*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Spent 10 days in Colorado with my son who was competing in his first World Cup at the Copper Grand Prix Halfpipe event last week. A little new snow each day but mostly firm and icy but had fun mobbing groomers with my kid, filming him ripping the park and watching him train and compete in pipe alongside the best in the world. Pretty nuts trip. Flew back home Friday night for one of the funnest annual shred community events at our local on Saturday and Sunday. No new snow here either (I missed it all while I was a Colobrodeo) but it was fun seeing so many friends and good people from near and far all in one place. Looks like we might get dumped on next week. Can't wait.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Season is off to a good start and I haven't made it up yet. Life getting in the way. It's a bummer of catch 22. On one hand I'm not working right now and have time. On the other I'm not working and just bought a house and have been hemorrhaging cash. The pass is already paid for but the cost of lodging, gas and beer is kinda prohibitive for me at the moment. The bummer of it all is if/when I do go back to work in the new year then it will be harder for me to find the time to get up there. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Debating if I should defer my ikon pass for this season? The deadline is midnight tonight. Apparently if I defer for 23/24 I can still use it in the spring for the remainder of the season.

What did you decide?

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
1st few weeks of December have been for the books. Been a little bit of everything. Handful of deep pow days, lazy man free refill afternooners, 3" gripy and rippy days with stashes in the trees, and clear sunny groomer days. And cold on the average, although last big dump was the ole Cascade Crete but good for base. That combined with light to no winds is kinda rare on the volcano. Still waiting on some primo zones to go and next storm cycle is moving in now and cold. Winds look gusty, but should be a fun one if the Holidaze crowds aren't to bad. Usually next week is the shiteshow I stay away from, so hoping to get some and peace out for a week or so.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Wow!!! Its certainly been cold in the PNW. Its dusted down here on the coast once already and apparently snowing in Seattle rn. Those are some core surfers paddling out in what looks almost flat. When it snows on the beach around here, I head for the mtns. Been there done that!

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Hit the slopes yesterday, felt good.

Discovery Basin forecast for this upcoming week:

View attachment 144247

Do temps like that do anything weird to the snow?

Jul 25, 2020
The past couple of weeks have been really fun in WA state. Not riding today but tomorrow should be really good. Quote from Mtn Weather Forecast;
Snow will continue today, with snowfall rates peaking for the northern Cascades this morning, the central/southern WA Cascades this afternoon, and the Mt Hood area late this afternoon through early evening. The aforementioned warming trend will bring a modest rise in snow levels from about Snoqualmie Pass and the south Washington Cascades, with the peak warmth towards the early evening for the Mt. Hood area. Snowfall totals of 1.5-2.5' seem likely across the area.
Strong westerly winds will pummel the central/south WA Cascades and Mt Hood today, with extreme winds expected in the alpine. Low-level easterly flow in the Passes will eventually be reversed early Tuesday afternoon.

Reactions: SeaFoamGreen

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
-15 fug that. sh!t I don't think I would enjoy 4. That's frostbite weather. Get one of those neoprene mask thingys if you even dare. Buddy and I rode the gondola to top of Vail one time when it was -15. Was a painful ride down even with 2' of untracked fresh. Got frost nip on my upper cheek. Learned the hard way.

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
Wow!!! Its certainly been cold in the PNW. Its dusted down here on the coast once already and apparently snowing in Seattle rn. Those are some core surfers paddling out in what looks almost flat. When it snows on the beach around here, I head for the mtns. Been there done that!
By far the best advice on this thread. The lingering sno bro sprintervan/2nd3rdhome on the coast need to know how epic their homeland conditions are. Migration patterns are so f'd up these days.

That being said, can't wait to infect the lift lines of some mom and pop resorts like White Pass and Hoodoo with my kid soon.

Questions for the cool guys. Where do you buy Korua? Those Maassen edits and carves have me wondering how many seasons until hard boot and toe forward stances come back into style. So sick

Sep 18, 2016
By far the best advice on this thread. The lingering sno bro sprintervan/2nd3rdhome on the coast need to know how epic their homeland conditions are. Migration patterns are so f'd up these days.

That being said, can't wait to infect the lift lines of some mom and pop resorts like White Pass and Hoodoo with my kid soon.

Questions for the cool guys. Where do you buy Korua? Those Maassen edits and carves have me wondering how many seasons until hard boot and toe forward stances come back into style. So sick
Bought mine directly from their website. I have the 164 Dart, bought a year ago after watching their videos, which are all sick. Arrived in a few days after I ordered. Ordering a Cafe Racer next.... Board has been a total game changer for me, proper snow surfing. Their videos have inspired. Heading to northern Utah in a few days for a week or so, can't wait...

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Could be more snow hitting the Sierras next week. From the NWS SFO office:
The biggest weather story in the upcoming forecast is the
potential for a cooler and much wetter pattern after Christmas.
Current ensembles and deterministic models, along with cluster
analysis, indicates that this pattern change would arrive around
December 27. The latest WPC QPF guidance is now showing that we
could see fairly decent 24 hour rain amounts on the 27th: North
Bay forecast is 0.75" to 1.5", rest of the Bay Area around a
third to three-quarters of an inch, Santa Cruz mountains up around
an inch with the rest of Central CA seeing around a tenth to a
half inch (highest amounts along Big Sur mountains). The biggest
caveat to this forecast is that we are still a week away and
models can oscillate on the wetter trend. Thus, we`ll continue to
monitor. If the models remain consistent in this wet pattern for
the next few days, then our forecast confidence will increase.

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
Could be more snow hitting the Sierras next week. From the NWS SFO office:
Perfect, just in time for my trip up to N Lake Tahoe. I'll be watching this one.

This storm is coming in almost exactly a year after the huge Sierra storm that closed down many of the resorts and much of Tahoe, as well as the highways leading to it. I was denied that trip. :cry: :cursing:

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Perfect, just in time for my trip up to N Lake Tahoe. I'll be watching this one.

This storm is coming in almost exactly a year after the huge Sierra storm that closed down many of the resorts and much of Tahoe, as well as the highways leading to it. I was denied that trip. :cry: :cursing:
How can people afford skiing there?

1671689721329.png