*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I used to camp down the road at buckhorn. Whenever I drive by I always marvel at how steep it is even at the base.
Steep and icy. It was fun. First time I had been. I will definitely go back if they open this year.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Well, that was a disaster.
Bumper to bumper traffic all the way up the mountain. Line for shuttle....
Wet, heavy snow on top of ice.
Terrible visibility, drizzle, cold and Jerries everywhere. :(
Is this you trying to make me not feel bad for being stuck at home with Covid? Or is this you trying to make me feel guilty for giving you this idea?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Is this you trying to make me not feel bad for being stuck at home with Covid? Or is this you trying to make me feel guilty for giving you this idea?
You have COVID!? :cry:

it was truly horrible. The worst snow I’ve seen this season.

If it makes you feel better, I didn’t go to Baldy, the weather was questionable for skinning up and they don’t accept Ikon pass, plus they sold out.

I went to Big Bear thinking I’ll go hike and find good snow but this last storm actually completely missed Big Bear, there was just a sprinkling while Baldy got dumped on. Oh well!

get better

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
The catch is anticipating when to throw chains on. It's better to error on the side of caution if you know it's going to get real nasty ahead. I've never regretted voluntarily chaining up. When forced to by CHP on way to Big Bear....., yeah.
That and it’s a lot safer to chain up at the designated area or on a wide shoulder of your choosing than where your lack of uphill progress forced you to stop.

Reactions: npsp