*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Yes. Riding one this year after many many years on Lib’s. I really like it. Feels good to be back on a more traditional camber board vs. rocker b/w inserts.

Super well made. Base is best I’ve ever had on a snowboar. Good pop. No speed limit, plenty powerful/stable, but not punishing/cumbersome if I want to slow it down and skate the side hits.

I’m 6’1” 180 lbs and ride way better than I surf. Went 161w and happy w/ sizing (I’ve always ridden 159-161 boars, but this is nearly a cm wider then anything I’ve ridden previously). Was nervous it’d feel slow edge-to-edge, but took like 4 runs to sort that out.
Thanks for the review! Sounds kind of like what I am looking for. Something that can handle speed and plow through everything from clean powder to chunky crud. I've been riding a Gnu 164W which has held up but is old and takes a lot of force to power through the thicker stuff; was a backup board for another that I pretty much wrecked.

I still get occasional flashes of PTSD from boot overhang - good to hear that it's a legit wide board and just a matter of making sure bindings are centered.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yes. Riding one this year after many many years on Lib’s. I really like it. Feels good to be back on a more traditional camber board vs. rocker b/w inserts.
Would you say that traditional camber is going to be the best in very hardpack/"icy" vs any sort of other profile even with magna traction or whatever?

Any comments on ease of once-a-year gaper use in powder vs something like a directional with some rocker to it to keep the nose up in softer stuff?

Would you consider softer groomers (afternoon) or spring conditions to be more amenable to non-camber boards?

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Heading up to Mammoth tomorrow for 3 days. Buddies are flying in from Jersey in the am, pick them up at SAN off a 6 hr cross country flight, and then the 6 hr haul in the car straight to Mammoth. Anyone have any idea what we should expect as far as snow conditions? They picked up 18 inches Sunday but its been sunny high pressure since then. I was hoping for wind buff snow but the winds have been below 15kts. Tomorrow and Thursday look to be the warmest days of the week with forecast highs in the low 40's and light winds (Mammoth Lakes). Which area of the mountain will offer the goods in those conditions?

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
The whole mountain will have great coverage. It'll be pretty much epic early spring type conditions. Light winds mean the top will be open all day. Morning = groomer paradise. Expect heavy crowds on Friday and Saturday. You and your friends are going to be stocked. Have a steak and a bottle or two of wine at the bar at the Mogul and tip the gals well.

Dec 5, 2020
SF
Thanks for the review! Sounds kind of like what I am looking for. Something that can handle speed and plow through everything from clean powder to chunky crud. I've been riding a Gnu 164W which has held up but is old and takes a lot of force to power through the thicker stuff; was a backup board for another that I pretty much wrecked.

I still get occasional flashes of PTSD from boot overhang - good to hear that it's a legit wide board and just a matter of making sure bindings are centered.
It definitely can handle speed and is stable through variable snow. Very predictable, allows for various types if turns, surprisingly good edge hold, good pop, stable on landings…just a really nice all around boar. To be fair, I don’t love it in pow. It’s fine, but doesn’t compare to more pow specific designs (I’m on a Golden Orca for pow days).

Dec 5, 2020
SF
Would you say that traditional camber is going to be the best in very hardpack/"icy" vs any sort of other profile even with magna traction or whatever?

Any comments on ease of once-a-year gaper use in powder vs something like a directional with some rocker to it to keep the nose up in softer stuff?

Would you consider softer groomers (afternoon) or spring conditions to be more amenable to non-camber boards?
I’m a big fan/belieber in magnatraction for edge hold on hard snow. That said, I was suprised by the edge hold of the BSOD. Maybe something to do with the Capita ‘death grip’? It’s also a smoother, more predictable carve than the boars I’ve ridden with magnatraction.

As for once-a-year pow riding, you’d have WAY more fun on a directional pow-oriented board (tail taper, set back inserts, rocker…). The substantial size and stiffness of the BSOD tail makes for some work in pow unless you’re redlining it.

