*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Regarding old bindings with straps missing/broken here and there, what do you all do with them? I hate to just throw them away, I can't sell them with a straight face, so... ? Donate to local shop for them to cannibalize?
I've thought the same many times about old bindings and boards. :unsure:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Flipphone photo of a beautiful day yesterday up at Kirkwood.

View attachment 147316

A day of chasing the sun; was in mid-30s but windy. Top was mostly windpack; the few inches of snow that fell had some remnants in the trees but it was only a few inches. Nice to be able to get there at 10 and have plenty of parking available. Aside from the top being windblown, rest of the mountain had relatively decent snow. Was mostly a day of high speed groomers and fucking around in the gullies, which are always fun no matter what.

On way up 88, saw a wolf cross from just around a corner, apparently clamber up an 8' snowbank that was just out of view, and as I look by thinking was that what I thought it was, there it was staring right me as I drove by. Trippy - they're out there all right.

The new Union bindings worked well; glad I got them.

Regarding old bindings with straps missing/broken here and there, what do you all do with them? I hate to just throw them away, I can't sell them with a straight face, so... ? Donate to local shop for them to cannibalize?
Stocked for you bro. I remember my one day there was awesome especially after I ditched my friends. Did you get baked in the cave???
NGL it would be fun to ride a taller mtn once in a while.

If there’s life in the board but no resale or you don’t feel like selling, charity thrift shop? Or outdoor furniture? Bachelor pad wall art?

Sadly your old bindings sound like trash if you think they could break.

And that Wolf was your spirit animal being revealed to you.

• Haha
Reactions: Kento

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Ridiculous 12 hour drive to Mammoth on Sunday. Snow or ice on the road the entire way. Jackknifed FED EX truck blocking the entire highway outside Susanville. People chaining up in the middle of the road on the incline up from Bridgeport toward Mono Lake. No visibility, blowing snow. Chaos.
I cannot believe how much snow there is here in Mammoth Lakes. Giant mountains of snow pushed everywhere. It's pretty epic.
We got some fresh snow Monday morning. 4 or 5 inches of blower over a crusty base followed by a pipe practice for my son for the Grand Prix. It's always insane watching the best riders in the world ride a perfect 22' pipe in person. They had another practice yesterday morning and I got a few groomer laps in before and after and a couple of beers on the deck at the main lodge. Lapped South Park with my son and his coach today while the Grand Prix Snowboard Slopestyle went down in the main park and Grand Prix Freeski Pipe was in the superpipe. Another beautiful day. Snow is nice right now with some real nice weather conditions.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
^^^^Would be so terrified riding any of that^^^^

Travis is next level... there may never be another like him...

Reactions: bruhdakine

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yeah, I love it when a resort has a mini pipe. So fun! Super pipes are gnarly but it's impressive watching people who can really ride them.
Are the big pipes scary if you're just doing little hop re-entries or is it like a bigger mini pipe? And is it bad etiquette for a kook to ride a pipe provided they're waiting their turn/not ruining any one else's run - eg does kook technique mess up the wall?

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
the $70/night primitive cabin i used to rent is now up to $100... so i'm upgrading to 3 sleeping bags one inside of the other and a backpacking sleeping pad on the ground

i may be a total dirtbag but i'm still skiing

every. fucking. weekend.

:jamon:

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Been dry for days.... epic surf conditions, but not the best luck with bars, tides, locs and the usual variables around here. Early week was cold AF too and all I could think about sitting in the freezing line up waiting for LP pulses was bluebird cold white waves. When its in the 30s and not at least B grade point-esc surf, Id prefer be snowboarding TBH. To bad it doesn't snow around here when we get that continental air mass flow and if it does its a rare bird. Series of 2-4 inch days over weekend into ealry next week and maybe a 5-6 inch day Sunday. TBC.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Was cretete closeouts with some nugs in the mix. Fun day all and all. Rode with an old and new friend and ran into a bunch of others. Good to be up in the mountains with some new snow on a Monday!!!! Been working to much. March is going to come in like a la nina lion, I can feel it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka
Dec 5, 2020
SF
Any of you ever use the Capita Black Snowboard of Death?
Yes. Riding one this year after many many years on Lib’s. I really like it. Feels good to be back on a more traditional camber board vs. rocker b/w inserts.

Super well made. Base is best I’ve ever had on a snowboar. Good pop. No speed limit, plenty powerful/stable, but not punishing/cumbersome if I want to slow it down and skate the side hits.

I’m 6’1” 180 lbs and ride way better than I surf. Went 161w and happy w/ sizing (I’ve always ridden 159-161 boars, but this is nearly a cm wider then anything I’ve ridden previously). Was nervous it’d feel slow edge-to-edge, but took like 4 runs to sort that out.

Reactions: Bob and Kento