***Official Stanley Cup Thread***

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
wow your for real Broadstreet bully , Poulin can talk he's great on tsn hockey games when he goes back to those years that doc on the flyers way back hbo was all-time , I'd still take that team the era over anything we watch now
Yes, consider myself lucky to have experienced, first-hand, something as special as 'The Broad Street Bullies', as a kid. I don't remember much about the first Cup in '74, but I was ALL IN (and have been ever since) in '75. Can still remember being in the backyard of my Aunt and Uncle's rowhouse in NE Philly, watching the game with the whole neighborhood, when they won in Buffalo in '75 and the entire city pouring into the streets to celebrate..........absolutely magical. A few days later, I got to miss school and go to the parade with one of my older cousins and his criminal friends :oops:.

They went back to the Cup the following year, and it was supposed to be 'The Hat Trick in '76', but injuries to both Rick MacLeish and Bernie Parent in the Finals stung hard and the Canadians took it. If I'm not mistaken, I think since winning that last Cup in '75, my Flyers have the distinct honor of having LOST the most Stanley Cups since!! I really thought they were going to do it in 2010, but once again they came up short. Now it's a freaking yard sale of an organization (but I'll be bleeding Orange & Black till the day I die, haha).

The HBO doc you mentioned 'The Broad Street Bullies' is incredible and does a great job of not only capturing the team, but the spirit of the entire city, during that time. Those legendary players still walk on water in Philly and despite his shortcomings as an executive for the Flyers, Bobby Clarke is still a God in the city (I actually played from the time I was a kid, up until my early 30's and always wore #16 in his honor).

I tell everyone that whether you love or hate the Flyers, or if you're just a sports fan in general, WATCH this documentary, as it is an absolutely AMAZING sports story. The entire thing can be found on YouTube and is well worth the hour.

As a side note, if you really liked that team and era of hockey, one of the players (Orest Kindrachuck's) son has a podcast called 'My Dad Used to Play Hockey' that's focused on the 'Bullies' and has had lots of the players and other key figures from that era, on. It's pretty epic (and at times downright hilarious) and as the description says.........'They were bullies, snipers, journeymen, netminders and above all else....legends.'

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
I heard Rob Zombie on a podcast mention he was trying to make a film about the The Broad Street Bullies. Not sure if it ever got legs.