*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Spring conditions yesterday at solitude
it was mostly bump runs and hard packed near ice scratchy runs up top. East coast conditions but with west coast steepness, but I found a few good runs near eagle express and had some fun there

im really hoping a couple of inches of fresh snow makes a big difference over the next couple of days678A86EA-FA1D-4026-8894-08DD7BE277B7.jpeg

Reactions: tenover

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Spring conditions yesterday at solitude
it was mostly bump runs and hard packed near ice scratchy runs up top. East coast conditions but with west coast steepness, but I found a few good runs near eagle express and had some fun there

im really hoping a couple of inches of fresh snow makes a big difference over the next couple of daysView attachment 125446
This time of year the air temps aren’t enough by themselves to soften up the snow = follow the sun and “gentlemen’s starts” (10-11a) lol

Looking good for the weekend
1646405693389.png

Reactions: RemyXO

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Gorgeous here in Stratton. Plenty of pow in the glades. Stocked. Stratton, after 20 years, gets pretty boring. Its overlooked and unsung saving grace are all the glades. Much fun

took a few runs with this little crew. I think they were from out Connecticut office, maybe a client?

229249AD-69AD-49FA-A235-AB7825B9A82C.jpeg

571AAAB0-69FB-4BB4-BC16-813B20295814.jpeg
This is my boss/mentors 27 year old son. He’s been coming on this trip since he was 14. I practically raised him myself

:roflmao:
another couple random sunny vermont snaps
8E007D5E-ABE4-4E98-A79F-0CEBF6013EBA.jpeg
466FB273-1360-4C28-8EEE-AA5B741BD214.jpeg
83AFD214-6025-4321-A29E-C83EEE69AC78.jpeg

Last edited:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Powder day at park city yesterday with amazing conditions for a few runs
ive got one day left
so far did 1 day at solitude, one at snowbird, 2 at park city
probably wrapping it up at solitude, but no final answer yet
redeye home tonight and back to the real world tomorrow

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
the real world on Long Island is marginally better now that all mask mandates (except on mass transit) have been dropped

Back on topic- few more Stratton pics from the annual "race" we hold every year. Shots of fancy tequila for all racers (minus me of course) but I was busy helping little kids make snowballs to throw at the racers as they crossed the finish line

Yes, I know I'm not grabbing the tail, but I promise I did actually make the grab when I was a few feet higher- the cameraman was just too late

2022-5-1_ST_ZG_OutFront_Stratton-40 (2).jpg

2022-5-1_ST_ZG_OutFront_Stratton-128.jpg

2022-5-1_ST_ZG_OutFront_Stratton-76.jpg

2022-5-1_ST_ZG_OutFront_Stratton-122.jpg

Last edited:

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Just got back from 6 days skiing in Taos. Warm and sunny no shell necessary most days. The only line I waited in was for beer. First time there, nice and steep, challenging and skis much bigger than it's stats/acreage would indicate. Kind of a pain in the ass to get to but worth it

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i just realized, on the right hand side of the tequila pic, you can actually see me waiting for a shot to be poured. For the record, it was for the Mountain staff that had been spoiling us rotten all weekend. I insisted on getting a round for the crew, and everyone grabbed a dixie cup to help me do just that :foreheadslap: :beer:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
1648316656392.png

Up at Kirkwood, stayed at one of the lodges there, arriving Sunday, returning Thursday. Snowed about 9 inches Saturday, which was good for coverage. Am sure Sunday was fun that morning, but man, arrived around 3 and it was still mobbed, people parking out on 88. Worked out perfectly as I had the kids in ski lessons Mon-Wed so could rent their equipment the day before, reducing the Monday morning scrambling.

Monday through Wednesday was quintessential spring conditions, 40-50 degrees without a cloud in the sky. Little crusty on the very top but workable slush through the chutes in the middle of the mountain, moguls on Janek and others were super fun, but it did get very soupy at the bottom. Rode pretty much all my favorite runs there multiple times, absolutely no lines, chill vibes, just like Kirkwood should be. Vailification was observed but nowhere near as horrible as Mammothification. Funny how they ignore the existence of 7800 Bar and Grill, which is best place there by far. $3 Modelos go a long way.

