*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Jul 25, 2020
Thanks for that link. Really good info and explanation of independent weighting and foot work. With another la nina winter forecast, chances look pretty good up here for repeated freshies.

• Love
Reactions: Chocki

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Locked in for South Lake Tahoe the week before Christmas. After last years mercy mission, waiting out 5 days of storms / highway closures, and then a cluster fook at Heavenly, we hope going before the holiday will keep things good.

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Thanks for that link. Really good info and explanation of independent weighting and foot work. With another la nina winter forecast, chances look pretty good up here for repeated freshies.
No worries bro. My take aways were the importance of some flat base down the fall line pre turn along with finishing turns upslope to scrub speed.

Im just stocked for winter and anything more than dust on crust.

Abidance bro.
Abidance.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Kind of assumed that given your handle "nw". :LOL:

PNW sucks. Wet snow. Don't come here :p
I’d like to think there’s still a chance I’ll enter the Mt Banker baked slalom (a childhood dream of mine). This winter???

I had a feeling that with all the trees there would be snakes here. I was not disappointed. Epic even.

One day my young riding bro was feeling cheeky about riding faster than me that day so I passed him on the outside of this sick double bermed turn.

1665452563154.gif

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Last edited:
Reactions: SpudBoy

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
The seasons have changed abruptly here in PNW. We went from Octogust with highs in the 80s to the mid 40s at sea level and from minimal glaciers to snowcapped volcanos within a few days. Lotsa hype but it only takes one eary pineapple express to ruin the early season party here :ROFLMAO: Just ordered a new pair of K2 Hollgate booters on bro deal. Was so due for upgrade. I now have a fully updated kit (OrcaXUnion ForcesXK2 Hollgates) Ive put together within the last few seasons plus a relatively new DaKine 3 layer GoreTex jacket. Stocked. This will be the 1st season of my 50s. Started legitimately riding at around 20. WTF! :oops::eek:

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
The seasons have changed abruptly here in PNW. We went from Octogust with highs in the 80s to the mid 40s at sea level and from minimal glaciers to snowcapped volcanos within a few days. Lotsa hype but it only takes one eary pineapple express to ruin the early season party here :ROFLMAO: Just ordered a new pair of K2 Hollgate booters on bro deal. Was so due for upgrade. I now have a fully updated kit (OrcaXUnion ForcesXK2 Hollgates) Ive put together within the last few seasons plus a relatively new DaKine 3 layer GoreTex jacket. Stocked. This will be the 1st season of my 50s. Started legitimately riding at around 20. WTF! :oops::eek:
Stocked for you old man.
I have yet to meet someone who doesn’t love their Orca and those sound like my kind of boots (stiff/burly).

I tried some “surfy” boots last winter and while they were comfy af the performance I was after was not there. That said, they’re still a dank boot (Lashed Digger) for the right rider so if anyone has or knows a youth that could/would use a pair of 10s???

Finally can’t say enough good things about Sole footbeds. Thinner and wider than stock they added the volume I was looking for and the MET pad does a great job of distributing the pressure that comes from a performance based fit.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Last season, Mammoth opened in October.

I don't think it's happening this year.

Second storm coming for PNW and CO but nothing for us. :(

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Epic Passes for me and the kids; guest passes for the wife.

Can't wait for the snow to fly, although I need to figure out the boot situation. New ones I had last year with that BOA system left a giant ulceration on my ankle. Worst boots I ever had; maybe they can do some orthotics on it or something. Don't like the idea of shelling out for another $200 for new ones.

Have a few weeks of vacation stacked up so will be able to get a bit of mid-week boarding in at Kirkwood. Never ridden Northstar before so may give that a try too. So nice to be only a few hours from Tahoe, makes single day and weekend trips so much easier.

Stupid question - do you need to make reservations with the Epic Pass or can you just show up and ride?

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Epic Passes for me and the kids; guest passes for the wife.

Can't wait for the snow to fly, although I need to figure out the boot situation. New ones I had last year with that BOA system left a giant ulceration on my ankle. Worst boots I ever had; maybe they can do some orthotics on it or something. Don't like the idea of shelling out for another $200 for new ones.

Have a few weeks of vacation stacked up so will be able to get a bit of mid-week boarding in at Kirkwood. Never ridden Northstar before so may give that a try too. So nice to be only a few hours from Tahoe, makes single day and weekend trips so much easier.

Stupid question - do you need to make reservations with the Epic Pass or can you just show up and ride?
Show up blow up!

Let's hit Kirkwood midweek!