*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Sep 13, 2019
is 44 too old to learn?i took a lesson a few years back once things clicked hit one of the green runs still was pretty steep but I had it handled pretty well linking turs. 3rd run caught edge fell fwd tweaked my bicep/shoulder cuz they told me dont fall on ur wrists. but i want it so bad still.
Learn to ski instead. It's closer to surfing than snowboarding. Yes, I know, snowboarding looks so similar to surfing in the videos but once you step on a snowboard the first time you realize they're far different. The shoulders forward while your stance is locked in the opposite direction has nothing to do with surfing and feels completely unnatural. Then the way you turn the board is totally different. All that, while skiing feels very natural and when I say movement is different but the sensation is closer to surfing you will eventually see what I mean!

Now, if you live in or quite close to the mountains I would suggest learning to snowboard. Why? Because you're going to have much much more opportunity to ride powder and that's like surfing. Why? Because surfing is in your back leg and that's what riding powder is about. If you live in SoCal the powder days are rare and distnant. Go skiing instead.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Yearning for turning :shaka:
still trying to learn that slight jump between turns. did it a couple times when I got the Korua, and it's so fuckin rad.

once was racing a skiier down broadway to main lodge. we were HAULING! got close to the gate and I did a heel check turn to slow down. when the board came around the nose caught an edge and sent me face & shoulder first into the snow. slammed so hard. couldn't raise my arm. went to the hospital, luckily nothing broken but was a solid 3 months of recovery and the tendons are still kind of jacked up with scar tissue.
Go positive on your back binding. I was riding +20 and +5 for a few days messing around and I found myself unintentional jumping edge to edge. It's crazy how sluggish ducked out stances are in comparison.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Go positive on your back binding. I was riding +20 and +5 for a few days messing around and I found myself unintentional jumping edge to edge. It's crazy how sluggish ducked out stances are in comparison.
i'm neutral on my back binding

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
+27 front +18 rear on my Burton Dump Truck.
The more you angle your back foot positive, the easier it is to go edge to edge, and pull those jump turns. Plus less toe/heel drag when you lay it down!

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Learn to ski instead. It's closer to surfing than snowboarding. Yes, I know, snowboarding looks so similar to surfing in the videos but once you step on a snowboard the first time you realize they're far different. The shoulders forward while your stance is locked in the opposite direction has nothing to do with surfing and feels completely unnatural. Then the way you turn the board is totally different. All that, while skiing feels very natural and when I say movement is different but the sensation is closer to surfing you will eventually see what I mean!

Now, if you live in or quite close to the mountains I would suggest learning to snowboard. Why? Because you're going to have much much more opportunity to ride powder and that's like surfing. Why? Because surfing is in your back leg and that's what riding powder is about. If you live in SoCal the powder days are rare and distnant. Go skiing instead.
No offense, but I don’t think skiing is much like surfing. CCKeith said snowboarding clicked, he just ate it bad once so I would stick with it. I tried skiing and sucked at it. It absolutely did not seem anything like surfing. I clicked with snowboarding right away. I grew up surfing and skating, but always sucked at sports where my toes were pointing forward—ie roller skating, ice skating and fruit booting. I’d go with what feels more natural. I’ve had many convos with people who tried both early on and some jived with skiing but not snowboarding and some vice versa. Some people are more coordinated for skiing and some for snowboarding. I guess it’s not a bad idea to give skiing a try, but if you were comfortable snowboarding I’d stick with that, but just try and get better. 44 is not too old, but you are running out of time since you could die any day now.

Reactions: JBerry

WaialuaNate

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 19, 2011
Finishing up 8 days in Switzerland. 3 days in Zermatt and 2 in Andermatt. Hanging in Lucerne last night and saw a guy in old town with a HPSB in a boardbag. Which one of you was that?

Snow was good. Weather ok. Food and hospitality have been awesome. Wife and kid have had a great time too. Euro ski areas are a totally different thing compared to what I’m used to in CA/NV.

Now 2 more nights in Zurich and then head home. Mammoth after Christmas.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard

47 isn't too old! Not if you can go 2-3 times a week. I'm 67 and living proof it can be done. I retired at 55 and worked at getting 100 days a year. Became very capable.

Reactions: Leaverite

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
Just got back from five days in Mammoth. It is great right now, get up there if you can.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Brother and his family are ensconced at a killer townhouse in Squaw Valley village as I type. Four days of glory.

Everything is covered. Everything is open....And it has fresh on top.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Kids these days.... We all got together for a Christmas Eve dinner last night before they left.

My youngest nephew, Adam. Just graduated High School. He was up at Kirkwood last weekend with his little bros.

Showed his uncle scottie a video on his phone. One of his brobras, skiing, not snowboarding. doing a front flip, about 15' in the air and landing it. Skiing away like it was nothing.... Kids...

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Baldy is getting nuked right now. +35” forecast. Debating if they actually open tomorrow.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
My brother and my nephews were talking about the old school Christmas eve. Atomic Arc R/S. Bill Johnson. !st American EvAr Olympic downhill champion. Big boards were the absolute bomb. Guys Like Scott Shmidt. Glen Plake. 190's were entry level. 120's were common. No parabolic bullshIt. I love those years. Still have a killer pair of 190 Atomic RS Red sleds with new bindings...

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
My dad rode his 205 red sleds for years. They're currently mounted on the wall of the man cave at the place in Pioneer. Took him a while to get with modern tech skis, but he's loving his Nordicas. I skied for about 10 years before making the switch to snowboarding. Always said I would switch back for a day just to do it, but snowboarding has been too much fun and I never have. The Nordicas look pretty sick, I may have to finally do it.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Baldy is getting nuked right now. +35” forecast. Debating if they actually open tomorrow.
Heard it was snowing all the way down to the dam with 6" at the tunnels, 1' in the village, and 2+' in parking lot. Traffic an absolute nightmare.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Finishing up 8 days in Switzerland. 3 days in Zermatt and 2 in Andermatt. Hanging in Lucerne last night and saw a guy in old town with a HPSB in a boardbag. Which one of you was that?

Snow was good. Weather ok. Food and hospitality have been awesome. Wife and kid have had a great time too. Euro ski areas are a totally different thing compared to what I’m used to in CA/NV.

Now 2 more nights in Zurich and then head home. Mammoth after Christmas.
Mammoth is going to seem like a comedown, regardless of snow conditions.