*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
View attachment 121543

PS
All-wheel drive/4-wheel drive with studded tires for the no chain win.....but when you get enough snow, you can high-center yourself if you're not aware and then you're f^cked. Please don't ask me how I know, and thank-you to the guy in in the lifted 4x4 with the rope.
Carry these and you will never have to ask a Kyle with a disco truck for help.

1640900510157.jpeg

Reactions: Chocki

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
2:13 Check the two trucks handle the corner perfectly. Great driving and great tires.

Those Jeeps sliding with 36" mud tires, how :roflmao:

Notice how the only people who are sliding have their brakes locked?

The ones who made the corner, engine braking, 1-2 gear, gentle gas, no brakes.

Even Subies with CVT trannies have manual mode but nobody thinks of using it.
I've seen a dozen Subaru reviews by YT auto "professionals" who are consistently mocking the pedal shifters on cars with CVT transmission and calling them useless.

Same with auto transmissions, most people never think of putting it in manual mode when descending in snow or getting out of deep sand/mud/snow.

2nd gear is your friend...

Last edited:
Reactions: rice

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Those Jeeps sliding with 36" mud tires, how :roflmao:

Notice how the only people who are sliding have their brakes locked?

The ones who made the corner, engine braking, 1-2 gear, gentle gas, no brakes.

Even Subies with CVT trannies have manual mode but nobody thinks of using it.
I've seen a dozen Subaru reviews by YT auto "professionals" who are consistently mocking the pedal shifters on cars with CVT transmission and calling them useless.

Same with auto transmissions, most people never think of putting it in manual mode when descending in snow or getting out of deep sand/mud/snow.

2nd gear is your friend...
For me to drive in that I would have to seriously be in a rush to somewhere important.

Otherwise, why chance it and not wait for them to plow?

Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
For me to drive in that I would have to seriously be in a rush to somewhere important.

Otherwise, why chance it and not wait for them to plow?
It's doable if you have to be someplace but you have to be aware of your car's limits and your driving skill limits.

Kind of like pedaling out at Pipe ...

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
How's the drive? As much of a zoo as Big Bear traffic wise? I've never been.

Would like to hike and ski Kratka ridge.
We went on Tues to Snow Valley off the 330 on the way to Big Bear. The drive took for-ever -- about 3 hours from entrance to 330 to Snow Valley, was it ever packed. My kids loved it tho and the snow was amazing. If you go, bring a big pee bottle, lots of extra food and a ton of patience. Rely on NOTHING from the resort because lines for all goods and services from food to gear will be outrageous.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
How's the drive? As much of a zoo as Big Bear traffic wise? I've never been.

Would like to hike and ski Kratka ridge.
It can suck cause you get a lot of people who want to sled on the side
of the road below the ski area lot. If you don’t get an early enough start the chain checkpoint can be a nightmare. But once you clear the checkpoint it’s usually smooth sailing cause half of the morons get turned around.

Once you’re there it’s a rinky dink operation with almost no amenities and a seemingly volunteer ski patrol. There are three chairs and limited runs but much better terrain than Big Bear. It’s fickle but if you can get it right you can score some short glory runs. I’ve had thigh deep powder there on 2 or 3 occasions. You can also skin your way up, seen more than a few people do it bypassing the lines. Make sure you get reservations if you give it a go. They limit ticket sales due to Covid. And often times they fail to open because of lost power or avy danger beyond their capabilities. The window for good snow is short so it’s def fickle, but pretty special when you get it right.

CC77C1DF-DAE5-4EF2-AA95-7DE476F7E894.jpegE5F62376-8CAA-4BF0-95C8-A9B5912C262C.jpeg

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
It can suck cause you get a lot of people who want to sled on the side
of the road below the ski area lot. If you don’t get an early enough start the chain checkpoint can be a nightmare. But once you clear the checkpoint it’s usually smooth sailing cause half of the morons get turned around.

Once you’re there it’s a rinky dink operation with almost no amenities and a seemingly volunteer ski patrol. There are three chairs and limited runs but much better terrain than Big Bear. It’s fickle but if you can get it right you can score some short glory runs. I’ve had thigh deep powder there on 2 or 3 occasions. You can also skin your way up, seen more than a few people do it bypassing the lines. Make sure you get reservations if you give it a go. They limit ticket sales due to Covid. And often times they fail to open because of lost power or avy danger beyond their capabilities. The window for good snow is short so it’s def fickle, but pretty special when you get it right.

View attachment 121549View attachment 121550
Dang, that may be the ticket for the early skin up mission tomorrow or Saturday.
I'm not worried about the lifts, just the traffic.

I've got a jury duty tomorrow but it's just a phone in. How's the signal up there? :roflmao:

See all you Jerries on the hill! :monkey:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Dang, that may be the ticket for the early skin up mission tomorrow or Saturday.
I'm not worried about the lifts, just the traffic.

I've got a jury duty tomorrow but it's just a phone in. How's the signal up there? :roflmao:

See all you Jerries on the hill! :monkey:
If I recall I don’t think cell service is great up there but could be wrong.

monitor their IG account before you head up. Some days they don’t open after big storms…

http://instagr.am/p/CYF4C6hg-XW/

Reactions: plasticbertrand

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
If I was serious about skiiing and driving across sketch passes. No way I would try without an inREACH from Garmin or something similiar.

Way too many stories of dudes getting stuck and dying.