***Official Surf Podcast Thread***

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
552
222
43
^ seriously.

I love the guys and am very grateful too for the content... that said, the latest one with Devin and Chas was a cringeathon. christ from the foil opinions to hearing them say "Le QWA" (La Croix) over and over again, jesus.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-pronounce-lacroix-water-2016-9?r=UK&IR=T
 

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
2,071
1,912
113
xmesa said:
^ seriously.

I love the guys and am very grateful too for the content... that said, the latest one with Devin and Chas was a cringeathon. christ from the foil opinions to hearing them say "Le QWA" (La Croix) over and over again, jesus.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-pronounce-lacroix-water-2016-9?r=UK&IR=T
I liked it. Made me laugh. They're not taking things seriously. They're just shooting the sh!t and taking the ****!
 

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
44,012
18,642
113
Petak Island
ghostshaper said:
shaheeb said:
scales mostly seems sincere. chas seems like he has an axe to grind and may just very well be a kook which is ok? i guess?

dont mind bass too much b/c he goes for some really good guys, really appreciate the biolas, timmy patterson etc....keep it coming and thanks for the hard work... way better than i or many of us could do...
He is a kook. There's a video of him at Kelly's ranch and he can barely pump down the line.
The wave you're referring to shows him surfing better than 75% of the people in the water.

Would you go balls out on what was your first of maybe 2 or 3 waves at the Surf Ranch?

No. You would take it easy and get a feel, than maybe a barrel at the end like Chas.

What's better is that beachgrit makes fun of the new wsl guy for being an adult learner, when clearly chas is.
:confused2:

Chas has surfed since he was a kid. He grew up in Coos Bay. So my guess is he isn't a kook or an adult learner but a surf addict.


Now that I know he can't surf, it makes all his BS he spews even more bs. Like some people that post here. :rolleyes:
What has Chas spewed that's BS?

From what I've heard most people in surfing outside of WSL management/investors and the STAB advertorial group like the guy.





 

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
44,012
18,642
113
Petak Island
MICHAEL TOMSON
MICHAEL TOMSON
MICHAEL TOMSON

Does anyone have the balls to get this guy on a podcast???

He's by far one of the most interesting characters in surfing.
Great surfer
Great surf journalist
Founder of Gotcha
South African
Brother of Shaun
World traveler
wildman
etc.


 

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
6,268
2,919
113
1134
casa_mugrienta said:
ghostshaper said:
shaheeb said:
scales mostly seems sincere. chas seems like he has an axe to grind and may just very well be a kook which is ok? i guess?

dont mind bass too much b/c he goes for some really good guys, really appreciate the biolas, timmy patterson etc....keep it coming and thanks for the hard work... way better than i or many of us could do...
He is a kook. There's a video of him at Kelly's ranch and he can barely pump down the line.
The wave you're referring to shows him surfing better than 75% of the people in the water.

Would you go balls out on what was your first of maybe 2 or 3 waves at the Surf Ranch?

No. You would take it easy and get a feel, than maybe a barrel at the end like Chas.

What's better is that beachgrit makes fun of the new wsl guy for being an adult learner, when clearly chas is.
:confused2:

Chas has surfed since he was a kid. He grew up in Coos Bay. So my guess is he isn't a kook or an adult learner but a surf addict.


Now that I know he can't surf, it makes all his BS he spews even more bs. Like some people that post here. :rolleyes:
What has Chas spewed that's BS?

From what I've heard most people in surfing outside of WSL management/investors and the STAB advertorial group like the guy.
Even if someone is just cruising, it's easy to tell if they can surf or not. He clearly can't. Have another video of him?

His strong opinions mean as much as Erik Logan's. Adult learner, Johnny come lately kook stoke.
 

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
6,268
2,919
113
1134
almost finished w/ the MC podcast on the way into work today.

Can somebody tell me where I need to fast forward to past all the Jesus talk? I wanna hear about what MC thinks about Burch. Why do these surfboard podcasts keep going back to Christianity? :foreheadslap:
 

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
3,131
4,735
113
Innzid
ghostshaper said:
almost finished w/ the MC podcast on the way into work today.

Can somebody tell me where I need to fast forward to past all the Jesus talk? I wanna hear about what MC thinks about Burch. Why do these surfboard podcasts keep going back to Christianity? :foreheadslap:
You should listen through that bit. Worth it, as it's part of the big picture.

And MC isn't being all hallelujah on us, but is talking about finding something to anchor him in the middle of a life shitstorm. And, thankfully, not trying to convert the rest of us.

 

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
3,359
820
113
Malibu, CA
Kyle Theirmann podcast with Kai Lenny and Jeff Clark wasn't a bad way to kill an hour while driving for work today.

"You're not barreled unless you can see the wave on the beach side of you."
 

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
6,268
2,919
113
1134
Finished it on the way home today. Here's my take:
I love listening to MC mainly b/c he's good at conveying his passion for his design, and he's good at talking it up. I had to have one of his deep concave boards after he resurrected his label from the BASE debacle. My good friend wanted one, too, and now, MCs are all he rides.

I'm not surprised that he turned to Jesus, given his past. I feel like religion recruits people that need hope in their lives. I'm a science person, and there's no place for the supernatural or invisible people in my life (but that's me).

It was super interesting hearing the last segment on Burch and Machado. MC took David's standard questions and ran w/ it. It was interesting to hear how much MC respects them. I also noticed how he refers to Machado as a designer, as opposed to a shaper. I think Machado falls into the category of amazing surfer that could make anything work.

 

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
33,961
24,083
113
Tower 13
Latest episode of Spit is somewhat interesting. Talks about a drunk altercation with Hayden and AJW about overseas production.

Then David asks Bassy what his true take is on the overseas boards. He explains pretty well why a lot of people support their local shaper.
 

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
6,268
2,919
113
1134
Thanks, I'll listen to it next. I just finished Derek hynd's. I thought the most interesting part was at the end when he talks about the drug influence in the industry. Wish David asked him about the pro who tested positive for PEDs.

Currently on the Tomo podcast. I think Tomo made a good choice in signing w fw. He has a sweet life bc of it. I was laughing to myself when bassy asked if he's recognized in the parking lots now, and immediately thought of our new resident fw fanboi.
 

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
33,961
24,083
113
Tower 13
Lol yeah I thought that was funny too. Imagine how many people paddle up to and around you. I'd be annoyed but It comes with the territory I guess.

I'm not a fan of FW but I absolutely cannot blame tomo for going that route. He seems to have the greatest shaping gig in the industry IMO.
 

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
10,173
9,326
113
Central California
Just finished the Derek Hynd interview.

That guy needs to smoke a joint.

I can't even imagine how far beyond the looking glass he would go.

:smokin:
 

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
2,071
1,912
113
ghostshaper said:
almost finished w/ the MC podcast on the way into work today.

Can somebody tell me where I need to fast forward to past all the Jesus talk? I wanna hear about what MC thinks about Burch. Why do these surfboard podcasts keep going back to Christianity? :foreheadslap:
Haha! I was just gonna post something along those lines. The last few ones Scott Bass has done have been full of that fairytale: Damien Hobgood, Ryan Sakal...I usually just stop listening. Gets tiring. The Surf Splendor one with Switchfoot was going the same way, so I stopped that one too. NO ONE CARES! WE JUST WANNA LISTEN TO SURF STUFF AND STORIES OF PEOPLE GETTING DRUNK N WILD AND RAGING!