*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Last few weeks have been ridiculous around here. Spring storm cycles for the books. So many deep turns and bottomless floating it's all kind of a blur right now. This last storm was 47"s in 4 days and pretty much rode the entirety of it over last 3 days. One day with the fam, one with the boys, and yest with the wifey. Every day was deep and managed to get into some zones, even when I was riding with fam. Got my kiddos down some bowls in pretty deep snow which was great to see. Day with the boys was spent mostly in the off piste zones and we made some big laps that required hiking on boot packs, around big rocks, and out of some deep snow to cat tracks we could not roll into at the bottom. Snow was consistently waist deep and got 2 lines that day I have not ridden yet this year which were primo.

Surprised I made out of bed yest at 5:15 am after that sesh, but knew it was on again. Wifey and I got on maybe the 11th or 12th chair and had 2 of my best flowing laps through the bowls at high speed with no tracks laid. Snow was cold, bottomless and deeeep! Think I counted 6 white room turns on the 1st one. Crowd was chill and popped into a few classic zones with her that I knew she could handle then made a bad decision and took her to zone that's a can be little spooky. Snows been definitely getting a bit heavier by mid day esp in this lower mtn area, but I like this area because it's all in the shade, stays lighter, and is still kind of a secret stash.

The approach is kina flat so you cant stop. We made that with one quick unstrap and skate and as soon as we got back there I could see it was loaded with a ton snow maybe 4'.... The line I know from there had not been ridden other then one ski track I saw that came to the entry shoot from a different approach. Might of been patrol. Anyways got her down the short tight toilet bowl shoot which was soft and deep and had been a little icy last time I was there so that was good. After that which is most technical aspect of it, it's quick cut over and then it's either a steep open tree area with some epic wide fall lines or an open glade. I pointed her to the glade with tracks in it and said take that, while my plan was to stay in the trees just literally 50' over off to the side which was all untracked. So then I slashed 6 to 8 deep turns loosing my sight line of her and when I hit the traverse line I fell and had to unstrap. So when I came out into the bottom of the glade I expected see her, but did not. Took off my board, pulled out the walkie, called and eventually got her saying she was in a tree well!!!! My heart started racing and said stay calm. She was freaking and no one was around! No cell reception either. So I started to walk back to the traverse line and got her again on the walkie saying she needed a few minutes and that's when I knew she was OK. Guess she ended up following me and even saw me fall. While waiting for me to clear the track she got to close to a well and got sucked in. Luckily one foot was out of it and she was able to unstrap and eventually get out, but fook that was a super scary moment and still a little shook up by it esp after the vid going around eveyrone has been talking about that already been posted. Mega lesson learned!!!l Only riding that line with the bros that know it, never loose line of sight, and I need to figure out what channel ski patrol is on because I could not find it.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Cool! That looks like it could be cockpit video from one of the F-18s that low-level cruise through the Sierras.
Years ago we were riding the gondola up to the top and a couple of F-16s from China Lake Naval Base buzzed the crater.
Scared the living #hit out of us (and a couple thousand others)
On the news that night, heard the pilots caught a ton of $hit for the stunt. :socrazy:

Reactions: hammies and Kento

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
That's actually legit practice since they do low-level penetration missions in combat. But they have routes and they're not supposed to buzz people at ski resorts.

At least it wasn't a SR-71.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Snowboarding at China Peak about 5 years ago. Stunning day, with some scattered low clouds. I'm at the very top of the mountain about to drop into China Bowl and I hear the beautiful roar of two F/A 18 Superhornets returning to base at the Air National Guard in Fresno.

I looked for them and saw them coming out of the clouds and just over the mountain tops to the north. One of the jets kept flying straight to Fresno. But the other one pealed off and did two low level full circle passes between the mountains of China Peak and the mountains behind Hungtington Lake. It was awesome to see and everyone was watching.

