*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Literally a warm dry Juneuary here in the PNW after 1st week of the year. And high and dry in the entire West. Spent most of last week in Western Colorado. Trip planned a long time ago around a bunch of HS friends schedules. Couple inches here and there, but mostly Roy in and am sun chasing in the PM. Fun carving around the groomers and a nice change of scenery from my home mountain esp the abundant sun and blue skies and lack of any crowds. An upper mountain lift did go one day, but was closed the next due to staffing shortages. Found some fresh up there, but also found some rocks. Didn't know the lines either, so rode it mostly in safety mode following tracks and assuming coverage was a little thin. Peps had also been hiking it so it had been skied to some degree. Good times and lucky they got pounded over the holidays to get a decent base, but did not really get the experience this mountain can offer. Hopefully a trip to Baker for a storm cycle before its all said and done this season. Only gets warmer from here on out.

View attachment 123429
Tride?

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
MRI results are in. Knee is okay but I have a high grade partial calf tear. Gonna be out for a few months of PT before I recover. This sucks .

I can’t remember if I got insurance with my ikon pass or not. I usually do but for some reason I’m doubting it this year.

• Dislike
Reactions: hammies and rice
Jan 4, 2009
San Diego
MRI results are in. Knee is okay but I have a high grade partial calf tear. Gonna be out for a few months of PT before I recover. This sucks .

I can’t remember if I got insurance with my ikon pass or not. I usually do but for some reason I’m doubting it this year.
That happened to me when I was 50 yo, 12 years ago at Mammoth. Hit a big jump and landed in the flats and POP. I had a big hematoma between the torn muscle fragments. Went to an orthopod and talked to other docs and the said it wasnt surgical and my orthopod suggested PT. I dis some research on my own and found an obscure paper from some Japan orthpopods that suggested compression stockings to squeeze the hematoma out and bring the muscles back together. I went to the PT appointment, but it did not make sense to me, so I stopped and did my own regimen. I am a radiologist so I could track the progress with daily ultrasounds. I wore a boot on that leg and did stationary bike then real bike rides to keep from crazy atrophy (there was still some) and then simple range of motion exercises till my muscle fragments fused, then I advanced ROM and strengthening till I healed. It still took months. None of the orthopods knew about this treatment. It worked for me, everything is solid now. Good luck.

Reactions: $kully

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
That happened to me when I was 50 yo, 12 years ago at Mammoth. Hit a big jump and landed in the flats and POP. I had a big hematoma between the torn muscle fragments. Went to an orthopod and talked to other docs and the said it wasnt surgical and my orthopod suggested PT. I dis some research on my own and found an obscure paper from some Japan orthpopods that suggested compression stockings to squeeze the hematoma out and bring the muscles back together. I went to the PT appointment, but it did not make sense to me, so I stopped and did my own regimen. I am a radiologist so I could track the progress with daily ultrasounds. I wore a boot on that leg and did stationary bike then real bike rides to keep from crazy atrophy (there was still some) and then simple range of motion exercises till my muscle fragments fused, then I advanced ROM and strengthening till I healed. It still took months. None of the orthopods knew about this treatment. It worked for me, everything is solid now. Good luck.
I have an ultrasound scheduled for the 22nd but I’m unsure if it’s worth it that far out now that the MRI was conclusive and I’ll be going to an Ortho next week. I guess I’ll keep the appt for now. But it’s all the way up in Santa Clarita. For all this talk about how great our healthcare system is I couldn’t get an ultrasound Appointment in less than a months time without driving 40 plus miles. Even then it was still 3wks out from the time of the injury. Anyway yours sounds worse than mine. I have almost no visible bruising and limited swelling. I’ve never stopped walking on it which isn’t always fun but it’s also not terrible. I just wonder if I’m making things worse. But I am a believer in healing through motion and like you fear atrophy more than anything.

sr04

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 21, 2014
Southern California
No measurable snow here in Idaho for over a month. Hoping for a miracle in the next couple weeks as me and 9 buddies have a 2 dat cat/yurt trip in the Soldier mtn back country in a few weeks.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009

Ooof, I had a calf tear, it's painful but if you're patient you will be back to 100% in a month or so.

Good to hear your knee is good.
I'd take a muscle tear over a ligament tear any day.
Good luck!

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Cucks and Queers of Corbet's Couloir is ON!!!!

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Got 4 days on the mountain at Crested Butte last week. Awesome place! They've been lagging on snow since the beginning of January, same as everywhere, but they were still running well above normal snowpack this time of year. As a result, locals were saying how rare it is to have so many of the trails open at the beginning of February. The steeps were great! Cold temps kept the snow chalky and grippy after a few inches of snow the previous week.

Great vibe all around, much more of a small town feel, mountain wasn't super crowded either. Once my coworkers showed up, much more alcohol was consumed, nights got longer, but the mountain activities did not suffer. Put in about 73,000 feet of descent and a blast on every carve.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Haha. Nice. I did same exact trip a month ago and have very similar photos. Think I even stayed at the same condo complex. I found out quickly hang overs come easy and are quite brutal at 9000'+, so went easy on the booze per usual. Also was hard to sleep at times. Surprisingly good groomers, but needs snow to uncover true potential IMO. Got a little taste on top. It all came over the holidays and lucky they got so much to set up a base. Shuttle driver said they got as much as they had all last season in just one of those storms. OG CO vibes for sure.

10"s Mon around here. Fell mostly during the day and then wind scoured Mon eve and went back to HP. Looked pretty fun, but nothing to deep. Prob knee at most. I had to work unfortunately. Been mid 60s, offshore, and pumping past few weeks so had to catch up on work stuff. Maybe some this weekend, but holiday crowds. May or may not do battle.

Last edited:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Was at okemo in Vermont Tuesday until friday
tuesday was packed powder and fun, but it rained Tuesday night and temps were in the 50s on Wednesday
I checked it out and there were slushy puddles everywher, and I bailed for the day

thursday was a sheet of ice
treacherous
glad no one I was with got hurt

friday it was supposed to snow overnight and all day, accumulations expected 12-18 inches
when I woke up, it was just a dusting. So light that I thought about driving home and avoiding another day of ice
but I’m glad I didnt
there was way more snow on the mountain, and it kept on coming all day
had a blast

hopefully a good warmup for 5 days in utah
i fly out to pheonix for work for a few days, then Salt Lake City Thursday through monday
splitting time between solitude snowbird, maybe park city, maybe brighton, or snowbasin
no specific plans

Last edited:

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Now I have skierd 10 days this season. Got my 360s down. Gonna start on 540s next :)

At my mountain almost noone snowboards. Less than 1/10 probably. On sunday I saw three people on Telemark skis. I called the patrol to have them euthanized!

These are my skis. 2008 K2 Fujative. Wish I have the original 2005 red ones :love:

1646031775399.png

Last edited:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Every day one the mountain the past few years I see one telemarker
Never more
Never less