*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
snow valley resort here in so. cal is havin' a job fair this week~end,
seems that with our 1st snow of the new fall/winter on it's way, they have 100's of jobs available,
this per abc7 news a moment ago...
:cool:

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Looking at this gave me a semi

snow.JPG

Took this last year just a mile or so away from the location of the weather report above

continental.divide.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2016
My youngest is totally wanting to get into backcountry boarding. Looking for classes, clubs, and experienced people he can get involved with on the front range here in CO. Would love to hear recommendations if you have any.

I've been taking him backpacking and skiing/boarding since he was 3, so at 16 he's got a decent foundation to build on. I'd get into wintertime mountaineering with him, but at 52 I'm saving my remaining knee and hip mileage for warmer weather and less strenuous adventures.
I don't have much experience with course providers in the front range, but I have taken a handful of classes with silverton avalanche school, but I know they're on the opposite side of the state from you guys. I would just look into who is offering AIARE Rec level 1 courses and/or companion rescue courses. There are also a few online resources such as https://kbyg.org, but nothing will compare to hands on time in the field learning how to use avalanche rescue equipment, learning terrain navigation and identifying avalanche terrain.

There are also a lot of good books for him to start wrapping his mind around it a little more. Most basic being this one https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Mikes-Avalanche-Book-Staying/dp/0762779993, fallowed by https://www.amazon.com/Staying-Alive-Avalanche-Terrain-Tremper/dp/1680511386/ref=asc_df_1680511386/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312176357948&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10862014676132892067&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1028468&hvtargid=pla-523666049880&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=60258871137&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312176357948&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10862014676132892067&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1028468&hvtargid=pla-523666049880 and Snow Sense: A guide To Evaluate Snow and Avalanche Hazard, and lastly if you want to get real nerdy into the science https://www.amazon.com/Avalanche-Handbook-David-McClung/dp/0898868092.

Have you heard of this new ski area https://bluebirdbackcountry.com that started out in CO? I don't know much about them, but it could be a good was to ease his way into the world of the BC and find likeminded folks. It can take a while but finding an older mentor who has been skiing/snowboarding in the BC can help with the learning process as well.

Hopefully some of this wall of text is helpful and if you have any questions feel free to message me and I'll help out with the best of my ability.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I would just look into who is offering AIARE Rec level 1 courses and/or companion rescue courses.
Nice! I'd never heard of AIARE. Found an outfit here in the springs that does it and they do the field part of the class right next to the hill where we have our season passes so I could ski while he does the class. Now all I need is more money!!!

Have you heard of this new ski area https://bluebirdbackcountry.com that started out in CO? I don't know much about them, but it could be a good was to ease his way into the world of the BC and find likeminded folks. It can take a while but finding an older mentor who has been skiing/snowboarding in the BC can help with the learning process as well.
Yeah, that place looks cool! I showed it to him a couple months ago and he was like, "if we're going to drive that far, we should go to Silverton". Can't really argue with that. I imagine Silverton is also a pretty good place to get plugged into BC.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
Nice! I'd never heard of AIARE. Found an outfit here in the springs that does it and they do the field part of the class right next to the hill where we have our season passes so I could ski while he does the class. Now all I need is more money!!!

Yeah, that place looks cool! I showed it to him a couple months ago and he was like, "if we're going to drive that far, we should go to Silverton". Can't really argue with that. I imagine Silverton is also a pretty good place to get plugged into BC.
One lift and guide is needed if first timer or many timer. It's all back country.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Mammoth is opening Nov 13. They got a decent first dump from that last storm. :jamon:

Added this thread to the Popular Links.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
IMG_20190322_125635594_HDR.jpg
whistler last year. Did a week in vancouver victoria and whistler but don't think I'll be doing much preplanned ski trips in the future. Snow is usually chit, hard on the body and so damn expensive although the strong dollar and extra 20% off everything was nice. I think you gotta do strike missions only. some great views though.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
but don't think I'll be doing much preplanned ski trips in the future. Snow is usually chit, hard on the body and so damn expensive although the strong dollar and extra 20% off everything was nice. I think you gotta do strike missions only. some great views though.
Planning ahead requires a good amount of luck and/or planning later in the season and enjoying nice warm spring skiing. I used to go out to summit co almost every year, had a free place to stay as long as I shoveled, chopped wood and helped clear snow off the roof. If buying day passes we'd maybe make it out 60% of the days, the combination of crap snow, crowds and crazy expensive lift tickets just made it not worth it .

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Mammoth is opening Nov 13. They got a decent first dump from that last storm. :jamon:

Added this thread to the Popular Links.

dusting coming Friday. no reservations required for passholders. regular lift tickets limited. lodges with be 50% capacity (which I really only plan on going into if have to take a ****). no kids day care. lessons are private only. Facemasks required everywhere on the hill

Jan 8, 2016
IMG_2739.jpeg
first day back skiing this season. needed to walk up the hill to fix a weather station and start getting a feel for snow the snowpack before this weekends dump. we should end up with 2ft in the next 24hrs. no easing into the season this year I guess. you can count three of the Gazex pipes we use in the background.

• Love
Reactions: HarryLopez2 and r32

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Raining right now in Santa Cruz. Guaranteed some good, goopy wet base snow up in the Sierras.

I drove over 178 on the way out to Death Valley on Monday. Lake Isabella/Kernville. There was snow up there. Not a lot.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Sierra @ Tahoe with a decent start. Will be there Christmas week.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Just picked up a new pair of binders, Union Forces. Got last years for a superb deal at local surf snow shop. Been milking an old pair of Solomon's for quite some time. These sukas look cushy and comfy!

Local Mtn claiming their opening day after Thanksgiving even though we just started a 2 week freeze due to spiking Rona cases. They are also only selling a limited number of tickets a day and only online. Passholders can come and go as they please. This could be good and the model going forward as this Mtn has reached capacity, but I am not sure they are putting a cap on pass sales? And as we have seen with outdoor recreation this past Spring and Summer, everyone is buying passes and getting ski and snow gear. If they have to space lifts its gonna suck. Meanwhile splitboards are flying out of shops like hot cakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: bruhdakine