*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
PXL_20221221_154256050_2.jpg
Epic Winter Solstice sunrise alpenglow on the volcano yesterday. Snow was pretty good too, 6"-8", a little wind blown and frim, but uber carvable. Even got a tweaked mute grab I held for 3 seconds or so of a knoll hit that is set up nicely rn. Maximized every little bit of sun on the shortest day of the year being up high, sun up at 7:46am and down at 4:23pm. Typically it's dark gloomy dirty light.

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Insane day rates are how they sell season passes
That mostly hurts people going skiing/riding who are not fully committed/addicted to the sport yet. They don't invest in Ikon or Epic passes but then don't go at all due to high day rates. Ultimately it's profits now but bad for long-term growth of the sport. <\rant>

Reactions: Northern_Shores

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
How can people afford skiing there?

View attachment 144364
Epic and Ikon passes cost what about 3 days worth of those lift tickets cost. Pick one (or both) before the season starts and you're done. It's nice not stressing about getting your 'money's worth' on an expensive day ticket. The pass is a sunk cost. Want to sleep in and ride half the day? Take a long lunch? Spend the afternoon in the bar? Go slow on easy runs with the wife and kids? Leave at mid day once the freshies are sufficiently hammered? It's all good with a pass.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
They should just abandon the pretext and be like, it's $220/day unless you can show something other than a Texas/Florida/Illinois or Tri-state Area Driver's License. Then you don't get pay the Bend Over the Gringo fee.

Jul 25, 2020
How can people afford skiing there?
This is so true.

Skiing and snowboarding have always been somewhat of an elitist sport but today's costs cement this. As a kid I was able to ski with friends on weekends via "ski school" and it was somewhat affordable. A generation later, my kids snowboarded because I did but the vast majority of their friends could not mostly because they were priced out. The past few years have seen costs inflating rapidly. At this rate I don't see how resorts will sustain themselves as boomers die off and there isn't a robust market of young riders to fill in the market.

Last edited:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
That mostly hurts people going skiing/riding who are not fully committed/addicted to the sport yet. They don't invest in Ikon or Epic passes but then don't go at all due to high day rates. Ultimately it's profits now but bad for long-term growth of the sport. <\rant>
Capitalism 101

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Epic and Ikon passes cost what about 3 days worth of those lift tickets cost. Pick one (or both) before the season starts and you're done. It's nice not stressing about getting your 'money's worth' on an expensive day ticket. The pass is a sunk cost. Want to sleep in and ride half the day? Take a long lunch? Spend the afternoon in the bar? Go slow on easy runs with the wife and kids? Leave at mid day once the freshies are sufficiently hammered? It's all good with a pass.
I've been looking at resorts in Norway.

The ones considered the best in the country are $40-$50 a day, including night skiing.

They also sell stuff like 2 hour passes.

So why are lift tickets so expensive in the USA?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The resorts are a scarce resource and the number of affluent people is growing and they are having kids too.

There will be plenty of skiers and snowboarders that will be able to pay.

Sun Valley ticket prices/per day for a 3 day trip in January average $600/day:

Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 5.46.06 AM.png

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
The resorts are a scarce resource and the number of affluent people is growing and they are having kids too.

There will be plenty of skiers and snowboarders that will be able to pay.

Sun Valley ticket prices/per day for a 3 day trip in January average $600/day:

View attachment 144484
That's definitely the cost of 3 days beginning on whatever date....but yeah, it's still fucked

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
Get a split board and avoid those lift costs. I miss real back country riding so much.
Brighton resort in Utah use to have a lift ticket that gave you one lift up - then you would hike from there above tree line to Wilber bowl that would drop you into the rock garden. Not sure if it still exists - serious fun.

Reactions: manbearpig

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Brighton resort in Utah use to have a lift ticket that gave you one lift up - then you would hike from there above tree line to Wilber bowl that would drop you into the rock garden. Not sure if it still exists - serious fun.
I haven’t been there but that’s not all that uncommon still.