*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Kachina laps are exhausting. A quick hike up the ridge top of lift 2 provides. Lift 7/7A tree laps. A large beer in the sun at the Bavarian.
Bro I was literally just thinking about how I’ll probably be tired just getting over to the base of Kachina lift/the Bavarian smh. NGL I could be going into this game in a lot more better shape smh.

Coming off a 3 week layoff. Texas spring break, walked dogs the only day the pass was open last week(it slid), then got sick. So I don’t know where my fitness level is at anymore.

At least I’m stocked on my skills in general and especially riding steeps. I put effort into getting better, researching and practicing techniques and it pays off in spades.

When was you there last? I can’t remember who from here went last season bc weed is tight

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
West Basin Ridge = “steep narrow chutes that you’ll have to straight line a full thousand vert down a sheer vertical pitch”
My stomach hurts now

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I was down there last spring for 5 days. No fresh, spring conditions but still fun and it's nice not being cold while skiing
Im stocked to finally get there. Riding Tues-Sat. Sposed to snow Mon pm - Tuesday day, couple inches then get prog warmer.

Just finished flying around the place with FATMAP. As dank as trail maps are it takes a fm session for it to really start making sense

Kachina
5830C0E5-323F-453B-B51A-62A5192CA93A.jpeg

Highline
B028424C-79A4-4ACF-8921-D2D47FD0FBD8.jpeg

7D2CB9D9-F4EB-4007-88CF-88142C28B16D.png

West Basin
A0639F93-2BC7-471B-A20B-1B4C2AB2CB2A.png

Reactions: hammies

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Another propane leak triggered explosion in Mammoth early this morning, April 1. This is real, not a joke. No one was home or this could have been fatal. Please read every word here and if you live with propane gas as a heat/energy source, be aware. This situation is not going to get better for many weeks. There will be huge snow loads on our properties for months.

JUNIPER ROAD EXPLOSION THIS MORNING - WARNING: Buried propane lines and regulators are an imminent threat to life and property. To mitigate threat, lines and regulators must be cleared of snow and ice where propane enters the home.
<< INCIDENT UPDATE >> #JuniperRoad – Emergency Crews are on scene of an explosion on the 200 block of Juniper Road. The single-family home was unoccupied at the time of the explosion, which occurred at approximately 0130 this morning, April 1, 2023. The explosion likely caused a structure fire, which resulted in the evacuation of nearby residences. Additionally, the fire caused snowmelt flooding, resulting in the evacuation of a nearby condominium complex. First Responders, including Mutual Aid Resources, have completed searching the area for victims. Safety personnel continue to monitor the fire and evaluate the surrounding buildings. Please avoid the area it is an active scene, please help us keep the roads open for emergency vehicles.
Take this weekend to clear snow and ice from your propane pipes, valves, regulators, and tanks. In addition, do not bury your tank or the connection to your house from snow from your roof or when removing snow with equipment. Heavy accumulations of snow or ice falling on tanks, regulators, meters, piping, or valves may cause damage that could result in a gas leak. BE ALERT – if you smell gas immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire. LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY, and from a neighbor’s home or other nearby building away from the gas leak, call 9-1-1. DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR THE AREA until it is safe to do so.

338768462_919041305811243_3000592784168661938_n.jpg339143654_101587356239069_7941832694878817115_n.jpg339142859_246765194412383_3433222250297454000_n.jpg

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Another propane leak triggered explosion in Mammoth early this morning, April 1. This is real, not a joke. No one was home or this could have been fatal. Please read every word here and if you live with propane gas as a heat/energy source, be aware. This situation is not going to get better for many weeks. There will be huge snow loads on our properties for months.

JUNIPER ROAD EXPLOSION THIS MORNING - WARNING: Buried propane lines and regulators are an imminent threat to life and property. To mitigate threat, lines and regulators must be cleared of snow and ice where propane enters the home.
<< INCIDENT UPDATE >> #JuniperRoad – Emergency Crews are on scene of an explosion on the 200 block of Juniper Road. The single-family home was unoccupied at the time of the explosion, which occurred at approximately 0130 this morning, April 1, 2023. The explosion likely caused a structure fire, which resulted in the evacuation of nearby residences. Additionally, the fire caused snowmelt flooding, resulting in the evacuation of a nearby condominium complex. First Responders, including Mutual Aid Resources, have completed searching the area for victims. Safety personnel continue to monitor the fire and evaluate the surrounding buildings. Please avoid the area it is an active scene, please help us keep the roads open for emergency vehicles.
Take this weekend to clear snow and ice from your propane pipes, valves, regulators, and tanks. In addition, do not bury your tank or the connection to your house from snow from your roof or when removing snow with equipment. Heavy accumulations of snow or ice falling on tanks, regulators, meters, piping, or valves may cause damage that could result in a gas leak. BE ALERT – if you smell gas immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire. LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY, and from a neighbor’s home or other nearby building away from the gas leak, call 9-1-1. DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR THE AREA until it is safe to do so.

View attachment 151535View attachment 151536View attachment 151538
As a firefighter myself, this is absolutely frickin' terrifying...can't imagine trying to fight a fire with 20' of snow on the ground...glad no one was home.

Reactions: oeste858 and Chocki

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
As a firefighter myself, this is absolutely frickin' terrifying...can't imagine trying to fight a fire with 20' of snow on the ground...glad no one was home.
No doubt all the convict labor up here in the past couple months who have been digging out fire hydrants are appreciated.

