*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Oh man sneaky powder day yesterday! Absolutely love when we get a classic NorWester in April. 17"s in 24 with most of mountain closed for a day due to nukeing storm winds. Combo of leeward creaminess and deep wind loaded zones.

My homies I typically ride with were chasing springers on the river, so rode solo and singles all am. Got into some 2' deep pies. Highlight was linking like 5 high speed bottomless frontside slashes on an untouched line in wide open bowl. Cattle heard rallied over for some of the canyon gate openings, but I stayed put and slashed a bunch of surfy features, a gully, and against the grain lines I love on the front.

Eventually linked up with a buddy and we dipped into the canyon and one of the gates. Was pretty skied out, but found some deep pies in and along the tree lines. Orca is a great board for mining those due to its responsiveness and float and they way it threads tight lines. Apparently someone was lost and S&R efforts are underway rn. Bummer to hear. Always ride with a buddy off piste! Fun day despite the bad news today. Rode from 1st bell until 2 with 2 micro breaks and racked up my best stats yet: 15 runs, 1582 vert'. PXL_20220405_160547886-01.jpeg
Not enough storm and powder days this season, so better late then never. We need as much snowpack and water as we can get rn! Gonna be a warm spring and hot summer I think.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
You are correct on Northstar in the background.
There’s another mtn in the background? I’ve been obsessing over that ridge line.

We got another 5” so I made it out again for a few hours. For once I didn’t ride the Numbered Chutes.

Spring snow and the fact that danger is my business meant it was time to to head back to the Waterfall Area.

Fun riding past the top gate. Hoping my route finding skills are on point.
4DE1A7B7-006B-40A9-9A27-3C873D1B3587.jpeg

Looks like things are about to get interesting.
3671A5E6-D4F6-4C47-BBE6-8FB0A33AFFED.jpeg

Butt slid it.
F0CF10F2-158D-46B1-97FF-79B874838E6E.jpeg

Legit steep.
ADAFD96D-A584-425F-B8F5-ADB29F034D83.jpeg

Cat track that leads to Numbered Chutes.
Glad I took it because it gives me a decent idea where I went after.
6B3995C0-71A1-4870-8351-13E0C189E8FD.jpeg

This cliff will get dropped all next season if I can ever find it again.
3F347A9E-9736-4EFA-9B15-5687904DE952.jpeg

Time to drop in over the knoll to the right and shred that gully.
486B841B-88BF-4E8A-BDE3-23CBA510C941.jpeg

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
With the impending storm coming and over a foot predicted to dump at Kirkwood, I headed up Monday night to Pioneer with plans to get some powder Tuesday. The combination of wind and the speed of the storm caused numbers to be lower, around 7 inches, with patches of scoured faces but with pockets of extra deep stuff. I ended up being first chair on the Wall! I was a little extra anxious as I didn't want to pick the wrong line and end up with the scoured patches and/or the hard crust underneath. Ended up heading over to the chutes under the Sisters and absolutely scored! Stayed on Chair 10 the entire time with one run on Chair 6 and found fresh stuff on every run. By 11am everything was tracked out, as the backside and Timber Creek lifts are closed for the season, but I had my fill, so I called it a day. The only powder day of the year for me. Worth it.

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
Best 2+ years of my life was '94 -'96 when my parents had a vacation house in Pioneer. Would drive up there after school/work on a Thursday, then be first in line at Kirkwood the next day. Season passes for a young adult was so cheap back then. Miss that place.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
A storm cycle for the books and a dream come true for the late season lurkers and against the grainers like myself! Well it is mid April, but in general this one compared to any storm cycle I've ridden mid winter and even better cause it was just the core shreders. No crowds and all smiles, laughs, and good vibes a flowin. Felt like the 90s kinda.

Rode last 3 out of 4 days and don't know where to start. Absolutely dumfounded. Best 3 days of snowboarding I've had in many many years and likely the last powder days of my 40's. From storm riding to semi bluebird yesterday it was consistently waist deep. Mined untracked lines in all my favorite off piste zones which are steep gullies spines and chutes in mostly mature forest areas that open to occasional glades.

Sunday rode with the wifey. Semi stormy with sun breaks and shredded some zones she hasn't been in years and she did great. Monday rode with my 2 fav shredding hommies. Was nukeing and free refills kinda day. Wind was whipping on the ridge and vis was limited. 1st drop into a bowl had to point it and hold my line floating through some deep ass cold snow. Total vertigo feeling and felt like I was floating in a white vortex and well I was! Had to take Tuesday off to work and rest body. Yesterday the sky's parted and it was on like tron! Was a little late to get in line after taking a work meeting in the lot, but caught that lull after the 1st am load and came in hot into the bowl full speed laying down a few big turns throwing smoke and pulling into the white room. Buddies were on the lift hooting and hollering as I came down, which I eventually caught up with. A bestie who I've been riding with since 92! Felt solid and confident and flowed all over the mtn. Some highlights were pointing it straight through a drainage line flowing, floating, and just rolling over pillow covered rocks with just a speed check turn here and there. Or coming down a steep tree line syncing back side slashes with back hand down just leaning in to the slope balancing on just the tip of the tail, almost out of control, but in control : ) getting engulfed with every slash. Put the 53 Orca through the paces, the shortest deck I've ever ridden, and it man performed! Anyways.... long winded report. Body is trashed, but snow stoke is high rn!

