think our definition (and maybe mine’s off the mark) of self-awareness is different. To my mind, self-awareness can be retrospective with the aim to improve, while emotional intelligence is the ‘in the moment’. To be clear, I agree with the examples given and salient point you make at the end, I just tend to give Bass much more benefit of the doubt than saying ‘chauvinist, a xenophobe, a poor attempt at a sensationalist’, as those are quite harsh labels imo.

Yes, it’s a silly way to refer to a silly topic, I just have far too much of it in my life. It’s probably because I have an evangelistic (is that a word?) young-earth creationist sat next to me in the office and my tolerance for the topic has hit an all-time low.
Indeed. I think those definitions explain the divide in our conversation.

I'm being a bit harsh on the old boy, as those labels refer to a few specific talking points that have popped up on the show. It may be that he tries to play devil's advocate and never brings the conversation full circle, or it may be that he's just that myopic on some topics. His "America First" stuff toes a line, and usually crosses into, America>> ____. For reference, the episode about Kanoa wining the US Open. See also his depiction of Brazilian surfers. See also, his seemingly recoiling reaction to the idea that the WSL (and SIMA in an earlier episode of SPIT) would be better off if they put an emphasis on diversity.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I can't remember all the specifics, but get your point.
Hard to really know what he feels, but I sense that he's got a wicked sense of humour and indeed does play the devil's advocate, and is a contrarian by nature (something that is very much in my own nature, hence why I probably give him far more benefit haha).

As for the 'America >>' comment, I don't see that as a bad thing (within limits) and a bit of national pride is commendable. I'm saying that as a non-American btw.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Listened to Bassy's interview of Zanadu and that was pretty interesting.

Chris Mauro has a new podcast called people who surf. Peter King was awesome but not nearly long enough.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Matt always come across as cantankerous / ornery, but I quite like that about his persona. I remember the rant he was referring to ... some dude on Facebook had a good old whinge about MR surfboards / Lost colab. Did that rant come up on these forums too, or was that all FB drama?