*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
NGL that’s one of the more wicked tomahawks I’ve seen bro. Good find. I’m very interested to know if the goggles make it to shore???

Always love watching a good tomahawk

Reactions: sushipop

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Quite the abrupt transition. :roflmao:

Heading up tomorrow for what is most likely last day of the season. Gonna be a warm one in the high 50s, T-shirt weather.

Reactions: SeaFoamGreen

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Last week was cold and as the relentless spring rain poured the late season lurker froth and fomo was high, but lifts were closed most of the week. Almost pulled the ripcord and rallied down to bruhdakine's loc where the lifts were spinning and was getting refreshed on the daily with the cold and fluffy, but couldn't find any homies up for the mini roadie. A juxtaposition of ye ole no friends on a powder day I guess. Lifts finally went at my local Friday with 1.5' - 2'. Rallied up with the wifey and we mined some late and last of the season lines in the bowls. Snow was firm and a little grabby in spots, but super carvable. Had to really burry the rail and gouge hard to get into the white room, but it was there early. Otherwise the resistance of the snow felt very much like h20 and suring. Flew around with 20+ days legs popping off some fun hits getting some good tail snatchs and few tweaked mute grabs. Kinda went to sh!t by 11ish, so had a cold one on the deck of the mid mountain watering hole.
PXL_20230421_160158207.TS_exported_28208.jpg

Next few days are the last of the season and should be some fun cord craveing and slush slashing. Gonna post up and camp in the lot. Hoping to get a few more methods! Cleaned and put the Orca to bed for the off season and laced up the old 157 C3 Jamie Phoenix. Should be a ton of fun in the sun!!!!

Last edited:

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Last week was cold and as the relentless spring rain poured the late season lurker froth and fomo was high, but lifts were closed most of the week. Almost pulled the ripcord and rallied down to bruhdakine's loc where the lifts were spinning and was getting refreshed on the daily with the cold and fluffy, but couldn't find any homies up for the mini roadie. A juxtaposition of ye ole no friends on a powder day I guess. Lifts finally went at my local Friday with 1.5' - 2'. Rallied up with the wifey and we mined some late and last of the season lines in the bowls. Snow was firm and a little grabby in spots, but super carvable. Had to really burry the rail and gouge hard to get into the white room, but it was there early. Otherwise the resistance of the snow felt very much like h20 and suring. Flew around with 20+ days legs popping off some fun hits getting some good tail snatchs and few tweaked mute grabs. Kinda went to sh!t by 11ish, so had a cold one on the deck of the mid mountain watering hole.
View attachment 153126

Next few days are the last of the season and should be some fun cord craveing and slush slashing. Gonna post up and camp in the lot. Hoping to get a few more methods! Cleaned and put the Orca to bed for the off season and laced up the old 157 C3 Jamie Phoenix. Should be a ton of fun in the sun!!!!
Way to get after it this season brah! I think you got more sick pow days than anyone here.

It's about to be summer conditions this weekend.. I've been up Tuesday and today for long lunch sessions to rip the snow skate around in the slush and sun and it's been crazy warm. Today I forgot my gloves but didn't need them. Meanwhile there's still 20 foot snowbanks all over. I'm hoping to get some regular lunch sessions and spring weekend days for the next month before it's finally done. Today was day 55 for me (34 at the local, 15 at Copper, 4 at Mammoth and 2 at Brighton). I figure I'll end up with about 65 or maybe 70. Not bad for working full time.

Have fun up at Shredows this weekend. Camping at the hill in warm spring conditions is always good times. You should do the pond skim.. or at least drink some Ninkasi.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
So fun at Kirkwood yesterday. Good day to pick for a season-ender. Beautiful sunny skies and already warm but with a breeze, perfect for a tshirt and windbreaker. Snow was already softish and the firm stuff was loosening fast. Hit that bobsled course by Cliff Chute earlier than I should have. Hard to bleed speed when it was hard and had a couple slams and fly-outs. Ugly. But by 10:30 or so, Wall chair and everything else was great, firm but soft enough to move some snow around. Did many, many laps and if not powder, this is next best snow. Also redeemed myself in afternoon when it was a lot easier to slow down a little in that bobsled track - addictively fun. I don't recall the number of days but somewhere around 20, damn better than the 0-4 days experienced the previous 10 years. Good to get back progressing again as a result, psyched on next year and resulting powder lines.

