*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
BAD and Double Bad at Alpine Meadows this morning...

Supposedly that was at a beginner lift. They're really lucky that it didn't happen a day later. Probably be a lot more people on that hill on a holiday weekend. I'm seriously considering getting a beacon for inbounds riding.

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
Supposedly that was at a beginner lift. They're really lucky that it didn't happen a day later. Probably be a lot more people on that hill on a holiday weekend. I'm seriously considering getting a beacon for inbounds riding.
It's definitely a good idea. I used to have an Avalung backpack, which also has a beacon, but unfortunately I lost it. I have seen some big slides inbounds.

I'm at Mammoth right now.

Yesterday ended up being fun, although not epic. The new snow helped things, although there are still rocks around. Some bumps are forming, they could use some wind to buff things out.

I skied the top most of the day, some laps on Dave's, Climax, a couple of Paranoids laps and the area under Monuments. The snow was mixed some cutup crud, afew bumps, some firm patches. The best snow I found was the skier's right area of Climax, under the TOTW, fun, cutup snow. Some of the other stretches of Climax are a bit bumped out. Dave's was fun, but mixed, with some firm, bumpy sections and some nice sections of cutup snow. The Paranoids had some good cutup turns, but a few firm patches too. The entrances to the noids are pretty bony, it it worth a lap or two, because the snow is good, but I found the snow on the skier's right of Climax to be better. The nuisance of getting to the noids and getting into them kept me from making more laps, it is pretty good, but not great.

The crowds are actually quite limited. I was practically walking on to the mid-station gondi, and chair 23 was light too. I don't know if I have ever seen an MLK weekend so light. Often when I ski this weekend I end of skiing the Avi chutes to avoid crowds on the upper mountain, but yesterday was not bad.

The mountain is fun, it is skiing pretty well right now if you find the right spots, but they REALLY need several feet of good Sierra cement.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
It's definitely a good idea. I used to have an Avalung backpack, which also has a beacon, but unfortunately I lost it. I have seen some big slides inbounds.

Yesterday ended up being fun, although not epic. The new snow helped things, although there are still rocks around. Some bumps are forming, they could use some wind to buff things out.

I skied the top most of the day, some laps on Dave's, Climax, a couple of Paranoids laps and the area under Monuments. The snow was mixed some cutup crud, afew bumps, some firm patches. The best snow I found was the skier's right area of Climax, under the TOTW, fun, cutup snow. Some of the other stretches of Climax are a bit bumped out. Dave's was fun, but mixed, with some firm, bumpy sections and some nice sections of cutup snow. The Paranoids had some good cutup turns, but a few firm patches too. The entrances to the noids are pretty bony, it it worth a lap or two, because the snow is good, but I found the snow on the skier's right of Climax to be better. The nuisance of getting to the noids and getting into them kept me from making more laps, it is pretty good, but not great.

The crowds are actually quite limited. I was practically walking on to the mid-station gondi, and chair 23 was light too. I don't know if I have ever seen an MLK weekend so light. Often when I ski this weekend I end of skiing the Avi chutes to avoid crowds on the upper mountain, but yesterday was not bad.

The mountain is fun, it is skiing pretty well right now if you find the right spots, but they REALLY need several feet of good Sierra cement.
Hopefully it's people protesting the absurd cost

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

Crowds were light because ikon was blacked out.

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
Crowds were light because ikon was blacked out.
Yeah, the base pass is blacked out.

I have noticed lighter crowds during MLK and Pres. weekends the last couple of years. I heard someone say, not sure if this is true of not, that 75% of the Ikon passes purchased were base passes. I tend to like to go on pres and MLK because if you take Friday off you get a 4 day trip, which is nice. I know how to deal with the crowds pretty well, take the Yellow line shuttle from our place, ski chair 23 and the upper gondi at off-peak times and ski the avi chutes when 23/gondi are crowded, but this weekend I was barely waiting in line for 23 or the upper gondi. My guess is that next weekend will be packed.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Good to see this thread going strong. Looks like the usual suspects are at it scoring good days and arguing about the details. Keep up the good work!

We had a super slow start to the season but it filled in with a bang this past week. Stoked.

Here's a post our local put on their gram of my boys getting some pow on a sleeper day a couple weeks ago.

http://instagr.am/p/B69YSxKlLs0/

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Good to see this thread going strong. Looks like the usual suspects are at it scoring good days and arguing about the details. Keep up the good work!

We had a super slow start to the season but it filled in with a bang this past week. Stoked.

Here's a post our local put on their gram of my boys getting some pow on a sleeper day a couple weeks ago.

Nice!

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009

That is a beautiful shot!

Monday was a blast at Mammoth. The wind machine finally did its thing and produced insane windbuff on Dave's. It was getting better as the day went on. It looked like Climax was getting buffed too, but we cut out around 1 and I could not tear myself away from Dave's.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
That is a beautiful shot!

Monday was a blast at Mammoth. The wind machine finally did its thing and produced insane windbuff on Dave's. It was getting better as the day went on. It looked like Climax was getting buffed too, but we cut out around 1 and I could not tear myself away from Dave's.

Daves + wind buff might be the next best thing to blower powder.

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Monday at Kirkwood was pretty fun. Flew up solo so covered pretty much the entire mountain and found stashes of windpack here and there. Heading back up next week for a few days, might do some backcountry off Carson Pass. Then heading to Snowbird and Park City in February.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Heading to Park City on Tuesday - Saturday. My gloves finally gave out last week.... They were 15+ YO DaKines that did me well until the seams came apart last Friday in Mammoth. Need to buy some new ones; what's the call for a good cold weather heavy snow glove?
For your troubles:
1579880029982.png

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Heading to Park City on Tuesday - Saturday. My gloves finally gave out last week.... They were 15+ YO DaKines that did me well until the seams came apart last Friday in Mammoth. Need to buy some new ones; what's the call for a good cold weather heavy snow glove?
For your troubles:
View attachment 85397
Kinco's + Snow Seal. gloves lifties & ski patrol use
https://www.amazon.com/KINCO-Pigskin-Leather-HeatKeep-Thermal/dp/B01AT2XQ18/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2WHNEF5HX6GOG&keywords=kinco+ski+gloves&qid=1579886306&sprefix=kinco,aps,195&sr=8-4
Check ebay too. I got a brand new pair on ebay for $12. Kinco's run large so size down. I'm a XL in DaKines but a Medium with Kinco

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
seems like leather gloves are having their day

how do you feel about mittens? I feel like they keep my hands warmer

I don't feel at a loss, dexterity-wise

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Reactions: afoaf

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
my son has a pair of those and seems pretty happy with them.. my 20+ year old columbia gloves are coming apart at the seams so this is a well timed topic... i had never considered leather ski gloves, but the more I think about it the more i like the idea, although I'm thinking I'd go with frequent applications of glove oil instead of the snoseal

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
my son has a pair of those and seems pretty happy with them.. my 20+ year old columbia gloves are coming apart at the seams so this is a well timed topic... i had never considered leather ski gloves, but the more I think about it the more i like the idea, although I'm thinking I'd go with frequent applications of glove oil instead of the snoseal
new years was my first trip with Kincos. they worked just fine. plenty warm & comfy. TBD on powder days vs wearing my Dakine gore-tex gloves.