I think just about everything works in spring snow, and the Lib C2, C2X boars I’ve ridden over the past 10 years have been fun in soft groomers/spring slush.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Heading up to Mammoth tomorrow for 3 days. Buddies are flying in from Jersey in the am, pick them up at SAN off a 6 hr cross country flight, and then the 6 hr haul in the car straight to Mammoth. Anyone have any idea what we should expect as far as snow conditions? They picked up 18 inches Sunday but its been sunny high pressure since then. I was hoping for wind buff snow but the winds have been below 15kts. Tomorrow and Thursday look to be the warmest days of the week with forecast highs in the low 40's and light winds (Mammoth Lakes). Which area of the mountain will offer the goods in those conditions?
My MO for spring conditions is to follow the sun. If it’s soup at the bottom it will be firmer at higher elevation/lower temp and vice versa if it’s too crusty up top.

Hope you and your bros have a good time bro.

Something that can handle speed and plow through everything from clean powder to chunky crud.

Bro it sounds like you’re looking for what I was, the Amplid Morning Glory.

”The flex, camber, shape, and width of this board make for a very smooth and predictable ride. This board at speed barely has any chatter in it and what chatter there is you won’t notice it. In chopped out terrain it just plows through everything as if you’re driving a muscle car over a garden hose. It has this smooth feel the whole way in any type of terrain but still retains a subtle and nuanced liveliness to it.

Carving: This is where this board sticks out from others in the pack. It has this smooth roll from edge to edge that makes you feel like you’re on cruise control but then you hit that defined flex point inside the front insert pack and you can really hammer into the center of this board and drive it. This changes the dynamic of power carving as you’re steering inside the front foot and pushing off that rear flex point to snap out of a carve. You can lay this thing over when you need to and it just cruises through everything in its path. Short subtle carves to mellow ones are easy, but when you hit the gas and drive hard that’s when this thing takes over and rips.

This board didn’t wow me right off the bat. It just felt like a standard run of the mill powder board that can carve when you want it to. But the more I took it in variable terrain and ripped turns you started to notice the nuanced feel of the flex and shaping of this board. It wouldn’t be my go to powder board but if I was riding heavy powder with a mix of groomers it would be a strong contender as it lends itself to doing both very well.”

My thoughts:
I’d have no probs riding mine as my goto pow boar. Was impressed enough with the maneuverability at 160cm that I sold my 147cm K2 Cool Bean. It can go ungodly fast on groomers, like if you fell you might as well be jumping out of a moving car. Extremely well made/durable.

Last edited:

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
6"-9" of sweet sweet frozen sugar on top of Mondays dense snow made for some quality shreds today. Drove up with low expectations with only 5" in 12hr period, but 9" in 24 and 5" of that came late in the day with no night skiing on Tues so...... Looked like volcano was getting blasted with wind on drive up, but ceased as the sun rose and pressure changed. Even heard some old crusty in line belt out "this isn't even a pow day" after classic 1st load lift line mosh pit ensued. 1st run was best of of the season so far. Full speed into the bowls. Not a bad turn, no worries with sun and full vis throwing white crystals on every turn. Got into my favorites zones later and put down a couple technical airs. Also took some beatings. Claiming best day of the season so far.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
RIP World Champ Kyle Smaine.

South Lake Tahoe pro freestyle skier Kyle Smaine was found dead after he was buried by a massive avalanche on Sunday while backcountry skiing on a trip to Japan.

He was living the dream.

1676063311761.png

1676063392065.png

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Cutty to head dip from the other day.......
View attachment 148009View attachment 148010View attachment 148011
Looks like were gonna get a classic COLD NorWester next week. LFG!
Rad turn and those are some quality photos. Things are definitely looking good for next week. As it stands td I’m looking at getting out ahead of the bulk of the storm/Tues/for the first foot of new snow.

