*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Interesting. Last 2 seasons have been good in the PNW, although last season was a bit variable with a mid winter dry spell. All the snow, and a ton of it, either came over the holidays which was so much at times it closed resorts or in April (and May) which was a bit of a trip but awesome cause the crowds were light. Lots of precip through June, and even some 3-5 inch days, but not complaining about that now given lack of smoke and fires this summer in our little corner of the continent. The downside is I think La Ninas have not been great for surf, but during a brief clip of time in Jan and Feb there was a really good run and since then meh....... Kinda broke this year and getting priced out at my local resort so was hoping for more of a surfy winter. Guess time will tell.

Last edited:

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
i haven't owned skis since i gave away my 1988 203 k2 slalom 77's but my son works at a used gear store and hooked me with a scream'n deal on these beauties...

can't wait to get these things in some pow!!!

188 soul 7's...

1661442271963.png

and these Salomons are the most comfortable boot i've ever worn. getting wide enough footwear is a constant issue for me and has been a real pain point (literally) when renting ski boots - but these things are EXTRA wide and feel SO GOOD on the old footsies!

1661443290554.png

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
and these Salomons are the most comfortable boot i've ever worn. getting wide enough footwear is a constant issue for me and has been a real pain point (literally) when renting ski boots - but these things are EXTRA wide and feel SO GOOD on the old footsies!

View attachment 136622
The value of a well-fitting pair of boots cannot be overstated. I love mine (once they're on), and am hoping to put them to plenty of good use this winter.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
The value of a well-fitting pair of boots cannot be overstated. I love mine (once they're on), and am hoping to put them to plenty of good use this winter.
You all know me and you know what I do for a living in the winters now. Danger is my business. So if forced to choose I take performance > comfort.

Not going to be an issue thankfully this upcoming season. The 32 Joneses are broken in now. Got them because they’re as close to a hard boot as you can get, Vibram soles, no Boa to break, past season sale. It’s like my feet are glued to the board.

Speaking of soles. These are money. They’re a little wider than stock and going with thin gave me the extra volume I was looking for.

I put a pair in my everyday outdoor Dad shoes they’re so dank

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Mindbendingly spectabulous.
There’s everywhere else, then there’s places like Alaska.

They call me white devil, black Jesus
Heaven closes, hell freezes
Ego's trippin', scripts keep flippin'
Bloods keep bloodin', crips keep crippin'
Time keeps slippin', and I keep fallin'
I can't see but I hear them callin'
Ballers ballin', players playin',
Haters fightin', righteous prayin'

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
This evening really felt like summwr was on the way out. Which means winter will be here soon here. Opened for weekends to start mid October last year. Ended up only getting 350”. Looking forwarded to the new terrain to me of the knife ridge because I was too busy trying to figure out the 11 “Numbered Chutes” that or I never ended up feeling like hiking. Either way a decision got made to save it for this year. Stocked for the added vert and there’s some legit steep to ride up there if there’s coverage that then links up with the terrain off Alberta I love so much including but not limited to the Numbered Chutes. Pro tip I learned the hard way when it’s deep and you’ve just had a sick run and hit a cat track like they do in this vid. Use it to go to the lift. Heading back into the trees will get you fucked aka the Venus Flytrap area. But if there’s just a few inches of video game snow then there’s excellent chances to ride the snake and I fucking love snake runs.

After debating using them a bunch and seeing others with them last season when it’s The Deep, I will be rocking break down ski poles in the pack.

Place gets legit dumps and reminds me a lot of Alta bitd interns of terrain and krusty vibes only I’m old know and on a snowboard. It’s like masturbating in a time machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: hammies

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Fleeting Time premier tour kicks off in Bend this weekend and then there are screenings in the bay area (Warfield) and Encinitas (2 shows at La Paloma) in the next week. Go check it out. Looks insane with a stacked lineup of heavy hitters and legends. Sounds like a ton went into this and it's epic. Can't wait to see it. Winter is coming!

Reactions: Chocki

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Fleeting Time premier tour kicks off in Bend this weekend and then there are screenings in the bay area (Warfield) and Encinitas (2 shows at La Paloma) in the next week. Go check it out. Looks insane with a stacked lineup of heavy hitters and legends. Sounds like a ton went into this and it's epic. Can't wait to see it. Winter is coming!

Report: It was super good. Go see it in the theater on the big screen with the volume up and the crowd making noise. La Paloma on Saturday!

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
All the dope pow shredders are using retraction

Along with working on retraction something else I’d like to get better at in the pow is trying to use both feet more equally. When I was riding real good I was pressuring both feet pretty equally.

That and I’d like to experiment with forward biased (from reference) stances some more. At least when falling doesn’t = major excavation project. I went looking online for pros powder stances and the answers I did find were lame except for this one dude who sounded really cool. Like he partied as hard he shredded pow and he said “all the way forward, start from there”. Which made sense bc powder boards are set back to begin with. So I tried it and your front foot is always on the gas/more speed/glide and I’m pretty sure you initiate turns faster. The only drawback is in return for the speed you can porpoise way faster and will go over the bars if you don’t catch it and apply the brakes/rear foot pressure fast enough

Last edited:

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I have also started my winter preparations. Gonna collect a par of used skis, some boots, maybe one pair of poles :)

I need to make a new snowskate too :)

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
taos off to a decent start. could be n. new mexico colorados yr for heavy snow https://live2.brownrice.com/embed/tsvridge
Interesting. Latest Al Niño predictions are kinda sketchy for SoCo/N NM rn
Taos has been on my bucket list forever once I heard how steep and what a rad place it was in general. Def gonna get there more than once this winter

Speaking of steeps. Went online last year looking for better tech to ride the gnar. Aside from Malcom‘s drills and XVs tips, YouTube was worthless and the rest of the net not much better until I found this

I agree with everything he has to say except binding angles.

Reactions: daave and nwjkordel