In 25+ years riding at China Peak, I've never seen that before. Felt like Rainbow Canyon in Panamint Valley for a moment.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Anyone ever do any AK heli trips? Season is just getting going. Been looking around at the different outfits and ranges. Think I might sink some dough I'd typically spend on a 10 day surf trip into 3 days of heli laps with maybe a day or 2 of resort riding or fishing up there. Been on the bucket list for days now and last few surf trips have been pretty crowded with just OK waves. Seems like weather permitting you're gonna score in a bird. I also have a friend I can post up with up there and wait for primo conditions.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Last few weeks have been ridiculous around here. Spring storm cycles for the books. So many deep turns and bottomless floating it's all kind of a blur right now. This last storm was 47"s in 4 days and pretty much rode the entirety of it over last 3 days. One day with the fam, one with the boys, and yest with the wifey. Every day was deep and managed to get into some zones, even when I was riding with fam. Got my kiddos down some bowls in pretty deep snow which was great to see. Day with the boys was spent mostly in the off piste zones and we made some big laps that required hiking on boot packs, around big rocks, and out of some deep snow to cat tracks we could not roll into at the bottom. Snow was consistently waist deep and got 2 lines that day I have not ridden yet this year which were primo.

Surprised I made out of bed yest at 5:15 am after that sesh, but knew it was on again. Wifey and I got on maybe the 11th or 12th chair and had 2 of my best flowing laps through the bowls at high speed with no tracks laid. Snow was cold, bottomless and deeeep! Think I counted 6 white room turns on the 1st one. Crowd was chill and popped into a few classic zones with her that I knew she could handle then made a bad decision and took her to zone that's a can be little spooky. Snows been definitely getting a bit heavier by mid day esp in this lower mtn area, but I like this area because it's all in the shade, stays lighter, and is still kind of a secret stash.

The approach is kina flat so you cant stop. We made that with one quick unstrap and skate and as soon as we got back there I could see it was loaded with a ton snow maybe 4'.... The line I know from there had not been ridden other then one ski track I saw that came to the entry shoot from a different approach. Might of been patrol. Anyways got her down the short tight toilet bowl shoot which was soft and deep and had been a little icy last time I was there so that was good. After that which is most technical aspect of it, it's quick cut over and then it's either a steep open tree area with some epic wide fall lines or an open glade. I pointed her to the glade with tracks in it and said take that, while my plan was to stay in the trees just literally 50' over off to the side which was all untracked. So then I slashed 6 to 8 deep turns loosing my sight line of her and when I hit the traverse line I fell and had to unstrap. So when I came out into the bottom of the glade I expected see her, but did not. Took off my board, pulled out the walkie, called and eventually got her saying she was in a tree well!!!! My heart started racing and said stay calm. She was freaking and no one was around! No cell reception either. So I started to walk back to the traverse line and got her again on the walkie saying she needed a few minutes and that's when I knew she was OK. Guess she ended up following me and even saw me fall. While waiting for me to clear the track she got to close to a well and got sucked in. Luckily one foot was out of it and she was able to unstrap and eventually get out, but fook that was a super scary moment and still a little shook up by it esp after the vid going around eveyrone has been talking about that already been posted. Mega lesson learned!!!l Only riding that line with the bros that know it, never loose line of sight, and I need to figure out what channel ski patrol is on because I could not find it.
Sounds like a wicked lot of of epic days and super stocked everything worked out with the old lady and the tree well. Good call on the radios, idk if patrol are on the same frequency. My backpack has a whistle buckle for emergencies and I carry a space blanket and quick clot bandage bc its no hassle

Next time bc I’d still take her down terrain like that especially after her handling the extraction like a pro/not freaking out, tell her the usual go fast and don’t stop/fall and then its your job to follow/keep her in sight.

Water is back to Taos Ski Village so heading down tm to ride sat and sun and more than likely turn out the lights on this season.

Reactions: Aruka
Dec 5, 2020
SF
I’d like to do the same. Have not made it happen at this point, but when I do will give these guys a close look-

I know the founder’s (Tucker) brother, and think highly of him. Solid guy, and a badass. Can’t vouch for the operation, but could be worth a phone call. Hope you score and stay safe if you pull the trigger.

Anyone ever do any AK heli trips? Season is just getting going. Been looking around at the different outfits and ranges. Think I might sink some dough I'd typically spend on a 10 day surf trip into 3 days of heli laps with maybe a day or 2 of resort riding or fishing up there. Been on the bucket list for days now and last few surf trips have been pretty crowded with just OK waves. Seems like weather permitting you're gonna score in a bird. I also have a friend I can post up with up there and wait for primo conditions.

Jan 8, 2016
I've worked for one and have friends who guide at all the different operations. it all depends on how much you're looking to spend and what type of trip you want. feel free to ask any more specific questions.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I've worked for one and have friends who guide at all the different operations. it all depends on how much you're looking to spend and what type of trip you want. feel free to ask any more specific questions.
I heard the dude who started Silverton runs a legit? heli op in Ak. Has rights to a lot of acres/can move the birds around the state to take advantage of conditions, tries to keep skill level of clients high and two guides per group.

