*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
Great shots Jory. Where are you located? Beautiful spot. I got to spend a week or so in Chamonix in the spring a long time ago and your photos remind me of it. I'd love to go back someday.
Sorry to hear about your lean season. Hopefully you'll get some good late winter / spring snow to make up for it like we did last year after a really bad January and February.
We’re in Megeve which is really pretty close to chamonix, about 25 mins drive away although it’s a differentski area. You can easily see Mont Blanc from Here.

sadly I think this is our only trip this year unless my wife takes pity on me!

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
We’re in Megeve which is really pretty close to chamonix, about 25 mins drive away although it’s a differentski area. You can easily see Mont Blanc from Here.

sadly I think this is our only trip this year unless my wife takes pity on me!
Stocked on your euro bro carving pics bro. I haven’t been able to really lay over a trencher that hasn’t driven me into the snow yet.

Bummed to hear about the meager snowfall there this winter. Hopefully that changes soon. Megeve sounds like a wicked nice alpine town. La Folie Douce looks like it could be fun.
1676557568905.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Northern_Shores

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
@SeaFoamGreen
Bro can’t say enough good things about both my Amplids but if you’re looking for something to make your friends hate/chase you when there’s fresh snow, Snommelier. You can find them online for less than retail and for how well they’re made(better than other companies premium?) retail is a bargain. Carbon stringer, precured reinforced binding inserts, sexy weight reducing cut outs etc.
3FD1FD7B-A9B1-48B8-A57C-F87F56885002.jpeg

Angry Snow really likes them now too.
So fast. So fun. He mentions how it’s so fast you have speed to burn to travel side hill/across the fall line and I almost ran into a tree way up on the side of a wicked mellow banked int run bc I was going way faster than expected. That and I was wicked bake but I swear I went so fast on the empty mashed potato groomers it wasn’t funny. It was snowing hard, I was putting the hammer down bc I was riding on silk and and at one point I noticed how fast the trees on the side of the trail were going by and I said this is fucked up. Warp speed bro.

Stocked you got such a good day riding in. With sprays/slashes I’m actually working on creating the white room. French free ride champion Xavier De Le Rue’s How To vids have been a huge inspiration/source of info to me starting to ride again from day numero uno and he talking about spray management and visions made me think about from day one bc here that could make you die

His vids are so simple yet there’s so much info in them it’s loco. Such a gift.

Last edited:

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
That ride looks like a good time..... Orca is my 1st foray in to the "fish" board genrea. Got a bro deal on K2 and looking at Alchemist.

https://k2snow.com/en-us/p/k2-alchemist-snowboard-mens-womens-unisex-2023?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxbefBhDfARIsAL4XLRrIzj7f-dachiOgRFb2Rgi8RnAwuwPdgwqUvev1zUJ1Ms9s4eEzT3kaAhHEEALw_wcB

Yo ole wind lip slash comes naturally to those of us who started surfing before we started snowboarding. Pretty much all I need these days to be satisfied and get way more cuttys, hacks, down carves, etc on a good pow day than I do surfing around here.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
That ride looks like a good time..... Orca is my 1st foray in to the "fish" board genrea. Got a bro deal on K2 and looking at Alchemist.

https://k2snow.com/en-us/p/k2-alchemist-snowboard-mens-womens-unisex-2023?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxbefBhDfARIsAL4XLRrIzj7f-dachiOgRFb2Rgi8RnAwuwPdgwqUvev1zUJ1Ms9s4eEzT3kaAhHEEALw_wcB

Yo ole wind lip slash comes naturally to those of us who started surfing before we started snowboarding. Pretty much all I need these days to be satisfied and get way more cuttys, hacks, down carves, etc on a good pow day than I do surfing around here.
I forgot you could get the K2 bro deal and I guess it really boils down to what are you looking for in a board/what sensation(s) are you missing in your riding?

