***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread***

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
Fun weekend at Mammoth. I would start the morning with chair 9 groomers, then by the afternoon the Paranoids had softened up. I love the noids in spring slush. I ended up doing a lap where we would hit sign line on Climax, then go to chair 23, hit the Paranoids to the bottom, then take the upper gondola up and do it over again. I really love spring days like this. Canyon and Eagle are now closed for the season, but the upper mountain should be great in May and June. Our ski lease ends on May 20, so I have to go up that weekend. I might try to get an additional weekend, but I'm sick of the drive and I think I only have one more in me.

If any of you are thinking of a Mammoth trip I would highly recommend it. The upper mountain steeps in spring slush are a blast.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
dl4060 said:
Fun weekend at Mammoth. I would start the morning with chair 9 groomers, then by the afternoon the Paranoids had softened up. I love the noids in spring slush. I ended up doing a lap where we would hit sign line on Climax, then go to chair 23, hit the Paranoids to the bottom, then take the upper gondola up and do it over again. I really love spring days like this. Canyon and Eagle are now closed for the season, but the upper mountain should be great in May and June. Our ski lease ends on May 20, so I have to go up that weekend. I might try to get an additional weekend, but I'm sick of the drive and I think I only have one more in me.

If any of you are thinking of a Mammoth trip I would highly recommend it. The upper mountain steeps in spring slush are a blast.

Headed up on Fri. How's the coverage, thin in spots? I have a new board I acquired and I'm trying to resist riding her until next season but temptation.

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
frvcvs said:
dl4060 said:

Headed up on Fri. How's the coverage, thin in spots? I have a new board I acquired and I'm trying to resist riding her until next season but temptation.
The coverage is actually great. The upper mountain stuff that I was hitting, Climax, noids, a couple of slush groomers on Cornice and Scottie's, has awesome coverage. That does not mean you can't hit a rock, but you would be very unlucky. The Paranoids are just bomber, and the entrances in are very easy. Hangman's has great coverage, but it seemed firm so I did not venture in, besides I was having too much fun in the noids. I would worry less about hitting rocks right now than in a normal season mid-season. Obviously you can always get unlucky, but I would ride the new board. If you want to get an idea of how good the coverage on the upper mountain is go to MammothSnowman.com and look at his recent photos. They are from a long way away, but it will give you a feeling of how much snow they have. Honestly I would worry more about grabby slush in the flats than rocks. The base is just awesome right now.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
dl4060 said:
frvcvs said:
dl4060 said:

The coverage is actually great. The upper mountain stuff that I was hitting, Climax, noids, a couple of slush groomers on Cornice and Scottie's, has awesome coverage. That does not mean you can't hit a rock, but you would be very unlucky. The Paranoids are just bomber, and the entrances in are very easy. Hangman's has great coverage, but it seemed firm so I did not venture in, besides I was having too much fun in the noids. I would worry less about hitting rocks right now than in a normal season mid-season. Obviously you can always get unlucky, but I would ride the new board. If you want to get an idea of how good the coverage on the upper mountain is go to MammothSnowman.com and look at his recent photos. They are from a long way away, but it will give you a feeling of how much snow they have. Honestly I would worry more about grabby slush in the flats than rocks. The base is just awesome right now.
12 side still had lots of snow two weeks ago. 14 I'm sure is good. there's no brown spots from Stump across that way. just will get chunky in the late afternoon. be sure to warm wax

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County
Lots of melting in the past two weeks, but there was still SO much snow this past weekend. Top was very fun. Spent most of my time on 23/3 just doing laps. Wouldn't worry too much about snow coverage, be awhile before there will be too many rocks up top.

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
Mammoth was really fun this weekend. Saturday was not TOO warm, so we hit groomers all morning waiting for the top to soften. In the afternoon the Paranoids were a blast, fun and slushy, great turns. I was also skiing MJB's, which did not really soften up, and Climax, which did. Sunday things got warm a bit earlier, we hit the top earlier and it was really fun. The noids were great again, this time MJB's and Hangman's did soften up, classic spring skiing.

The coverage is still fantastic. If anyone is thinking about a trip I would highly recommend it. Canyon and Eagle are done, but the coverage up high is great and it is not crowded at all. Down low it can get pretty sticky later in the morning, but the steeps off the top are slushy and fun. I am done for the year, our ski lease ends on May 20 and I am busy this weekend, but it has been a great season. After 12 trips this year I am happy to be done with the drive.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
dl4060 said:
a lap where we would hit sign line on Climax, then go to chair 23, hit the Paranoids to the bottom, then take the upper gondola up and do it over again.
This is the plan for Memorial weekend. :jam_on:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Iceman said:
... had too much Kava the night before (new Kava bar in Santa Cruz, not a good idea).
I thought that stuff makes you relaxed and a little spacey with some numbness at the extremities, which to me, sounds like a recipe for sleep.

How would you describe the sensoria alteration?