Snow totals.
Screenshot_20220410-130707.pngScreenshot_20220411-155510_2.pngScreenshot_20220413-103558_2.png

And on the 4th day she cleared!
PXL_20220413_163417815.jpg

Trippy bearded face like feature I came across. See the face?
PXL_20220413_190924480.MP-02.jpeg

Another day in paradise.
PXL_20220411_201554662.jpg

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
A storm cycle for the books and a dream come true for the late season lurkers and against the grainers like myself! Well it is mid April, but in general this one compared to any storm cycle I've ridden mid winter and even better cause it was just the core shreders. No crowds and all smiles, laughs, and good vibes a flowin. Felt like the 90s kinda.

Rode last 3 out of 4 days and don't know where to start. Absolutely dumfounded. Best 3 days of snowboarding I've had in many many years and likely the last powder days of my 40's. From storm riding to semi bluebird yesterday it was consistently waist deep. Mined untracked lines in all my favorite off piste zones which are steep gullies spines and chutes in mostly mature forest areas that open to occasional glades.

Sunday rode with the wifey. Semi stormy with sun breaks and shredded some zones she hasn't been in years and she did great. Monday rode with my 2 fav shredding hommies. Was nukeing and free refills kinda day. Wind was whipping on the ridge and vis was limited. 1st drop into a bowl had to point it and hold my line floating through some deep ass cold snow. Total vertigo feeling and felt like I was floating in a white vortex and well I was! Had to take Tuesday off to work and rest body. Yesterday the sky's parted and it was on like tron! Was a little late to get in line after taking a work meeting in the lot, but caught that lull after the 1st am load and came in hot into the bowl full speed laying down a few big turns throwing smoke and pulling into the white room. Buddies were on the lift hooting and hollering as I came down, which I eventually caught up with. A bestie who I've been riding with since 92! Felt solid and confident and flowed all over the mtn. Some highlights were pointing it straight through a drainage line flowing, floating, and just rolling over pillow covered rocks with just a speed check turn here and there. Or coming down a steep tree line syncing back side slashes with back hand down just leaning in to the slope balancing on just the tip of the tail, almost out of control, but in control : ) getting engulfed with every slash. Put the 53 Orca through the paces, the shortest deck I've ever ridden, and it man performed! Anyways.... long winded report. Body is trashed, but snow stoke is high rn!

Snow totals.
View attachment 127880View attachment 127881View attachment 127882

And on the 4th day she cleared!
View attachment 127883

Trippy bearded face like feature I came across. See the face?
View attachment 127884

Another day in paradise.
View attachment 127885
Stocked for you and Iceman. Headed up this past Tuesday for what was supposed to be our last storm. 3” had fallen at most the night before and when I get down to the chair, lifty Bros tell me its too windy and they’re shutting down for the day. One lift had already tripped a tower switch. Then I got a sweet ride on a snowmobile back to where I parked.

Closing day is tm. Should be some nice spring conditions.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Epic pow day yesterday (17" in the past 2 days and cold blower conditions with light wind and alternating between dumping snow and periods of sun) at my local on MAY FUCKING EIGHTH! It's bluebird up there today so the upper half of the resort opened (it was socked in and closed yesterday) and I will undoubtedly have massive FOMO looking at Instagram but yesterday was amazing.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Good on all of you getting after it. Lowest number of days riding (3 total) in 14 seasons straight for me this year. Will always be stoked to hear about others trips though. Keep it coming.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Epic pow day yesterday (17" in the past 2 days and cold blower conditions with light wind and alternating between dumping snow and periods of sun) at my local on MAY FUCKING EIGHTH! It's bluebird up there today so the upper half of the resort opened (it was socked in and closed yesterday) and I will undoubtedly have massive FOMO looking at Instagram but yesterday was amazing.
Heard the reports..... Last day of the season at Shredbros was a pow day and the annual pond skim went down in a semi blizzard :ROFLMAO:Wow! Maybe I should of booked my surf trip a few weeks later :unsure:

Reactions: bruhdakine

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Very good chance this board will show up in the Amplid ”outlet” this summer at a drastically reduced price.

1659276744371.jpeg

Thing is fucking skitz mate. Fast af in the pow. At 160 it turns as well as my tiny 14? K2 Cool Bean. Rails groomer euro carves faster than you feel comfy doing them and why I really go it…
“In chopped out terrain it just plows through everything as if you’re driving a muscle car over a garden hose.”

Reactions: Iceman

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Already had boots but after getting the shaft on rental skis a bunch past season and almost dying after a binding released in the middle of a run I decided to get my own skis. What do I do with this stuff?
A6B4D44A-9DAF-4E63-9C67-53D9D10FF42A.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: r32 and $kully