***Official Strange, Dark, and Mysterious Thread***

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
Let's hear any of your strange, true stories in a few paragraphs. I've seen maybe 100 Youtubes by "Mr.Ballen" Jon Allen, the X Navy SEAL. He takes stories from a compilation by David Paulides "Missing 411" documented stories, and tells them in a short 10-minute version. There are thousands of missing persons reports, and hundreds of them are strange. Missing persons are usually skilled, expert outdoor people, or think they are. Here is one that I remember and wonder if anyone saw it? Tell me what I missed. I don't remember exactly, but it was something like this:

A guy and his girlfriend took a cable-tram ride up to a high elevation. It was like Palm Springs Aerial Tramway. After hiking around up top all day they missed the last ride down to base and were stranded on the mountain. They thought they could hike down the mountain side. As they descended the mountain it got steeper and steeper. They came to a drop, maybe a 10-foot cliff, down to a river stream. They realized that if they slid down to the river, they could not go back. They slid and jumped down, and hiked along the river. They saw a single-person tent set up, just a canvas draped over a tree branch. They looked inside the tent and found a sleeping bag and other camping gear, and a calendar with notes written each day like a diary. They saw the last note was dated a few days ago. That means the camper can't be too far away! They hiked down the stream until they made a terrible discovery. There was no way down, just a water fall of 100 feet. Down at the bottom they saw a body and figured it was the camper who tried to climb down but fell to his death. Turns out that is what happened.

Now they were trapped on a ledge with no way down. Back at the tent they discovered, under the sleeping bag, a plastic bag with matches. They could build a signal fire! They also discovered the calendar was ONE YEAR OLD. That camper fell to his death a year ago. They found a big, dead tree that looked like it would burn. It went up like a torch, it was so dry and oily. The big smoky fire was seen and they were rescued, because they found matches!

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
The strangest thing that happened to me was when I was on acid in the desert. But the most impactful weird event that happened to me was when my surfboard flew out from under me and arched so that the nose penetrated the water at an angle that sent my board (7'10" with a rounded pin tail) back into my face! However, I was VERY LUCKY it hit my cheek about an inch under my eye. Later I stopped at a hospital to get stitched on my way home.

I had the opportunity to join a youth encounter 3-day, 2-night retreat at St. Andrew's Abby in Valyermo Calif, summer of 1973. Valyermo, California - Wikipedia My parents were fans and supporters of the Benedictine monks that were expelled from China and relocated there. My intention was to hike away from the monastery with my sleeping bag and drop acid and stay out all night by myself, and have some kind of "warrior's vision." What I saw was not a hallucination.

At sunset I was coming onto the acid. I was frightened to see someone walking towards me thru the desert brush. However, it was only Tom who I met at the encounter. He happened to be a student at UCSB, which is where I was going to start school in the fall, just a few weeks later!! What a coincidence! (A month later I would meet Tom again in the water at Sands beach in Isla Vista where we were both surfing.) I invited him to sit down, and we began to talk. He said a lady in the group saw me hiking up the hill with my sleeping bag and suggested that someone could not survive out alone in the desert.

We sat there talking until we noticed a line of 5 or 6 lights in the sky moving from right to left from our position. We had both read the books of Carlos Castaneda. I asked Tom what are those? He tried to freak me out by saying that he summoned them. The lights moved in single file, like a snake slithering along the ground. When the first one turned the one behind it followed, as all the other lights did. Then they were moving left to right in the distance, miles away. Then they turned again and flew directly over us. It was as if they knew we were there. All we could see was a single light on each jet, or whatever. The strange and mysterious part of it was there was only ONE light on each jet and we could only see that light.

As they flew over us, I got the impression they were UFOs and were pretending to be jet aircraft because we heard the sound of jets, but they were flying too slow for jets, and the "jet" sound seemed fake to me. Like they had speakers making the sound of jets. Also, it was strange that out of the entire desert they flew directly over us as though they knew we were there. After that I decided to not sleep out that night. Tom and I walked back to the monastery. I went back to my retreat hotel room, and he went to his. I could not sleep and kept seeing weird things because of the acid I was on. So, I went out to the main lounge and saw a girl I met at the encounter. I told her I was on acid and could not sleep. Tina Nichols and I stayed up all night talking in the lounge. I was so glad for her company because I was scared of the dark at that point. Before it was over, I got her phone number, and I dated her once. There was one more strange thing about this story.

In the Castaneda books Carlos told about when don Juan and his party of sorcerers turned into inorganic beings and went up into the sky. They burned with the fire from within and "darted past the Eagle to be free." I believe it was the last sentence from "The Eagle's Gift" Carlos said "I thought of the plumed serpent of the Toltec legend and then the lights were gone." Those lights moved like a snake thru the sky. It turns out in the books don Juan and his cohorts left the earth in the summer of 1973, which is when I experience this!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Chocki

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
3 strange stories in 16 minutes. I'm not a fan of his comments about the "like" button. How can anyone say they "like" for strange, dark, or mysterious things to happen?