*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Snuck up to Bear Valley with the fam on Thursday night. Terrible night's sleep, but seeing 10" of cold snow on the ground ithe next morning was like a jolt of caffeine to the system. Bombed up to the mountain from Arnold and traded laps with my wife while we watched our kid in the lodge. I haven't been up to that mountain much, but there is some fun tree riding. And an entire backside which we didn't get to explore. Good wholesome family fun, capped off by a walk through Calaveras Big Tree State forest to walk amid the truly massive Sequoias. And the best part was taking the backroads the entire way and avoid the guts of San Jose, which is normally unavoidable.. and generally sucks some of the fun out of it for me. Stoked.
I lived there in 1970. Learned to ski. The had french instructors. Learned Stem Christy now know in America as Pizza French Frys. Fucking Yanks. Jimmy Huega and Billy Kidd ran the Ski School. Different times They had the ProAm. Clint Eastwood and a plethora of stars. I rode the chair with Spider Sabich.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I lived there in 1970. Learned to ski. The had french instructors. Learned Stem Christy now know in America as Pizza French Frys. Fucking Yanks. Jimmy Huega and Billy Kidd ran the Ski School. Different times They had the ProAm. Clint Eastwood and a plethora of stars. I rode the chair with Spider Sabich.
Very cool. I imagine it was an epic era. They have some black and white photos of the ProAm up on the wall still.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Very cool. I imagine it was an epic era. They have some black and white photos of the ProAm up on the wall still.
The ProAm was my Mom. She was hired out of a Beverly Hills PR firm. Too bad she didnt get Bonzer to come up there! Ron Ely was hanging off the back of chairs screaming Tarzan sounds. Originally The Lodge was a Club Med. We lived there for a coupe months before we got a house. We met the Alters who lived up there that season as well. Hobie and the family. Went to school with Jeff and Hobie Jr. Eventually my Mom got a gig working for him down in Capo Beach. It was a little to much to fast up there and the small town problems overtook it and it was over before you knew it had happened. Ive been there a couple times in the last few years. It all seemed so much bigger then. Ski BearIMG_0912.jpeg The school. K-8IMG_3431.jpeg

Last edited:

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
the corn is coming soon

soft and supportive

i love spring

:dancing:

i think this weekend i might ditch my gortex parka and bust out the Hawaiian shirt

1712675338423.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Chocki

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
My second time in Aspen, and despite some firm conditions in spots, it did not disappoint. We had a full spectrum of surface conditions from hardpack, to a mixed bag of decent snow depending on the altitude and aspect, and of course silky spring afternoon corn on the lower mountains.

View from the living room with the Silver Queen Gondola tower in the foreground. :cool:

Aspen Proper.jpg

The Sundeck has got to be one of the best summit lodges in the world. The food up there is great, and the views are unparalleled with at least one Colorado 14'er off in the distance and several 12k'+ peaks, along with the Highland Bowl and Aspen Highlands resort on the middle > right.

Sundeck Pano.jpg

AJAX Groomers. Shoulda brought my 163. heh heh.

AJAX Groomers.jpg

Aspen Proper! My wife snowboarding on the left, damn goofy footers. :geek:

Aspen Town.jpg

Got to experience a bit of the Aspen Highlands closing party, which is legendary. We had a little party going on this mid-mountain point which holds the best views. The Highland Bowl can be partially seen on the far upper left, with a little ant line going up it. 15x Zoom on the 2nd image shows all the peeps hiking it.

Highlands Point.jpg
Highland Bowl Hike.jpg

A little spring snowstorm decided to cancel us from departing Saturday, and by then we couldn't get out until Monday, so we booked another place at the Snowmass village and rode Snowmass after the storm for a total of 3 mountains (the 4th, Buttermilk, is already closed for the season.

Snowmass from the air...

Snowmass AIR.jpg

Until next time friends. :cool:

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
full on spring party scene on the ski hill this weekend

lots of folks in shorts, bunch of Hawaiian shirts (#metoo), quite a few going no shirt, some leotards and butterfly wings, and these guys...

tubbies.jpeg

crowds were light, mashed potatoes were thick, and i skipped most of my turns in favor of just BOMBING down mostly empty runs

empty.jpeg

i love spring!

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Spent 3 days hitting the slopes for some great spring conditions this week.

Monday - first time ever at Heavenly. Limited on the runs since a lot of the lifts were closed for the season, but the riding was great. Hit the Nevada side in the morning as it was in the sun first, then migrated over to the California side just before lunch. Found some runs that had somewhat of a bank on the left side of the trail, so I was basically surfing it as if it were a left wave. Had a blast and the views were indeed heavenly.

Tuesday and Wednesday - back at home at Kirkwood. There is a snake run heading down from the top of the cornice. 30+ turns of leg burning fun. I was able to make it from top to bottom without stopping or getting bucked out 5 times. Chased the sun around the groomers each day until about 1pm until it got a little too mushy too low. Some good corn to be had. Great way to close out the season for myself.

IMG_6497.JPEG

IMG_6501.JPEG

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
13 yo daughter, who has become a good skier with beautiful form, wanted to try boarding for the first time last week with her bestie who had never been. Thought they were both going to faint after the first two runs of falls and struggles and overheating. Seriously. Rested, drank water and ate, and they rallied to have a great time. I boarded a bit in college, but love skiing, so hoping my daughter dabbles in boarding and comes back to skiing! lol

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Spent 3 days hitting the slopes for some great spring conditions this week.

Monday - first time ever at Heavenly. Limited on the runs since a lot of the lifts were closed for the season, but the riding was great. Hit the Nevada side in the morning as it was in the sun first, then migrated over to the California side just before lunch. Found some runs that had somewhat of a bank on the left side of the trail, so I was basically surfing it as if it were a left wave. Had a blast and the views were indeed heavenly.

Tuesday and Wednesday - back at home at Kirkwood. There is a snake run heading down from the top of the cornice. 30+ turns of leg burning fun. I was able to make it from top to bottom without stopping or getting bucked out 5 times. Chased the sun around the groomers each day until about 1pm until it got a little too mushy too low. Some good corn to be had. Great way to close out the season for myself.

View attachment 178310

View attachment 178311
Unreal the difference between the views on the CA side (heaven) and Nevada side (Mars) , eh?

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
hit closing day at monarch yesterday

what a fantastic party

people grilling in the parking lot, dancing on the deck, showing lots of skin while sliding down the hill, tossing frisbees, cruising around on bikes and motorcycles, smoking, drinking, wearing costumes, being silly... total hoot

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
hit closing day at monarch yesterday

what a fantastic party

people grilling in the parking lot, dancing on the deck, showing lots of skin while sliding down the hill, tossing frisbees, cruising around on bikes and motorcycles, smoking, drinking, wearing costumes, being silly... total hoot
Closing days are sad bc the season is over but also the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: crustBrother

LurkNoMore

Nep status
Mar 4, 2013

Last week at AM.

Closing in four days.

KW video of people running that,
Like everything at KW.

Totally BA.

Last edited: