***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread***

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
On the way back home, I stopped in to stay with some friends at Kirkwood, and we did a little backcountry tour. Tried out my new splitboarding gear. I'm hooked.

Scoping out a future line.

Skin it to win it.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
A few from Memorial Weekend on Mammoth Mtn...

So filled in at the end of May, areas are way flatter than normal... Dry Creek > Triangle runs in the chair 5 area.

Climax... had fun dropping into the far side a couple times...

They left a bit of a Cornice on Cornice Bowl and I picked the steepest line I could going in. I've always been a baby when it comes to steeps, so this season felt good scraping into some solid Double Blacks...

Finally hiked White Bark Ride to White Bark Bowl... Some peeps were going all the way up to Start Chute, but we chose to drop early and hit the fresh panel we saw lower down...

They opened more lifts Saturday 5/25 and we were able to get on the hill from Chair 17 / Canyon Lodge... Made a point to traverse across Lincoln Mtn. on our way back as I knew the run next to Chair 8 would be untracked, and sure enough we scored... Spring Freshies for our final run of the season. :applause2: :jam_on: :cool:

Until next year friends. :violin: It was truly a historic season with the most snowfall ever recorded in CA. at 715"++. Some areas of Colorado at 1000%+ of average, and CO. as a whole at 500%+ of average (or so I read). Crazy.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
715++ inches. The highest recorded snowfall in the Sierra's since people started keeping snowfall records. My Sierra fishing trip this summer is cancelled. Still 5'+ feet of snow on the ground in June. The lake is still frozen.

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
Leaverite said:
715++ inches. The highest recorded snowfall in the Sierra's since people started keeping snowfall records.

What is this based on? Mammoth measures there snowfall at Main, that is what they report. They also measure at the top, but the snowfall they report for the season is the Main snowfall, not the snowfall at the top. 10/11 and 16/17 were bigger than this, there have been some other years which were bigger. Mammoth got 668.5 inches at Main in 10/11 and 617 in 16/17. Squaw reported something like 810 in 10/11, which is nuts.

Here is a link to Mammoth's snow fall history. 492 is what they have so far this year, which is awesome. They average about 350, so getting close to 500 is pretty awesome.

https://www.mammothmountain.com/winter/mountain-information/mountain-information

Just click on extended snowfall history. It goes back to 1968 or so.

PacoR

OTF status
Apr 10, 2004
Leaverite said:
715++ inches. The highest recorded snowfall in the Sierra's since people started keeping snowfall records. My Sierra fishing trip this summer is cancelled. Still 5'+ feet of snow on the ground in June. The lake is still frozen.
Once AOC's new green deal goes into affect, we can expect no more than 100in/year. Climate change will be a thing of the past.

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
4th of July weekend. Hit Mammoth on the 5th - snowboard in the morning, mountain biking in the afternoon. Then went for gnarly 14 mile hike on Saturday, made 8.5 hours long due to sun cupped snow at some of the higher elevations. Beautiful all around.

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
The Sierra are about to get hit. I'm deciding whether this weekend or next will be the first time I go up.