*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
After being an intermediate skier since that first time with the boy scouts at Badger Pass waaaay back then, and seeing some of the first snowboarders up on Bachelor in Oregon, at 45 I said, 'that's it, gotta do it'...'Bout killed myself (medium athleticism here). But I finally found 'Paco' (rip) up there and he took me to the proper place I didn't want to go, the bunny slope (oh, how embarrassing, damn kids), but there I learned how to snowboard, at least to the point where I love gettin' the music going in my ears and just gliding as fast as I can on a blue run...at 71 I'll do that all day with no pain whatsoever. We're heading up to Bend next week for Thanksgiving with our kids/grandkids but Bachelor is having opening day on Friday with not that much base so I'll probably pass. Been to Whistler a few times, love that place.
Paco was indeed the man. OG as it comes around here.
The coverage is lean but it's not as bad as it's been before this time of year. We'll see how much they actually open. You should go up and shred if they open Pine and/or Sky. I'd be hyped to take a few laps with you.
Keep shredding!

Reactions: Aruka and Icu812

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Paco was indeed the man. OG as it comes around here.
The coverage is lean but it's not as bad as it's been before this time of year. We'll see how much they actually open. You should go up and shred if they open Pine and/or Sky. I'd be hyped to take a few laps with you.
Keep shredding!
I just saw somewhere or maybe one of my kids told me that they were probably only gonna run Little Pine on Friday...yeah, Paco and raisin, hard keepin' up with those guys! They were all over Cloudchaser territory off the Rainbow Chair a long time ago. Good times...I'll bring my stuff but doesn't look real good for this trip but I will be back up there...my daughters live up there so I have a place to stay..and grandkids! Cheers mate!

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Can I ask at what age do you stop snowboarding?

Last time I went, about half way through a power run, I had stop next to a tree and rest as my legs were on fire by 2pm. There I realized I was the oldest snowboarder on the mountain by at least 15 years, and I'm in my 40s. It's kind of a weird moment of reflection for me and I really started to ponder when everyone else stopped? I swear there was not a snowboarder older than 30 on the entire mountain.
Why put a number on it? Do you size up lineup demographics in the same way or do you just put your head down and surf? Don't overthink it and if you want it, work for it and train a bit. Plenty of old heads at my resort. The crew I ride with are all in mid to late 40s and when it comes to the knowledge of and riding some of the more technical off piste lines on the mountain, Id say we are holding it down pretty well while many of the younger riders are either still trying to figure it out or don't even want to work for it.

Last edited:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Can I ask at what age do you stop snowboarding?

Last time I went, about half way through a power run, I had stop next to a tree and rest as my legs were on fire by 2pm. There I realized I was the oldest snowboarder on the mountain by at least 15 years, and I'm in my 40s. It's kind of a weird moment of reflection for me and I really started to ponder when everyone else stopped? I swear there was not a snowboarder older than 30 on the entire mountain.
I’m 59 and not slowing down.
in the right conditions, I can get first tracks right through to last lift, stopping only to pee, and do that multiple days i a row
in the right conditions
jeezus, 59 sounds so fvcking old, but it doesn’t always feel old

im right now trying to figure out if an epic pass for 949 makes sense for me
I wish either snowbird or solitude were on epic, and I’m doing 4 days in Utah, but we wont decide on which mountains until we’re there

Last edited:

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I got my season pass for $413. Now I am collecting gear off the second-hand site. I need one pair of boots, 2 set of skis and some poles :)

Also I must work on my PVC rail to have outside the cabin :)

Reactions: Aruka and Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I got my season pass for $413. Now I am collecting gear off the second-hand site. I need one pair of boots, 2 set of skis and some poles :)

Also I must work on my PVC rail to have outside the cabin :)
You might think about skipping the poles bro. The really cool kids don’t use them anymore.

And once you get that rail set up there better be some footy for the erBB

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: hammies

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
You might think about skipping the poles bro. The really cool kids don’t use them anymore.

And once you get that rail set up there better be some footy for the erBB

The guys (and girls) who are at a highly competent, but not pro level of street skiing are getting broke off pretty bad :roflmao:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
The guys (and girls) who are at a highly competent, but not pro level of street skiing are getting broke off pretty bad :roflmao:
Street snowboarding/skiing is one of those things I periodically forget exists.

Im starting to wonder if I shouldn’t be running the GoonPro this winter. My research is leading me to conclude that if there’s footy you won’t get hurt?

• Haha
Reactions: hammies

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Street snowboarding/skiing is one of those things I periodically forget exists.

Im starting to wonder if I shouldn’t be running the GoonPro this winter. My research is leading me to conclude that if there’s footy you won’t get hurt?

That one again! There is some wild Jerry of the Day gold out there :)

• Love
Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Along with 4-10” new snow, forecast for tm is looking mighty alpine.

“Snow, mainly before 10am. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow, mainly before 5pm. High near 9. Wind chill values between -15 and -20. Very windy, with a west wind 40 to 45 mph decreasing to 30 to 35 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 70 mph.”

• Love
Reactions: Northern_Shores

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Got out for some turns on Wednesday and tried out the TLD knee braces. Overall pretty stocked on them/ just need to figure out how/when they will be used (front knee only, full coverage or just when I plan to get ill, etc).

Wish I was in better shape but am riding good/way ahead of last season thanks in part to taking time to do my drills and am thinking of new adventures for this winter, like the hike to ride Peak Chutes.

916AC6BB-67E4-4518-B0AF-1EAA3313A8FF.jpeg

Coupla inches of fresh td so gonna get out tm for another training day/see what else can be dialed in while I dick around carving up the groomers waiting for full coverage/legit dumps.