*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
It's crazy that 10 years ago, you were able to get day passes for all those Utah mountains for under $60. Especially if down at some of the shops in Sandy.

Other than making the Gad II lift off-ramp less suicidal, what has Snowbird done to warrant jacking the price up triple in that time?
At least Kirkwood was only $90. Still expensive but not insane. Plus, can get there and back on one tank of gas.

I don't get it. Is this happening because these mountains are trying to be Disneyland and attract non-skier money by being lah-de-dah exclusive Aspen-style? I give zero fucks about any of the peripheral foofery modern ski areas have - the only thing that really matters is the actual mountain. :socrazy:

Although a pizza joint and a place to pick up a sixer to relax with after a hard day's riding is also nice. :beer:
Vail Resorts and Alterra hate day skiers.

• Wow
Reactions: Chocki and Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
why Don’t you wear a helmet?
did your mom give you a hard time about it?

im curious
who else here doesn’t wear a helmet?
My mom doesn't wear a helmet either. :roflmao:

My wife bought me a helmet a few years back; tried it one run, felt horribly off-balance just like when I once borrowed one of those power-balance bracelets that were all the rage (and didn't those go out of style fast). As I walked it back to the hotel after that run, I slipped on some parking lot ice, slammed my elbow into the pavement. Luckily I was carrying the helmet in that hand so it also slammed the pavement, easing some of the impact on my elbow. So maybe they are good for that aspect. :unsure:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I think it very cool you hit the slopes with your 81 year old mom
Thanks! Really stocked that she is able to keep skiing. With the knees/hips, it was hard for her to keep snowboarding but yeah, she was doing blacks/double blacks well into her 70s. Pretty hardcore overall. When I was a kid, we would take ski lessons together on crowded days to skip the liftlines and then would strong-arm the teacher and class to hit up all the runs we wanted to do. Sometimes we lured them our way, other times, teacher would tell us just to do it ourselves and meet the class at the bottom; S-1 at Ajax being a notable example. And at the lift, we were saying, what were you thinking, that run was fun! Ahh... good times. We stopped going to Aspen when it got way too expensive but for a while, though, really good times there. Would love to go back one day just for the moguls on Bell.

She mostly cruised the blues this trip but overall highlight was for her to ski with her grandkids, which is awesome. I hope to be doing the same one day.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
Spring conditions yesterday at solitude
it was mostly bump runs and hard packed near ice scratchy runs up top. East coast conditions but with west coast steepness, but I found a few good runs near eagle express and had some fun there

im really hoping a couple of inches of fresh snow makes a big difference over the next couple of daysView attachment 125446
Nice! Solitude fog guy. Incredible mom, Kento. Tell her hello from the two of us!

Reactions: Kento

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
colorado scenery

nobody was injured, but a couple of people took a ride from right near the top to about halfway down

both of them finished the ride with heads above snow so they didn't have to use their beacons/poles/shovels to locate bodies afterwards

very lucky

1648439037376.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Chocki and Kento

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Did 3 days/2 nights at the Peter Grubb Hut with two friends and we had a blast. Weather was warm, and coverage could have been better, but we managed to find some super fun runs, with one particular good gully with a wave feature towards the bottom. The whole zone is awesome and has so many different lines. It's basically a ski resort with no lifts.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I just checked, a day ticket at Andermatt (33 lifts, 180km of pistes) is 83 Francs, or about $89.

100% guarantee they're gonna skyrocket in the next few years.
#fuckvail lol

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
So stoked this thread is still firing with great pics! Iceman for the win with Chocki on the podium!!

Had to miss out on our crews first trip to Steamboat Springs, CO. They got perfect weather and buttery snow, with a wee bit of fresh laying down a couple days before they arrived. Steamboat's trail map and town look so cool. Bucket list to make it there in the coming seasons.

Attachments

Reactions: hammies and Iceman

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Steamboat is really flat, but the cold champagne pow (pretty fickle these days) and the endless well spaced tree runs kinda make up for it. My sis has lived there for 20 plus years. A cool little quiet town or used to be, but is becoming more of a resort on par with Vail and whatnot.

March was pretty much a bust here on Hood for storm and powder riding. Mostly dust on crust. Might of been a 6" or 8" day here or there, but I missed it either chasing waves in HI or spring breaking in SW Fla. The last 2 have been that way despite being a so called La Nina year. In the past March has delivered being cold and wet often with light crowds. Got up a few weekends ago now. Firm and fast early and softened up mid am. Typical Spring riding. The next day was spent with my girls on a one lift small local hill teaching them to snowboard. Actually cut em loose and drank beers at the bottom. Shooting for a few more days of likely spring corn and teaching my girls to board maybe a weekend of hiking corn on a blown volcano. Otherwise close to calling it a season as local resort is Thurs-Sun with 2 more weeks to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chocki and Iceman

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Another 11” in past 48hrs got me up to the mtn for a few hours. Was planning on taking it easy but the Numbered Chutes are like crack.
F7C6B688-404D-4051-96C6-C51B7B9247E9.png

Past two months I’ve spent at least 1/2 my time riding them. Asked rad ski patrol chick how many chutes there were and they go to 11. I still haven’t figured it out.

C8644F23-F023-4A5E-8A6D-6C6E5C7FD77F.jpeg

A468C703-E781-4DAE-9AFE-3FE391A5A078.jpeg

B950A57F-EBE0-4A5F-962F-8A26E12DB688.jpeg

5E7BD6B0-9723-4613-9112-C40FA5B68E67.jpeg

590EB29E-DCEE-4D36-B34B-0AA2D9618EAD.jpeg

Convinced the older surfer dude on vacation from Oahu I met to ride the chutes with me. He was stocked.