Taos is dank.
B1C4E5B7-9B56-43A2-9A91-3763EF7A0A90.jpeg

Figured for a first run ever, the one named after the founder (Ernie’s) was as good as any.
41D705EF-74CE-46FB-BC9A-031ABFBF48E4.jpeg

426A97EA-7D80-4DF5-953B-C1CC2907EA44.jpeg

071637A3-5FB6-4CF0-8A62-D1B6A1161B3B.jpeg

B5C5A9D7-4DB2-40FE-87EF-D5251B6FDB28.jpeg

54C31D88-2030-4FD8-86DB-E3047EBEC9FE.jpeg

9119F6A7-78EB-4EA3-9932-2A6297C39AA7.jpeg

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
After Ernie’s ngl was tired af. Long and isolated and kinda steep = dbl blck? bc not scary
D4872588-3ABA-47B4-B9D0-0E369352DA2C.jpeg

So after taking a break and chatting with this crusty geezer in a Taos Ski School Dropout tshirt, I decided to go cruise around and see how well I figured out the lay of the land. Had no probs navigating thanks to my recon.

Hit up the West Basin to catch a chair up to where I could drop over the ridge and head towards Kachina peak area.

WestBasin ridge as you go up the chair
125CC4C5-3AF7-4D27-B241-C8D277B78AB0.jpeg

056EEDA9-172D-48CF-B7D4-8D670271A5CC.jpeg

1C60E4B1-E227-41C7-B388-A046E7CF1EA5.jpeg

Destination sighted, Kachina peak.
883B9893-3BC1-44B0-A659-A3C022716FF0.jpeg

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Didn’t know what was gonna happen when I got to Kachina so was stocked to see the dude I shared a chair ride with and tagged along with him to the out of the way Hunziker Bowl.

F5678C09-A3B2-4FE7-9EF7-A936CC02CD8E.jpeg

Highline Ridge
57CEB149-8FBA-4D6A-AA22-37932C6E6A27.jpeg

More Highline
3ABEFF82-DE0A-4024-8EFE-BAAA821792DF.jpeg

01444884-5AAD-40EF-8035-34031A72A428.jpeg

EC531E58-23B9-46C8-902C-67AE7BFB87CC.jpeg

Not sure what tm will bring besides the Easter Bunny and the end of another season

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one. Brought it up to me like room service and it’s looking like a real choice mission:

Objectives: stop at the main patrol shack to buy a tshirt on the way back to ride Hunziker bowl again only this time with the addition of Hunziker main bc danger is my business and I’m dying to try out riding with an ice axe Chamonix style
140D2F29-CC0D-4741-B92A-675892227368.png

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Mission accomplished and I see myself riding Cham style a lot next year. Using the axe was very intuitive and just like XV said, more than anything it was wicked awesome having an outrigger for balance when riding legit steeps. I used the sh!t out of it coming down upper Hunziker. Had it in my front hand for backside traverses, and for the most part in the back dragging the spike end in the snow on frontside turns and found out quickly how easy it was to switch hands while riding as needed. Finally I was glad I had it in case I fell and started to slide/pick up speed.
FAB0B5BB-1BEF-42E2-A2B8-8F21A17B22D1.jpeg

Thanks XV, riding with an axe is dank, and thanks Taos Ski Valley I had a real good time. Def coming back.

D7C7A3F8-508B-4E0D-8ABF-BD7B3D33AE8F.jpeg

943D823D-7E57-41F9-8D28-2860B655801B.jpeg

6D3F628D-931E-48DA-BE24-42019FE9A610.jpeg

9AB256FE-5B63-412E-B6A2-3F73F7553FA2.jpeg

F09AA077-F257-4904-8D90-B74B2E6EEDD3.jpeg

6872E9C6-93D8-4978-8AF8-91AF587F48D1.jpeg

0CF816F6-3D84-430B-BCFF-78CB89FADFE7.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: sushipop

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
went back wednesday to big bear, was nice and sunny
yay no rain
coincidentally the surf was the best its been in weeks and i waas trapped in a car

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
I typically don't snowboard if surf is going to be good, which it really hasn't been for months. Snows been on the pump!

I've always wanted to check out Taos. Looks like a mtn you want to ride during a storm cycle with a good amount of fresh and deep pow. I heard Gustavo "Gus" Fring is the mayor and rules it.

Last edited: