*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
I just pulled the trigger on the 159 Antigravity. Had some Amazon giftcards burning a hole. Looking forward to putting this board through the paces next weekend. Now to attempt to sell my old board.

Oct 15, 2015
Its clearly a pretty common misconception that "fishy" boards are meant only for deep pow days. I picked up a Moss performance quad 54 recently. Rode it in spring-like conditions in mammoth last weekend. I had at least 5 people ask me how I liked my "powder board". This board works insane in just about all conditions and I really cant recommend it enough. Amazing carving board. Very different feeling than your standard twin/directional twin. I speak only for myself, but this is as close to a surfers' snowboard that I have found. I've heard great things about the korua boards as well, haven't ridden one myself yet.

Contemplating getting on a directional board. I don't ride switch much if at all and I don't ride park really. Unfortunately also don't make it to the mountain as much as I'd like. Mainly East Coast groomers with the occasional trip out west. But I've never enjoyed my current board a Gnu EcoGenetics 159 much. I've moved around my stance a good amount.

The Gnu Antigravity piqued my interest as a compromise. Considering I'm not riding powder conditions regularly, the truly fishy boards seem like they'd be overkill/not fun in most conditions. Any ideas or opinions on the shape/style?

Going to Sutton in Quebec next weekend, tiny mountain with old school lifts but ~$90 for two days and my buddies family has a house within walking distance. They've had a decent winter snow wise so looking forward to it.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Bring your alcohol.

Those days are gone. Some good whiskey bars in SLC now. Still hard to find a beer on the mountain. Last time I was at snowbird there was only one bar on the whole mountain. Not sure if it's changed. But I usually take edibles when I ride and can wait till apres if push comes to shove.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Ever been to a Utah liquor store??? Like going to the DMV. Mormons. Stay away from downtown
Salt Lake City. Anywhere near the Morman Tabernacle.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Snowbird/Alta. Alta... Alfs High Rustler... Beyond steep. When you stand at the top and can only see the bottom.

I only went to snowbird once and the conditions were terrible but you could see the potential. Next day we got 18" of fresh at brighton. It was still low tide but a ton of fun.

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
Those days are gone. Some good whiskey bars in SLC now. Still hard to find a beer on the mountain. Last time I was at snowbird there was only one bar on the whole mountain. Not sure if it's changed. But I usually take edibles when I ride and can wait till apres if push comes to shove.
In the early 90's, senior year in high school, I spent the first week of winter break in Vail with my family, then the second week in Park City. I was very lucky. The second week was spent with one of my friends. His dad had a mansion in Park City. After the first night his dad's 25 year old trophy gf came, so his dad got us a room in a hotel in downtown Park City. We had actually gotten fake ID's the summer before in Time Square, and they were terrible. We would have to go to about 20 liquor stores to find one that would sell to us, the IDs said we were students at NYU and our age. Amazingly, the IDs worked in Park City. At the time you had to be a member to drink in a bar there, but a membership was 10 bucks you could bring in your friends as guests. That was a fun trip. The next summer I went to Orientation at UCSB and the ID worked at SOS, which was a miracle. When I got to campus in the fall the ID did not work again in IV. I always found it funny that this horrible ID worked in Utah but was hit or miss everywhere else, somewhat ironic. I guess the bouncers in Park City were not used to seeing fake IDs at that time, or maybe they just didn't care? Good times.

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
RIP to a legend!
Thanks for all the rides!!
RIP.

A life well lived. Dave McCoy was a true pioneer. When he started Mammoth people told him it was too remote, too windy....But he persevered and created one of the great mountains in North America.

I actually had quite a bit of fun at Mammoth this weekend. I spent most Friday and Saturday lapping Climax, skiing the area to skier's right, under the Top of the World cliffs. That area is pretty smooth, and there are some fun rocks and gullies. It is firm, but still edgable. It was not as crowded as one would expect, I was using the singles line for the upper gondi and I don't think I waited for longer than 8-10 minutes on Saturday. They had to break out the snake at one point, but was really not that bad. I also hit up chair 23 for some laps and that was pretty empty. I was skiing the area between Scotty's and Monuments. It was pretty rocky and firm, but there were a couple of good lines if you looked for them.

Mammoth REALLY needs snow. That being said, I really had a blast on Climax. I grew up skiing Belleayre, Hunter and Catamount, so I certainly can't complain about this. I really hope this pattern changes soon.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
You're stoked. It looks like Big Sky will be getting the most out of this storm out of all the regions.
Big Sky was INSANE! road Friday to Sunday with powder every day. We scored on the major dump storm that came thru. such light snow compared to the westcoast. my Korua Pencil killed it. floated like crazy. only con was it's more a skier mountain so it gets pretty damn mogully. didn't get to Challenger as it was still being checked by ski patrol. part of our group did get up there right as another weather system came. visibility was zero and they were scared shitless never being up there before not knowing where the cliffs were. The town is building like crazy now that they're on the Ikon pass. they're dumping some major money into it and building a brand new left further past Six Shooter.

• Wow
Reactions: $kully