*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
ikon pass holders, how are you opting for the assurance decisions?
going with the one resort option. the all resort might get screwed. if some random place decides to close for covid while everywhere doesn't including your local, get fucked.

Jan 8, 2016
Anyone catski Targhee? I've had my eye on that for years, but I keep just doing the lifts and hiking. If you have, was it worth it?
From what I understand I don't believe it is totally worth it if that's what you're planning on your entire trip around, but fun to tack on if you're already there. One of my brother's good friends guides for them, but haven't asked him much about it. Ski season is bitter sweet for me seeing as it means it's my yearly migration 1000 miles away from the coast to go back to my avalanche forecasting job.

Reactions: scdad

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Squaw Valley. Host to the 1960 Olympics. Multiple ski movies. To rename it now is a complete insult to all that has gone before.

Exactly why is the new generation of couch potatos living at home so Butt Hurt???? The next thing will be to rename the Donner Party to the Doner Party....fvck.....

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Squaw Valley. Host to the 1960 Olympics. Multiple ski movies. To rename it now is a complete insult to all that has gone before.

Exactly why is the new generation of couch potatos living at home so Butt Hurt???? The next thing will be to rename the Donner Party to the Doner Party....fvck.....
This ain't coming from the new generation of couch potatoes. Try mid-30s to mid-50s transplants from Wisconsin or Rhode Island or wherever that just got into skiing/snowboarding and OMG look at all the mountains on my cross-country pass; oh, can we call it Smiley River Glen instead.

Oh well. Look on the bright side - those people will not be stealing your powder stashes or mogul lines. They'll be too busy vaselining their boutique tats in the restroom while flailing down Broadway.

Reactions: Leaverite

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
This ain't coming from the new generation of couch potatoes. Try mid-30s to mid-50s transplants from Wisconsin or Rhode Island or wherever that just got into skiing/snowboarding and OMG look at all the mountains on my cross-country pass; oh, can we call it Smiley River Glen instead.

Oh well. Look on the bright side - those people will not be stealing your powder stashes or mogul lines. They'll be too busy vaselining their boutique tats in the restroom while flailing down Broadway.
True... You can always ski all day and drop the Squaw name in the apres bar or on the Tram. A dilineation. The old and the clueless....

Squaw.... A California dumping ground. Me???

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
going with the one resort option. the all resort might get screwed. if some random place decides to close for covid while everywhere doesn't including your local, get fucked.
Fook IKON. Was so happy to vote with my dollars and NOT renew this year. They were advertising $200 savings this year, went to renew my base pass, which was going to be minus Aspen & Jackson this year..??.. $29 less than we paid last season. Straight up false advertising.

What they should’ve done, even though it wasn’t their fault, would be to offer existing pass holders a significant discount on a renewal for missing out on about 25% of the season due to the plandemic. I would have renewed had we been offered a pass in the high $400 range.

All good. Life goes on. We plan to ride every misty little shred hill we can this season, and take advantage of available discounts while not being locked into the pass investment having to ride the same areas we have the last couple years.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Fook IKON. Was so happy to vote with my dollars and NOT renew this year. They were advertising $200 savings this year, went to renew my base pass, which was going to be minus Aspen & Jackson this year..??.. $29 less than we paid last season. Straight up false advertising.

What they should’ve done, even though it wasn’t their fault, would be to offer existing pass holders a significant discount on a renewal for missing out on about 25% of the season due to the plandemic. I would have renewed had we been offered a pass in the high $400 range.

All good. Life goes on. We plan to ride every misty little shred hill we can this season, and take advantage of available discounts while not being locked into the pass investment having to ride the same areas we have the last couple years.
the $200 is some marketing BS.
but still if this is a full season the price works when my local day lift tickets are $150/day +

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
day lift tickets are $150/day +
Right? WTF happened? It really wasn't that long ago tickets were only around $45, maybe $60 at most. Well, the SoCal mountains of note aren't pulling that crap (I hope).

