*** Official South Bay Thread ***

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Had dinner at Cheesecake Factory last night and walking around the harbor afterwards we were seeing schools (only way to describe it) of small stingrays. I had a boat in King Harbor for years and only saw an occasional stingray. Wonder what's going on? Water was crystal clear by the way. King Harbor has always had the cleanest water of any harbor I've seen in Southern California. I would always clean the bottom of my boat myself because the water was inviting.

Also last week, after surfing the Cove in the morning, I saw a string of boats stretching past Indicator, all more or less in a line ,the same distance offshore (1 to 1-1/2 mile offshore), stretching towards Marina Del Rey, A quick count was over 90 boats. I figured there was some fish run or something. Any fishermen know something about that?

LogHauler

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 29, 2010
I am down visiting the folks and decided to jump in the water. I was down between Longfellow and Neptune. As I was getting out I saw the weirdest things scattered along the high tide line. At first glance they looked like pieces of jellyfish tentacles... and I think are are certainly related to jellyfish. But they are shaped and sized more like starfish arms.. complete with little bumps... and the line on them went on and on down the beach. Any ideas? There were no jellyfish in the water.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Why is the water at the Cove always murky? I've been surfing there over 40 years. I go there in the middle of summer when it's been flat for months. Still murky. You can never see the bottom from the lineup at Middles.

Was told by a fisherman that there ar big seven gill sharks out there.

Tempted to go out right now because waves look good. Into the urban run off....

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I guess LA surfers don't like getting wet. It was offshore, head high, corners everywhere...and no one out. Where is everybody? When I paddled out there was one guy out and he said, "I'm glad you paddled out." People don't say that in the heart of a surf metropolis. Best session so far this winter. Thanks!.

Last edited:
Reactions: ~rwright~