*** Official South Bay Thread ***

buttholesurfer

Duke status
Dec 20, 2002
RatBeach
Still a fun ride from San Pedro to Santa Monica,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Especially if konw the way. :cheers: :roflmao:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the heart of your soul.

Reactions: brukuns

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Still a fun ride from San Pedro to Santa Monica,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Especially if konw the way. :cheers: :roflmao:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the heart of your soul.
I know a guy who does ultra marathons. I asked him how he trains for them? One of his training runs was to start at Rat Beach and run on the rocks all the way round to Cabrillo Beach.

Reactions: buttholesurfer

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
I know a guy who does ultra marathons. I asked him how he trains for them? One of his training runs was to start at Rat Beach and run on the rocks all the way round to Cabrillo Beach.
wait what...there are at least 3 spots that are (or used to be i guess) impassable, even just around hags to the cove....thats nuts

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
wait what...there are at least 3 spots that are (or used to be i guess) impassable, even just around hags to the cove....thats nuts
He's nuts. I asked him once if he did the Badwater Ultramarathon- 135 miles from the lowest point in Death Valley to Whitney Portal, elevation 8,374 ft....in the summer. He said, "No... but I was a pacer for a guy who did it. I only did the first 70 miles." Only?! The first 70 miles is all of Death Valley and Panamint Valley. :crazy2:

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Wow, you guys weren't kidding.

Drove out in the morning drizzle to check spots from Redondo to El Porto, hoping a spot with some structure like the Topaz St. Jetty or one of the Piers would produce something even slightly interesting. Nothing I saw made me want to get in the water with anything other than a Bodyboard (which I didn't have with me).:bricks:

View attachment 162241
View attachment 162242

Looking south towards Palos Verdes with Lunada Bay just around the point. You could see Catalina later in the day as the weather cleared out.
View attachment 162243

Looking south at Hermosa Beach Pier...
View attachment 162244View attachment 162245

Liked this one... at least shoulder high when it threw and would knock you down for sure. Just right onto the sand.
View attachment 162246

Classic LA shot here with a bicyclist along the strand in the foreground, a volleyball game, a beachgoer, a lone surfer, and ships in the bay...
View attachment 162247

A couple of packs out furthest north of Manhattan Beach Pier and El Porto, but from what I stuck around to watch, no one was getting anything good, and mostly just getting chucked by the shore pound surge.

Great sunsets from our friends house... Until next time friends.
We called those “Body Whompin “ days. No good for surfing but hella fun trying not to break our necks in the shorepound.

Reactions: buttholesurfer

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I'll cautiously say that waves (sandbars?) have returned to the South Bay after a 6 month hiatus. Last two days have been really fun. I kind of feel that there is still the deep trench inside the outer bar. So we might still need a decent swell and low tide to havd anything but shorepound, but the last two days had decent swell and morning low tide.

:applause2:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I'll cautiously say that waves (sandbars?) have returned to the South Bay after a 6 month hiatus. Last two days have been really fun. I kind of feel that there is still the deep trench inside the outer bar. So we might still need a decent swell and low tide to havd anything but shorepound, but the last two days had decent swell and morning low tide.

:applause2:
eh - dont celebrate to early. bars seemed off this morning. weird mid tide all morning and it was missing the outer bar for the most part and doubling up on the inside. still a few fun omnes but i was on a midlength. wouldve been pretty wack on a shortbaord.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
eh - dont celebrate to early. bars seemed off this morning. weird mid tide all morning and it was missing the outer bar for the most part and doubling up on the inside. still a few fun omnes but i was on a midlength. wouldve been pretty wack on a shortbaord.
Yeah I dawn patrolled today and got it on the low and it was still good but started backing off as the tide came up. I think a small swell will not break outside even on the low.

Reactions: CutnSnip

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Interesting shot. My guess is the late 50's. I grew up right where the distinct dividing line is, in the top portion. The one canyon that gets truncated by the line was right across the street from my elementary school and was our after school playground (totally unsupervised play :jamon: ). In high school we grew plants down there and one day we went to inspect and water and the whole canyon was filled in and flattened. Now the site of multi million dollar homes.

129232647_10224896720070968_478463591598066141_n.jpg

Reactions: tacos

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
where did you find this? really interesting photo of the early estates. i see lunada bay elementary but no margate and cant make out pvhs though the baseball diamond wouldve been where the athletic fields were during my tenure.

our house on avenida mirola hasnt been built yet so it pre dates 1964

thanks for the share

Reactions: tacos and ElOgro