*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Way too early. That will not even pack down to base. When you start seeing a 6' base. You start making reservations. Unless you have a lot of old snowboards to blow up.
I have rock boards in my quiver

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
If you’re waiting for a 6’ base in the San Gabriel’s you could be waiting an awful long time.

I’d say Baldy is good to go with a solid 3 feet. 2 feet settled with more on top they generally open most of the terrain.

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Was up at Kirkwood Monday and Tuesday. Sun was out and coverage is damn good considering it's early December. They had some fresh snow over the weekend so everything was tracked out, and they weren't grooming runs on the top section of the mountain just yet. But the snow quality was very nice so it was still a blast. Only hit one rock while on a long traverse when I couldn't see around a corner. Otherwise didn't have any hesitation taking out my main board and leaving the rock board in the truck.

Reactions: Leaverite and Kento

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Was up at Kirkwood Monday and Tuesday. Sun was out and coverage is damn good considering it's early December. They had some fresh snow over the weekend so everything was tracked out, and they weren't grooming runs on the top section of the mountain just yet. But the snow quality was very nice so it was still a blast. Only hit one rock while on a long traverse when I couldn't see around a corner. Otherwise didn't have any hesitation taking out my main board and leaving the rock board in the truck.

Saw on KSBW today that Squaw is already over 100 inches of snowfall this season. Way ahead of last year. According to the article, Squaw hit the 100 inch mark last season in January. Looks like we will be up there right after Christmas. My brother booked a townhouse next to Squaw village for four days.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Anyone have experience with Moss or Gentemstick type japanese "snowsurf" boards?
Haven’t personally ridden either but I hear great things. Particularly in powder but also for laying down carves on corduroy. If I ever pull the trigger on a Hokkaido trip I’d probably pick up a gentem while I’m there. They’re a bit spendy thought. Maybe look at Korua Shapes for a more affordable option?

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Anyone have experience with Moss or Gentemstick type japanese "snowsurf" boards?
there's Korua. the poor man's Gentemstick. their boards are actually awesome though. price went up €50 from last year, but still it's a good deal, especially if want a wide board.
My Pencil 164cm. the sidecut is just insane how it'll go rail to rail on a dime and the set back stance gives a lot of control plus float in powder

HyyNyGI.jpg

• Love
Reactions: $kully

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014
is 44 too old to learn?i took a lesson a few years back once things clicked hit one of the green runs still was pretty steep but I had it handled pretty well linking turs. 3rd run caught edge fell fwd tweaked my bicep/shoulder cuz they told me dont fall on ur wrists. but i want it so bad still.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
what about riding powder seems safer can get hurt?
Powder is the best. Falls tend to be easier on the body cause they're well cushioned but it's not without it's hazards. Tree wells, avys, hidden rocks and tree stumps, etc. More than anything you need to learn to get out of your comfort zone and embrace steep when you're in powder. Low angle slopes are trouble. Nothing sucks more than getting stuck. Walking 50' feet in snow up to your armpits if you unstrap can be hell. Trying to right yourself or get up in deep light snow can also be tough if you can't touch bottom for leverage. It's always easier to get up and unstuck when you're on a steeper slope with gravity on your side.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Powder is the best. Falls tend to be easier on the body cause they're well cushioned but it's not without it's hazards. Tree wells, avys, hidden rocks and tree stumps, etc. More than anything you need to learn to get out of your comfort zone and embrace steep when you're in powder. Low angle slopes are trouble. Nothing sucks more than getting stuck. Walking 50' feet in snow up to your armpits if you unstrap can be hell. Trying to right yourself or get up in deep light snow can also be tough if you can't touch bottom for leverage. It's always easier to get up and unstuck when you're on a steeper slope with gravity on your side.
kind of hard to get hurt while riding powder. guess it could happen. i've done full cartwheels riding powder back years ago when riding a full camber board and going too fast then sinking the nose. didn't hurt at all. powder riding in the trees is where can get hurt seriously. nearly Sonny Bono'd myself once, but then again drinks were involved before the run. powder when as a beginner could be kind of tough, just cause of trying to figure out speed management.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
kind of hard to get hurt while riding powder. guess it could happen. i've done full cartwheels riding powder back years ago when riding a full camber board and going too fast then sinking the nose. didn't hurt at all. powder riding in the trees is where can get hurt seriously. nearly Sonny Bono'd myself once, but then again drinks were involved before the run. powder when as a beginner could be kind of tough, just cause of trying to figure out speed management.
Exactly.

Powder on a thin base can be trickier, especially storm riding when it's windy and low visibility. I broke my Con Artist XX on a day like this. Top of mammoth was on weather hold so we were lapping dry creek off 5 or 3 (always mix those two up) and I was riding a ridgeline that wasn't the ridgeline I thought I was riding. Hit a submerged rock square on the nose of my board, flexed it to the max and the rebound launched me up and over the bars sending me front flipping over a small cliff and a pile of rocks. I was airborne long enough to look down and think "Oh sh!t, this is gonna suck" and then poof! I landed flat on my back in a bottomless snow drift. Landing on the bed in my hotel room would have hurt more. The only bummer is that my Con Artist which only had 2 1/2 days on it had a shattered top sheet. Full spiderweb and delamination coming from the heel of my front binding all the way up the nose.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Will be up Friday for quick work trip. No new snow expected but may do 3/4 of a day to get the legs flowing. Looks like good coverage for Dec.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
is 44 too old to learn?i took a lesson a few years back once things clicked hit one of the green runs still was pretty steep but I had it handled pretty well linking turs. 3rd run caught edge fell fwd tweaked my bicep/shoulder cuz they told me dont fall on ur wrists. but i want it so bad still.

If you fall going fast you're fcked.

Reactions: One-Off

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
If you fall going fast you're fcked.

Yearning for turning :shaka:
still trying to learn that slight jump between turns. did it a couple times when I got the Korua, and it's so fuckin rad.

once was racing a skiier down broadway to main lodge. we were HAULING! got close to the gate and I did a heel check turn to slow down. when the board came around the nose caught an edge and sent me face & shoulder first into the snow. slammed so hard. couldn't raise my arm. went to the hospital, luckily nothing broken but was a solid 3 months of recovery and the tendons are still kind of jacked up with scar tissue.