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
This weekend was my best powder weekend of the season. Knee + pow on Saturday and Thigh high Sunday. Saturday was windy and dumping, so it kept the crowds away and tracks were filled In on every run. By Sunday the word was out and wind dropped off, so it was typical race for pow laps and I was in the lift line 20 minutes before opening. It was a veritable powder orgy. My new skis, Elan Ripstick 106 Black edition in 188, were perfect. Super stocked and a great way to cap the season. Even found the tree run “Star Wars” which is aptly named, it’s like flying thru the forest on Endor. I would have taken more pics but I was solo (wife & daughter stayed home) so I was too busy getting la…

Towed our camper home last night after having it up in the mountains for the season. It’s a good little RV park and the elk are usually somewhere nearby, often right out our front door.

51866B40-BAE0-4B3E-99BB-88ED64A8A3E4.jpeg

04B9682C-913D-406C-99D5-7955F0E4C66E.jpeg

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Im stocked to finally get there. Riding Tues-Sat. Sposed to snow Mon pm - Tuesday day, couple inches then get prog warmer.

Just finished flying around the place with FATMAP. As dank as trail maps are it takes a fm session for it to really start making sense

Kachina
View attachment 151517

Highline
View attachment 151518

View attachment 151519

West Basin
View attachment 151520
Subway'd in New Mexico? The mountain has been completely shutdown since Saturday due to this water distribution failure. Hopefully they can figure it out soon to salvage your trip from being completely Subway'd.
Screenshot_20230403-115751~2.png

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Subway'd in New Mexico? The mountain has been completely shutdown since Saturday due to this water distribution failure. Hopefully they can figure it out soon to salvage your trip from being completely Subway'd.
View attachment 151661
2nd time it’s happened this year up there.
In a holding pattern rn and tbh it’s nbd. Guy at the condos thought the mtn might throw in the towel on the rest/last week of the season and they haven’t yet. Tm could very well be a partial lift hold or shutdown bc wind anyway. Wed doesn’t sound warm so rn all I care about is riding thur-sun.

Life here in the 4 corners is all about abiding

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Been in Mammoth since last Thursday.
So much snow. Been windy the past 3 days so top lifts & backside been closed. Got some great fluffy runs Friday afternoon on Chair 3. Sat & Sun was mostly around Canyon with some friends.
Snowed this morning and coldest day so far. Rode solo today while the kids were in lesson. Runs around/below Chair 5 were pretty wind-protected and had soft snow (the lift itself was closed today, so had to traverse across from top of Chair 10). Really fun day.

So glad I refreshed my gear before this trip. Loving the new Jones setup. Frontier 161W gives me so much confidence and does everything I ask it to.
I did have to get new boots tho. My old top-of-the-line-in-2010 Burton SLXs were killing my feet the first 2 days! LOL. The girl who helped me at WaveRave said the industry rumor is most boots now are designed to last about 45 days of riding! WTF?!? She said she's on her 3rd pair of boots this season (she rides Vans FWIW). Anyway, I sized up from 11.5 to 12 and definitely the right call. Tried on a couple Burtons but didn't like their built-in heel support bars around the ankle bone. Did seem like it would be comfortable after a few days of riding. Vans didn't fit my foot well. Not much left in stock in my size at this point in season, so ended up with 32 Lashed. I like the convenience of the BOA lacing: real easy to adjust on the fly, even on the lift. They are supposed to be mid-flex and feel really plush & comfy, but if I had done my usual gear research beforehand, I probably would've gotten something slightly stiffer. But these should be fine for next year.
Last day of riding tomorrow, and I'm really stocked to be getting back into it again this year. What a winter!

3/31 looking over at 23 from 3:

IMG_6555.jpeg

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
View attachment 151661
Bro I take a lot of grief for chit I had nothing to do with, and I take it with a smile, but you can’t lay an entire municipal water failure at my door, thats a bit of a stretch

• Haha
Reactions: Geopac and scdad

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Been in Mammoth since last Thursday.
So much snow. Been windy the past 3 days so top lifts & backside been closed. Got some great fluffy runs Friday afternoon on Chair 3. Sat & Sun was mostly around Canyon with some friends.
Snowed this morning and coldest day so far. Rode solo today while the kids were in lesson. Runs around/below Chair 5 were pretty wind-protected and had soft snow (the lift itself was closed today, so had to traverse across from top of Chair 10). Really fun day.

So glad I refreshed my gear before this trip. Loving the new Jones setup. Frontier 161W gives me so much confidence and does everything I ask it to.
I did have to get new boots tho. My old top-of-the-line-in-2010 Burton SLXs were killing my feet the first 2 days! LOL. The girl who helped me at WaveRave said the industry rumor is most boots now are designed to last about 45 days of riding! WTF?!? She said she's on her 3rd pair of boots this season (she rides Vans FWIW). Anyway, I sized up from 11.5 to 12 and definitely the right call. Tried on a couple Burtons but didn't like their built-in heel support bars around the ankle bone. Did seem like it would be comfortable after a few days of riding. Vans didn't fit my foot well. Not much left in stock in my size at this point in season, so ended up with 32 Lashed. I like the convenience of the BOA lacing: real easy to adjust on the fly, even on the lift. They are supposed to be mid-flex and feel really plush & comfy, but if I had done my usual gear research beforehand, I probably would've gotten something slightly stiffer. But these should be fine for next year.
Last day of riding tomorrow, and I'm really stocked to be getting back into it again this year. What a winter!

3/31 looking over at 23 from 3:

View attachment 151705
Thursday was the day for sure.!

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Thursday was the day for sure.!
Chair 3 is so 70's. My bro used to bail off the chair over the Gravy Chute. Was that chair three? I think so. Fvckin animal. We skied Dave's a lot, worth the hike. Some chutes, Scotties? Four turns on 205's. Different game now. Much more open than back then. And with the modern gear? GTFO.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006