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
The season continues! When does Mammoth close? We might send our older grom down with his team to do some training camp on airbags and huge jumps mid june but I think that's independent of the normal operations. There's a small chance I go too and would be stoked to take some laps if lifts are still spinning.

We've got about 2 more weeks at Bachelor. Still lots of nice snow up top but it's getting dirty and sticky down low. Just super fun spring days. I just went up for 6 laps on the snow skate (new addiction - every surfer and skater should get one) at lunch today.

We've had one hell of a season. I keep meaning to post photos and videos of all the different competitions and pow days but I'm lazy and busy and never get around to it. I'll try and share a few things in the next few weeks.

Hope everyone's having a rad spring!

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
My brother and nephew did Squaw two weeks ago. Lower mountain now closed but still a ton of snow on the upper mountain. Spring skiing. $75/day pass.

My brother said a lot of people were hiking/skiing the lower bowls even though they were closed.

Was hoping to get up to Gold Lake in the Plumas Ntl Forest north of Truckee again this year. We went 1st week of June last year. Still 6'+ feet of snow on the ground there right now. Estimate is late June/early July before the campgrounds open up.

Granite Chief in May. That is awesome!

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
dl4060 said:
Mammoth was really fun this weekend. Saturday was not TOO warm, so we hit groomers all morning waiting for the top to soften. In the afternoon the Paranoids were a blast, fun and slushy, great turns. I was also skiing MJB's, which did not really soften up, and Climax, which did. Sunday things got warm a bit earlier, we hit the top earlier and it was really fun. The noids were great again, this time MJB's and Hangman's did soften up, classic spring skiing.

The coverage is still fantastic. If anyone is thinking about a trip I would highly recommend it. Canyon and Eagle are done, but the coverage up high is great and it is not crowded at all. Down low it can get pretty sticky later in the morning, but the steeps off the top are slushy and fun. I am done for the year, our ski lease ends on May 20 and I am busy this weekend, but it has been a great season. After 12 trips this year I am happy to be done with the drive.
supposed to snow again Sunday to Thursday :eek: :socrazy:

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
Leaverite said:
My brother and nephew did Squaw two weeks ago. Lower mountain now closed but still a ton of snow on the upper mountain. Spring skiing. $75/day pass.

My brother said a lot of people were hiking/skiing the lower bowls even though they were closed.

Was hoping to get up to Gold Lake in the Plumas Ntl Forest north of Truckee again this year. We went 1st week of June last year. Still 6'+ feet of snow on the ground there right now. Estimate is late June/early July before the campgrounds open up.

Granite Chief in May. That is awesome!
When I lived in Tahoe I used to love May. They would cut down to just the tram, High Camp, Shirley Lake and Granite Chief. I would start the day by doing 4-5 Granite Peak hikes, skiing Direct Chute. I love Direct Chute, so steep and so much fun in slush. Then I would hit the Corkscrew area for a few laps, it faces north so it takes more time to soften up. Then I would take Shirley up and either head to the pool at high camp for a margarita or hike the Palisades. May was a blast. My guess is that with all the snow they have more upper mountain lifts open, in big years they would keep more lifts open later.

Mammoth is reporting they will be open until July 7.

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
stu dog said:
dl4060 said:

supposed to snow again Sunday to Thursday :eek: :socrazy:
It is a busy week for me, and I don't think I have another trip in me, but some of our ski lease mates are going up.

Here is the snowman's report

https://www.mammothsnowman.com/

Hope some of you guys make it up. It should be fun.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Reports of boot deep fresh on Mammoth today... They closed the mountain by mid-day due to wind / poor visibility.

Hoping it lays down even more and doesn't start warming up until next week when we arrive.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
92122 said:
Reports of boot deep fresh on Mammoth today... They closed the mountain by mid-day due to wind / poor visibility.

Hoping it lays down even more and doesn't start warming up until next week when we arrive.
foot of snow fell today. forecasting another foot Sunday to Monday. and then more possibility on tuesday. gust today were in the 60mph range. may try to rally the troops for memorial day (surf swell pending)

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
stu dog said:
92122 said:

foot of snow fell today. forecasting another foot Sunday to Monday. and then more possibility on tuesday. gust today were in the 60mph range. may try to rally the troops for memorial day (surf swell pending)
Wow, looks like it's going to punch through the 700" season total for the top.
That's insane!

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
SBSteve said:
stu dog said:
92122 said:

Wow, looks like it's going to punch through the 700" season total for the top.
That's insane!

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Make no mistake, the snow season is not over.

Went from doing this at the beginning of the May....

...to this at the end of the May. Had a blast bombing runs with my pops. Hooting and laughing mid-run and at the bottom of the lifts after top to bottom ripping. The old man can still turn and burn.

Higher peaks looking good on the way in.

Perfect springy day

Afternoon thunderstorm closed the mountain early on the second day, but we had so many fun runs leading up to it, we didn't care.