BTW, if any of you go up tomorrow, let it be known that the 7800 Bar and Grill (at the tower) has Space Dust on tap for $3. They have 3 kegs they need to get rid of by tomorrow afternoon. :roflmao:

1682790965109.jpeg
View from the "deck" of 7800 Bar and Grill

1682791002368.jpeg
Beautiful view from the top

1682791033473.jpeg
Caples Lake starting to thaw

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
I got up to Kirkwood the day before Kento for my whopping Day 3 of the year. :foreheadslap:

It was a fun one. Got some runs with the wife who is learning to ski, and with my parents. That wiggle run off Chair 6 was awesome! I took several laps on that. Everything was pretty mushy by lunch time, so we called it a day and got lunch and margs at 7800 Club.

The next day I was surfing in the morning, then backpacking later that evening. Spring is California. Still hoping to get a backcountry adventure in before everything melts away.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
I ended up going up 4 days in a row Thursday through Sunday. Epic spring conditions, following the sun around the volcano trying to catch the perfect velevty corn conditions before it got sticky, then hotlapping the groomers and peace park that have some salt in the snow so they stay faster. Trying to shred the mini pipe on my snow skate and getting broken off in the slush is pretty fun. Ended each day with some parking lot beers with friends. Good stuff. Got one more day like that yesterday and now it's R-wording up there today and supposed to do that for at least the next week. Bummer.

Reactions: Iceman

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
So fun at Kirkwood this last Friday/Saturday. Drove up and arrived mid-day Friday, stayed in S. Lake overnight, rode all day Saturday, and then bailed back. Good way to save on hotel prices, one night instead of two. It's the one biggest cost factor right now with going to the mountains. Need to figure out a better way next season to cut that cost down... Picked up next season's Epic Pass for family today too so all set and stocked.

Good times. Little crusty in the morning, ideal softness around 11 - 1, and then mashed potatoes after 2:30 or so. But still very fun. Whole family and I had a blast. My son is loving all the side hits, finds some good ones too. He had a couple good crashes, licked his wounds for a bit, and then kept going.

Left them with my wife for lunch, went over to Wall chair, hardpack as it gets, a blind person would know just from the screeching sound. Watched this one snowboarder lose his edge and skitter several hundred feet down luckily shooting the gap between the only two trees and lift tower. Ouch. Guess the sun just hadn't been on it enough even at noon; at least there were some small moguls that you could have some leverage on, turning through the skitter. Wasn't too bad but didn't return for a 2nd run there. A short and fat (this year) hourglass chute leading into the Drain from there (very right of photo below), sun had been shining on that enough, combo of slight crust and slush, fun run. Good sh!t was the bobsled course carved out up near the top. It was fast and there were all sorts of still-frozen speed check scars leading into turns which made it an adventure. Hope it's still there in a couple of weeks because that was fun as hell.

View attachment 152487

They also had the pond skim yesterday. I checked it out between runs as wanted to maximize riding time but this guy:

View attachment 152489

He poached it, did a huge speed check halfway down (poor decision), made it about halfway and then sank. Couldn't climb out of side, slowly waded a ways, needed assistance, the whole time being heckled by the announcer. Funny as sh!t, although I did see him getting accosted by the yellowjackets. Hopefully they just gave him a stern talking to and a slap because getting his pass pulled for that would be excessive - his humiliation was punishment enough.

Definitely want to get another day or two in before season is up.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
When it comes to snowboarding nothing tells me more that you’re the man, dog when than being able to rip through moguls. Closing day at Taos I gots to bear witness to two local bros mach through a mogul field on lower Kachina and it was impressive af bro. Coincidentally they also happen to be one of the best ways to get wicked good at shredding hard.

Reactions: Kento