From a few inches up to a foot and a half and you’re living the dream. 1.5-3’ and you really have to start planning carefully where you ride(steep) and how to get there along with how you ride. Fast/open turns and don’t stop.

Riding legit deep snow ain’t easy, as me the weed grower from Durango agreed on, you best be all about that life or you could have a bad time (stuck/digging out all day).

Besides knowing where/how to ride, knowing how to fall (if possible ending up with you boar pointed down the fall line/ under you for an ez restart) and conserving energy digging out make life much easier. I end up flipping to toe side a lot and then compressing the snow in front of me into what I call a power ball that I use to push on and stand back up.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeaFoamGreen

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

Like I said doesnt need to be deep

Last edited:

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
The whole mountain will have great coverage. It'll be pretty much epic early spring type conditions. Light winds mean the top will be open all day. Morning = groomer paradise. Expect heavy crowds on Friday and Saturday. You and your friends are going to be stocked. Have a steak and a bottle or two of wine at the bar at the Mogul and tip the gals well.
You were spot on! Conditions on Thursday were absolutely fantastic with the summit reaching 40 degrees with zero wind all day. We carved that mountain to shreds. I forgot how uncrowded it is midweek, Thursday we literally had what felt like the entire mountain to ourselves on the warmest day of the winter. Sunburn chilled with Apres suds, it was unreal and my buddies were totally stocked!
Oh and thanks for The Mogul recommendation, we hit it Thursday evening and sat at the bar where Priscilla took great care of us. The wine selection and Prime Rib were next level. Cheers!
MM1.jpgMM3.jpgMM4.jpg

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
That Mogul place looks like my kind of good time.

Not as much snow as I’d hoped there would be td but still enough to get ill, especially once I found where it wasn’t crunchy underneath /hit up my playground the # Chutes after my first run for some laps. Stocked again on being able to charge through places that I couldn’t previously.

The Snommelier is legit wicked fast, fell a couple times bc too much was happening too fast to process.

Heard the lift that I rode td may very well be closed until 11a tm for control work. Roads might be closed for a while for same so I’m stocked I got it td.

79683D65-1017-4589-96C4-7F79CEB973E7.jpeg

Flip to toe side, split the obv gap on the left w/ a backside turn, fasten seatbelt its maximum attack time bc that boards gonna get going real fast real quick.
83DABF4C-8CF2-43DF-953C-F97721B0A11E.jpeg

Took this “entrance“ for the first time for science. I’m calling it Lumpy’s from now on(the snow after kinda sucked).
5620706F-1EF1-4B08-AFA8-D5A61E394DAE.jpeg

Still haven’t launched it but felt compelled at some point td to ride down it with conviction because. I think I wouldnt have fallen if I didn’t run over some gnarly roots? Not a scratch on the base.
52FAD107-D597-4327-82F6-02E7E1E8255F.jpeg

At some point ended up in the gully where I cracked ribs earlier this winter. Rode it like a champ/dick(trying to fuck up as much snow as possible was my goal td) and you can see mid right where I launches an air. I’d like to think that if I wasn’t so tired/surprised I could’ve stomped it out instead of landing on my ass.
3714D489-B248-41DD-834C-A2C657C00465.jpeg

One of these days I’ll get some pics from “Lower“ Bankshot. That rando gap in the trees center frame leads to a short but ridiculously fun gully that doesnt get a lot of traffic especially considering how far down on the mtn it is. Fans off down and right and is totally a natural skatepark snake run.
F19A65E3-28A8-4422-973F-930A94852014.jpeg

Last edited:

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
Well the alps are currently getting skunked.

It hasn’t snowed for two weeks and none in the medium term forecast after unseasonal warm temps and rain washed away the early season base over Christmas

it’s really really warm for mid Feb. My girls are loving getting a tan but the pistes are down to grass in anything south facing. Global warming is gonna kill lots of low resorts in France I fear…..