Ive checked those Alchemists out repeatedly online and in person. very legit looking construction (K2s are very well made/durable) nasty all around carver good in pow < Excavator bc of taper?

Laybacks have always been my forte bc the 70s so I was slashing good since the get go im just trying to to move the cloud in front of me. You know you’ve chucked a big one behind when you hear a sound like snow falling off the roof or it grabs your arm. I’ve been working on (it happened to start by accidently) backside ones that at some point there’s this weird shift onto my toe side edge towards the end instead of coming out on my heels.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeaFoamGreen

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW

Gabe Ferg destroys the Bachelor slash park on that very board. I bet it would go hard in a 160 at Shredows.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Gabe Ferg destroys the Bachelor slash park on that very board. I bet it would go hard in a 160 at Shredows.
I would get so busy at a slash park it wouldn’t even be funny, thoroughly and repeatedly.

Alchemist sounds a lot like has been/compared to Surfari, legit board from Amplid’s centrifugal/carving collection that’s very capable in pow but lacks the taper to make it standout. Playing board Doc my only concern is it the flavor for the fever SFG has, faster how??? In general, carving, pow???

I’m mos def liking the longer boards this winter and could see pow/free ride boards trending that direction.

Last edited:

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
I would get so busy at a slash park it wouldn’t even be funny, thoroughly and repeatedly.

Alchemist sounds a lot like has been/compared to Surfari, legit board from Amplid’s centrifugal collection (carving focused). Playing board Doc my only concern is it the flavor for the fever SFG has??? I’m mos def liking the longer boards this winter.
'slash park' is our entire mountain. haha.

Reactions: Chocki

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
Stocked on your euro bro carving pics bro. I haven’t been able to really lay over a trencher that hasn’t driven me into the snow yet.

Bummed to hear about the meager snowfall there this winter. Hopefully that changes soon. Megeve sounds like a wicked nice alpine town. La Folie Douce looks like it could be fun.
View attachment 148382
Yeah the Folie Deuce is epic! There’s a few of them across the French alps. Always have banging music and amazing dance / cirque du soleil style performers. Nothing else quite like it!

Megeve is super pretty, lots of money/ expensive cars. ( seen a lot of porcshes & Lamborghinis in the last few days!)
Skiing is good here when it snows though, plenty of fairly safe off piste that doesn’t get tracked compared to chamomile which is epic but dangerous and busy.

France is a lovely country to visit if you ever get the chance, the food and wine is genuinely great everywhere. As an example we had an amazing Savoyarde fondue last night washed down with a bottle of local wine.

Some more prettyness

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
'slash park' is our entire mountain. haha.
Same here only a lot smaller. I just took a look at your trail map (I love trail maps), I had no idea Mt Bachelor operated on 360 deg of the mtn and was so big. It looks amazing topo/geo/terrain wise.

Last edited:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Things might get wild in SoCal…

If baldy gets +7’ I pedict it takes a week to dig out and open up. They’re not nearly as adept at managing the roads up there as they are up north and they often lose power in storms. Much as I’d love to hit it I know it will be a total sh!t show if it does open at all. And I’m more worried about leaky windows in my house than anything.

• Wow
Reactions: hammies and Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Local ski patrol heading to work this am. Today’s forecast does not sound pleasant, High near 21. Wind chill values between -15 and -25. Very windy, with a southwest wind 20 to 30 mph increasing to 40 to 50 mph. Winds could gust as high as 75 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 13 to 19 inches possible(on top of 10” they got last night). Fucking warriors.
CE6BD4E7-2986-4365-9AE3-4BB1DADF48B2.png

Last edited:

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Things might get wild in SoCal…

If baldy gets +7’ I pedict it takes a week to dig out and open up. They’re not nearly as adept at managing the roads up there as they are up north and they often lose power in storms. Much as I’d love to hit it I know it will be a total sh!t show if it does open at all. And I’m more worried about leaky windows in my house than anything.
what a wonderful world it would be if Socalers stayed in SoCal