I need to find a lift ticket workaround (does bribing a particular lift operator with nugs still work?). :beer:

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Going to Snowjam for about $20 in Del Mar this November, nabbing a free Brianhead Utah ticket and other discounts. Going to see our friends in Summerlin (Vegas) and hitting Lee Canyon for cheap, and then going the 3 hours past to Brianhead. Maybe tack an extra day on at still a much cheaper price.

Will assume the position to ride in Tahoe over the holidays, but Sierra has usually
been good to us and is still under $100 a day. Will do Mammoth at least once, but beyond that, I hope Baldy opens chair 4 and I’ll go, maybe something else if it works. Just not expecting much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kento
Jan 8, 2016
Gotta love people who need saving, from themselves.

it's amazing the amount people I've dealt with be it while ski patrolling, avalanche forecasting for a highway system, building skis or in the shop who are unwilling to get the avalanche education they need before heading into the backcountry. Someone is willing to drop thousands of dollars on new ski gear and even avalanche equipment and not get the basic education on how to use the sh!t. there is a positive trend throughout the industry of people recognizing the importance of avalanche education though. the company I used to teach avalanche courses for normally has 6-7 any 1 courses each winter and this year they're already up to 15 courses.

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
it's amazing the amount people I've dealt with be it while ski patrolling, avalanche forecasting for a highway system, building skis or in the shop who are unwilling to get the avalanche education they need before heading into the backcountry. Someone is willing to drop thousands of dollars on new ski gear and even avalanche equipment and not get the basic education on how to use the sh!t. there is a positive trend throughout the industry of people recognizing the importance of avalanche education though. the company I used to teach avalanche courses for normally has 6-7 any 1 courses each winter and this year they're already up to 15 courses.
Scary article. I took the ARARE 1 class two seasons ago BEFORE I ever ventured in the backcountry. We're all relying on each other to be proficient and safe. I wouldn't want somebody to make a bad decision that could impact myself or my party or vice versa. Kirkwood has been putting on AIARE 1 classes every weekend for years now, and there are plenty of other locations putting on classes. There is no excuse.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
With social distancing going into ski season I predict a huge uptick in people taking to the backcountry without proper training or experience. I have a feeling backcountry accidents will be at an all-time high this season.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Backcountry skiing is a high-risk undertaking even if you are knowledgeable and prepared. The mountains are always ready to kill you for free.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
My youngest is totally wanting to get into backcountry boarding. Looking for classes, clubs, and experienced people he can get involved with on the front range here in CO. Would love to hear recommendations if you have any.

I've been taking him backpacking and skiing/boarding since he was 3, so at 16 he's got a decent foundation to build on. I'd get into wintertime mountaineering with him, but at 52 I'm saving my remaining knee and hip mileage for warmer weather and less strenuous adventures.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
My youngest is totally wanting to get into backcountry boarding. Looking for classes, clubs, and experienced people he can get involved with on the front range here in CO. Would love to hear recommendations if you have any.

I've been taking him backpacking and skiing/boarding since he was 3, so at 16 he's got a decent foundation to build on. I'd get into wintertime mountaineering with him, but at 52 I'm saving my remaining knee and hip mileage for warmer weather and less strenuous adventures.
I’d thought for the longest time that I’d go full backcountry when the opportunity presented itself which it will next winter in CO. Changed my mind eventually. Hike to ski once you get off the lift is as backcountry as it will get for this dude. I’d honestly ask your son how he’d feel about coming home from a trip to the BC with one less friend or not coming home at all?

All the classes, gear and expert friends doesn’t mean sh!t when a party above you cuts loose a slide, the pit you dug is irrelevant to the slope you’re gonna ski, the weather changed the snowpack overnight, etc. Too many variables and Risk/reward ratio ain’t worth it IMO.

But I’d have you and your kid read every incident from the past decade and make up your own mind?