F72AC6FB-E5E4-4A67-B2D0-00A470F363D0.jpeg
13F94FDA-9DCB-4B36-8544-8914C626CE50.jpeg
That valley floor should be at least a bit white right now!

6715839D-C73C-4208-9BB0-2BDC58A4B801.jpeg92785199-8895-4E08-A4AC-2184078F600B.jpegA26647E5-DEDF-4C39-9BE7-0EAB94F003E1.jpeg7E52373C-CD58-4CE6-B6B4-B539803C862D.jpeg

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Heard it's been a crazy warm winter in Europe, East Coast too. Must be good surf and/or warmer conditions in some places? We're due for one of those here, but this winter is starting to deliver recently. Valentines Day was one for the books. Unfortunately we got locked out of a storm riding day Mon as lifts didn't run due to wind I guess. But cupid delivered with bluebird conditions, 17"s of new, and blower cold light snow Tues. Got into our zones and it was DEEP. Laid down several runs of fresh tracks on one of our favorite lines. Any slightly committed turn put you in the white room and was a little sketchy in the tighter tree sections as you'd go blind for 5 or more seconds wondering when you were gonna come out into the clear. Had some backside turns on steep pitches where I was floating on my tippy toes. Was riding behind my homie who ollied into a tight little gully and the whole thing sluffed. It was like he was surfing a moving wave. He also got the shots in the bowls this time....... yeah he came out of that one.

dan.JPGdan2.JPG
Think I want a bigger board for some days like this. 153 Orca floats, but some more speed would be nice. Might have to pick up another 160 camber dominant deck. Looks like more cold snow to come next week!!!!

Last edited:

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Well the alps are currently getting skunked.

It hasn’t snowed for two weeks and none in the medium term forecast after unseasonal warm temps and rain washed away the early season base over Christmas

it’s really really warm for mid Feb. My girls are loving getting a tan but the pistes are down to grass in anything south facing. Global warming is gonna kill lots of low resorts in France I fear…..

View attachment 148323
View attachment 148324
That valley floor should be at least a bit white right now!

View attachment 148325View attachment 148326View attachment 148327View attachment 148328
Great shots Jory. Where are you located? Beautiful spot. I got to spend a week or so in Chamonix in the spring a long time ago and your photos remind me of it. I'd love to go back someday.
Sorry to hear about your lean season. Hopefully you'll get some good late winter / spring snow to make up for it like we did last year after a really bad January and February.

Reactions: Chocki

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Heard it's been a crazy warm winter in Europe, East Coast too. Must be good surf or warmer conditions in some places? We're due for one of those here, but this winter is starting to deliver recently. Valentines Day was one for the books. Unfortunately we got locked out of a storm riding day Mon as lifts didn't run due to wind I guess. But cupid delivered with bluebird conditions, 17"s of new, and blower cold light snow Wed. Got into our zones and it was DEEP. Laid down several runs of fresh tracks on one of our favorite lines. Any slightly committed turn put you in the white room and was a little sketchy in the tighter tree sections as you'd go blind for 5 or more seconds wondering when you were gonna come out into the clear. Had some backside turns on steep pitches where I was floating on my tippy toes. Was riding behind my homie who ollied into a tight little gully and the whole thing sluffed. It was like he was surfing a moving wave. He also got the shots in the bowls this time....... yeah he came out of that one.

View attachment 148347View attachment 148348
Think I want a bigger board for some days like this. 153 Orca floats, but some more speed would be nice. Might have to pick up another 160 camber dominant deck. Looks like more cold snow to come next week!!!!
I figured your midweek crew was gonna score. I got some insanely fun storm riding on my snow skate on Monday afternoon but missed yesterday and today which based on social media looks like it was all time up there. My older son went to Willy P today with the Tactics crew - that place is closed Monday and Tuesday and I think they had 2 feet of fresh waiting for today. I'm waiting for him to get home to see some clips.