***Official Surf Podcast Thread***

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yeah, there's a couple solid wedges out there. It's fun.

You wouldn't use any of that footage would you? It's pathetic.

I deserved come last...cause I'm a kook.

Small waves. I fuckin hate it.

Just keep lookin around, have to get some more waves!

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
… If you want to look at arrogance in the surf world look at Dave Parmenter. That's arrogance. Of course Dave would claim he's not part of the surf world....:rolleyes:
Parmenter makes the worst rails I’ve ever seen. I liked Finnegan’s book for the journey and surfing aspects, but he sounds like a drag to be around. The Tavarua chapter was cool.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
I enjoyed this and found it interesting

I only saw a clip of Nat saying he got paid too much for winning a contest years ago, now they get less boo hoo.Do they talk about what kind of ROI companies get for sponsoring surfers?

Reactions: Mr J

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I only saw a clip of Nat saying he got paid too much for winning a contest years ago, now they get less boo hoo.Do they talk about what kind of ROI companies get for sponsoring surfers?
So I should say that I have come to the end of a tough year at work and in a relaxed receptive mood for this sort of interview and I found his personality congenial. Normally I don't have time for this sort of thing and I have hardly watched any podcasts.

He wasn't complaining about the reduction in contest prize money, just explaining it - I looked at his WSL record and he is not a big winner anyway so I suppose he wouldn't be too bothered. He said that he doesn't have the personality for being a youtuber such as JOB, but also doesn't have to do a regular job, so he must be earning a living from his sponsors.

My wife teaches marketing in a Bangkok uni and I am with her now, so asked her your ROI question (he doesn't answer that). So she said bottom line of any marketing campaign is revenue, but that could be a bit hard to measure on an individual. If he isn't a big winner then it comes down to being a good "brand ambassador". A company would consider the following qualities for brand ambassador. Not being an arsehole - some top athletes are so driven and aggressive that they aren't top choices for ambassador because of their unpleasant personality. So being a likeable chap would be important. Does he get talked about a lot? Entering competitions would be important, but not important to win, just get noticed. Also instagram "social engagement" - likes, comments and shares from his fans. Being good looking is important too.

Reactions: sozzle

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
So I should say that I have come to the end of a tough year at work and in a relaxed receptive mood for this sort of interview and I found his personality congenial. Normally I don't have time for this sort of thing and I have hardly watched any podcasts.

He wasn't complaining about the reduction in contest prize money, just explaining it - I looked at his WSL record and he is not a big winner anyway so I suppose he wouldn't be too bothered. He said that he doesn't have the personality for being a youtuber such as JOB, but also doesn't have to do a regular job, so he must be earning a living from his sponsors.

My wife teaches marketing in a Bangkok uni and I am with her now, so asked her your ROI question (he doesn't answer that). So she said bottom line of any marketing campaign is revenue, but that could be a bit hard to measure on an individual. If he isn't a big winner then it comes down to being a good "brand ambassador". A company would consider the following qualities for brand ambassador. Not being an arsehole - some top athletes are so driven and aggressive that they aren't top choices for ambassador because of their unpleasant personality. So being a likeable chap would be important. Does he get talked about a lot? Entering competitions would be important, but not important to win, just get noticed. Also instagram "social engagement" - likes, comments and shares from his fans. Being good looking is important too.
You’re living in Thailand full time now?

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Not sure if it was already discussed earlier, but I listened to the Victor Bernardo pod last week. Sounded like his previous sponsor (Bong?) dropped him after he wasn’t getting contest results. Seemed like the album thing came out of the blue. But man, what a good fit. His clips for them are really good surfing.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Not sure if it was already discussed earlier, but I listened to the Victor Bernardo pod last week. Sounded like his previous sponsor (Bong?) dropped him after he wasn’t getting contest results. Seemed like the album thing came out of the blue. But man, what a good fit. His clips for them are really good surfing.
Album has keen eye for picking up has beens and reviving their career. Asher, Kerr, Freestone, VB and now Margo. IDK maybe the boards just work that well. Guys that seemed unremarkable now ripping. Exception being Margo he was top tier talent in his day.

Reactions: JDJ

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Album has keen eye for picking up has beens and reviving their career. Asher, Kerr, Freestone, VB and now Margo. IDK maybe the boards just work that well. Guys that seemed unremarkable now ripping. Exception being Margo he was top tier talent in his day.
Disagree. Asher was always so freaken talented. So was vb and freestone. Not good competitors though.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
You’re living in Thailand full time now?
@Retropete No, here for my annual christmas holiday. My wife does. Have been planning to retire here - maybe a few more years working to take me up to age 65 - will have to see how the job goes, nothing is certain. Was going to get a mini skatepark poured on some up country property where my mother in law lives and make regular trips to the gulf and andaman - that was a stupid idea - earlier this year in Oz I dislocated my shoulder in the skatepark and incurred axillary nerve damage (thankfully recovered). No concrete poured and I have completely given up skateboarding. Just had 10 days in the gulf of thailand - was lucky to have stand up-able waves every day. The problem now is that without skateboarding I don't think I can handle prolonged periods away from the coast, My wife realises this too - I explained that I have higher than normal enthusiasm levels for surfing - love the 5 second interval junk. She is planning on early retirement and joining me for a few years in Oz, not sure how things will work out after that.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Disagree. Asher was always so freaken talented. So was vb and freestone. Not good competitors though.
Not saying they weren’t talented they all are exceptional. Just that they kinda fell off but Album had an eye to pick them up, put them on camera and bring them back into the public eye. Kerr was a top competitor for a long time but was never really that entertaining to watch in the past as he is now on Album.