Anyways, kids thrived, progressing really fast in spite of missing last season. Was my son's first time and both him and my daughter were skiing blues pretty handily, including the little Trench of Terror/Drain of Doom gullies through the trees. Stocked they enjoyed those so much because I love them too! Will be even more fun as they get better next year; definitely not sleeping on those Epic passes this time.

And best of all, my mom joined us and at 81 years old and multiple knee/hip replacements, she is still skiing. She takes it a bit easier but it was awesome taking runs with her and my daughter together; 3 generations holding it down at Kirkwood. :jamon:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Powder day at park city yesterday with amazing conditions for a few runs
ive got one day left
so far did 1 day at solitude, one at snowbird, 2 at park city
probably wrapping it up at solitude, but no final answer yet
redeye home tonight and back to the real world tomorrow
Late '80s we scored a powder day at Solitude. We stumbled on a "$5 Ticket Wednesday" promotion. There were few people, fresh tracks a plenty. My buddy called up his work from a pay phone in the lodge, said "I'm skiing powder for 5 bucks!", and hung up.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I just priced a typical weekend trip to Mammoth for my family of 4: $2800
$1400: 2 day lift tickets
$665: 2 nights airbnb 2br condo
$340: 2 days ski rentals for 3 (I have my own)
$400: Gas, food, and beer.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
172 at snowbird
I was lucky to have a buddy pass (half off?) for park city.
and borrowed ikon for solitude

172 is ridiculous
But whatever, at least I was just paying for myself

I wish I’d been at solo or snowbird on my powder day and park city on the days with worse conditions but still psyched to get powder in utah

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
172 at snowbird
I was lucky to have a buddy pass (half off?) for park city.
and borrowed ikon for solitude

172 is ridiculous
But whatever, at least I was just paying for myself

I wish I’d been at solo or snowbird on my powder day and park city on the days with worse conditions but still psyched to get powder in utah
It's crazy that 10 years ago, you were able to get day passes for all those Utah mountains for under $60. Especially if down at some of the shops in Sandy.

Other than making the Gad II lift off-ramp less suicidal, what has Snowbird done to warrant jacking the price up triple in that time?
At least Kirkwood was only $90. Still expensive but not insane. Plus, can get there and back on one tank of gas.

I don't get it. Is this happening because these mountains are trying to be Disneyland and attract non-skier money by being lah-de-dah exclusive Aspen-style? I give zero fucks about any of the peripheral foofery modern ski areas have - the only thing that really matters is the actual mountain. :socrazy:

Although a pizza joint and a place to pick up a sixer to relax with after a hard day's riding is also nice. :beer:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Park city Id expect to be really expensive. That town right at the bottom of the town lift is way upscale. Canyon side? I forget:shrug:
Not my scene at all
But for rich folk where some are there for the mountain and others are there for a scene, that’s the spot

Last edited:
Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Park city Id expect to be really expensive. That town right at the bottom of the town is way upscale
Not my scene at all
But for rich folk where some are there for the mountain and others are there for a scene, that’s the spot
Likewise. The Canyons is awesome - long live Canis Lupus. But the actual Park City? Meh. And screw Deer Valley.

Give me a middle-class mountain any day.

I remember when the nightlife at Mammoth was pretty much Whiskey Creek, Grumpy's, and... uh, A-Frame Liquor? Mandatory post-ski stop was the video rental store.

The exponential growth in helmet proliferation was a bit nutty to observe. Think I might be one of the last holdouts. I hope mountains don't start requiring them - the extra weight/dimensions on my head is distracting enough to be dangerous.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Likewise. The Canyons is awesome - long live Canis Lupus. But the actual Park City? Meh. And screw Deer Valley.

Give me a middle-class mountain any day.

I remember when the nightlife at Mammoth was pretty much Whiskey Creek, Grumpy's, and... uh, A-Frame Liquor? Mandatory post-ski stop was the video rental store.

The exponential growth in helmet proliferation was a bit nutty to observe. Think I might be one of the last holdouts. I hope mountains don't start requiring them - the extra weight/dimensions on my head is distracting enough to be dangerous.
why Don’t you wear a helmet?
did your mom give you a hard time about it?

im curious
who else here doesn’t wear a helmet?