***Official Surf Podcast Thread***

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Episode 2 with Hank was really good.
Just finished Ep 1, loved it.

Real deal shaper. Guy should publish a collection of stories from his past - he has good recall and there must be a wealth of them. The podcast seemed to only scratch the surface.

I would really like to know the details of why California was stuck on dogshit pintail Hawaiian surf craft while the Aussies and East Coast moved on without them. Have always wondered about this and haven't really heard anyone address it til now.

Reactions: urchined

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Just listened to the Surf Splendor podcast with Derek Hynd last night. At the very end he starts to get into the very dark side of the drug scene within the professional surfing world of the 70s 80s and 90s culminating with the death of AI. He basically threatened to write a book exposing it. That's where the interview ended. I wish it would have continued from there and I hope one day that Derek writes that book. Hynd really lets pro surfing have it over cheating and the drug scene.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chocki and urchined

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Another great use for surf podcasts other than using them to fall asleep. They make a great replacement for the audio on a WSL webcast. Right now I've got the podcast above running with the WSL webcast on another tab. Perfect.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Just wanna keep saying STFU to Benji. He won’t let the man talk and takes him off track time and time again. What a podcasting kook!
I
A: Fell asleep watching it.
B: Wanted Benji to STFU when he was interrupting him all the time. Made me wonder what he had ingested beforehand?
Worst thing is because I fell asleep I'm going to have to watch it again to find out if there was anything really interesting in it other than the standard history questions.
At least it's easy to find again since Frosty posted it it on any thread he could think of.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I
A: Fell asleep watching it.
B: Wanted Benji to STFU when he was interrupting him all the time. Made me wonder what he had ingested beforehand?
Worst thing is because I fell asleep I'm going to have to watch it again to find out if there was anything really interesting in it other than the standard history questions.
At least it's easy to find again since Frosty posted it it on any thread he could think of.
You didn't miss much because whenever it started getting interesting Benji would cut in with some nonsense about being buddies with Kelly, surfing the wave pool and his own thoughts on vee bottoms...

If you watch it on YouTube, the last few minutes have the board in the vid, so that's nice.

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
I thought it was funny when Benji asked if Firewire was built in China and if Dark Arts are built in Thailand. :roflmao: