***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread***

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
Nice shots 92122! Is that the Squaw Creek? We used to go to the bar there when I lived in Olympic Valley. The Squaw Creek lift actually has some great trees on storm day. It has some fun terrain that rarely gets skied.

Great shots Iceman! I would love to hit Corbets. Someday I will make it to Jackson. And Once is Enough is great. One of my regrets about my time in Tahoe is that I never got a truly great day at Kirkwood. Kirkwood is a great mountain, I just never got a powder day there.

The last four days at Mammoth have been pretty awesome. Thursday afternoon the top popped with about 10 inches of light snow. You would hit the crust underneath from time to time, but it was still fun. I got a fun Climax line and a couple of fun Paranoids lines before they shut it down. I saw a guy straightline Serbe's in the Top of the World which was INSANE!! The guy had some skills and made it look good. Friday was fun, with cutup pow all over the place. There were good and bad turns, plenty of crust underneath to hit, but still lots of fun. I skied some Paranoids laps and lots of Hangman's laps. Hangman's was fun but interesting, you would get a couple of good turns and a couple of bad turns in the chute, but the snow underneath was awesome. The wipeouts had some nice windbuff. Saturday was a storm day, by late in the day the new snow made for some nice pockets of fresh if you were in the right spot.

Sunday was a blast. The top felt like it had about a foot of snow between the stuff that was there and the stuff that fell on Saturday and Saturday night. You would still hit bottom from time to time, but there were some great turns, I even got a couple of faceshots in Paranoid 1. I was pretty much doing Hangman's and Paranoids laps. Hangman's was REALLY fun, maybe the best I have ever gotten it. Hangers was soft and super edgable up in the chute, then super soft underneath with pillows of powder. You could REALLY rail some powerful turns in the chute, so soft edgable and forgiving. I did a Philippe's lap which was interesting. By the time I got there the whole chute was scoured, it had either been scraped off or slid. The part of the chute above the rock/rollover section has firm bumps that are ledgy and weird. It is hard to get a fluid line going. After the rock/rollover section there were no more bumps, but it was still very firm, edgable but firm. It was a fun place to get some technical turns in. Below the chute was where all the snow had slid to form some beautiful powder pillows. That pow beneath was definitely worth the firm and technical turns above. The crowds were not THAT bad on Sunday. Some lines for the gondola, but really nothing terrible considering what I have seen this year. All in all it was a spectacular day.

If any of you are thinking about Mammoth I highly recommend it. They will be open until July 4th and the coverage is awesome. It really should be a great spring. With so much snow the slushy steeps will be a blast in May.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
stu dog said:
GeoPac said:
scdad said:
Any of you guys who go to Mammoth have a recommended shop for demo snowboard rentals? I can't believe the mountain wants over $100 a day, that's more than I spent in Jackson Hole.
I rented a Burton Flight attendant 159W from Wave Rave for $50/day last weekend. SICKEST board I have ever ridden. Riding it through deep Pow was like a hot knife through butter, felt great under my feet.
if you can find it, try the Stun Gun. friend he's a burton nut raves about that as being the board.
I have a new in plastic Keith Haring x Deep Thinker 157 that I'm about to trade for a Stun Gun. :jam_on:

That stun gun shape just speaks to me.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
dl4060 said:
Nice shots 92122! Is that the Squaw Creek? We used to go to the bar there when I lived in Olympic Valley. The Squaw Creek lift actually has some great trees on storm day. It has some fun terrain that rarely gets skied.
Yes, Resort at Squaw Creek. The trees down below the Squaw Creek and Red Dog lift can be tight and pretty aggressive slope wise, but my main concern is where you end up. If you dont make the Red Dog or Far East Express Base, it is real easy to bottom out in a bad spot. Trying to hit the trees going down to Squaw Creek is questionable as the slope is working against you there and you better know where to keep your speed and traverse to make it back up high enough before the end or you'll be stuck.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
A great run. Ask Kento.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=aaplw&p=canis+lupus+ski+run+video#id=1&vid=28c2e4ac173ce8ab6dce5e799e770714&action=click

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Bob said:
A great run. Ask Kento.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=aaplw&p=canis+lupus+ski+run+video#id=1&vid=28c2e4ac173ce8ab6dce5e799e770714&action=click
Yes! :jam_on: :jam_on:

Best run on the planet by far. If I'm at Canyons, I have to save this run towards middle/end of the day because once I have a taste, I won't want any other run the rest of the day. :beer:

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
A winter for the modern record books.

You don't surf. But this a winter to make up for it.

Hoping to go to my favorite fishing spot this summer. Plumas County above Tahoe. The lakes basin.

15' of snow on the ground right now there. Gold Lake, the biggest lake is frozen solid.

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Went up to Kirkwood on Monday and had a great time. It was warm, so warm this it actually rained a little bit in the afternoon. But the snow was a nice texture and softness, so it was still really fun and carvable. Everything was groomed in the morning and there were barely any people on the mountain, so it stayed fun all day.

Looks like the forecasts are showing more snow the next couple weeks. Might squeeze in a couple more days at Kirkwood before venturing off to Squaw and Mammoth for the late spring/early summer stuff. Considering doing some backcountry stuff as well. Need to get a couple more pieces of gear.

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Also had a decent dust-on-crust day a couple weeks ago. Was feeling a cold coming on, and didn't get much sleep, and had too much Kava the night before (new Kava bar in Santa Cruz, not a good idea). Ended up getting sick for the next week. Buuuuuut hiked around, didn't see many people, and got a lot of fresh lines.

]

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
The stoke is high this season!! A buddy of mine is so pumped on skiing this season he went and bought his first AWD SUV (Range Rover) and just booked a solo strike mission to SLC to hit Alta & Snowbird Friday & Saturday.

So whats going on here? Crawled in a little cave did ya!?

Iceman said:

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
[size:14pt]Scoring in Aspen!! [/size]

Stayed in a friends condo on the lower right that is touching the run at the bottom of Aspen Mtn. We arrived Thursday and were taking runs by 2:30pm, then happy hour at the Sundeck Lodge.

Hadn't planned on hitting Aspen Highlands, but chose to take a lap on Aspen Mtn. Friday morning before taking the city bus the couple miles over to Highlands. Glad we did because it snowed most of the day, with minimal wind, and surface conditions were absolute A+ without being too deep. Lots of interesting history with Highlands as well and how they earned their rightful place alongside Aspen Mtn. Just look up video for "Cloud 9 Aspen Highlands" or their season ender party. Ridiculous.

The town and base of Aspen Mtn. were buzzing on Friday night with a big air contest happening under the lights. I didn't know how I was going to take to Aspen Mtn. compared to the other hills, but have seen the light now. There's nothing quite like it in that its base area IS the town of Aspen, not just some ski area village.

That said, if I had to choose only one hill to ride on for a long day it'd be Aspen Snowmass, about 8 miles out of downtown Aspen. A bit of poor visibility up top led to some absolutely perfect conditions at various points on the hill.

Made it a point to exit Snowmass by 2pm and get back to Aspen Mtn. for the ender since we were ski in ski out. Stayed at the Sundeck past last call until Ski Patrol pretty much kicked us out and we walked outside to find no one around and 3000' of vertical left all to ourselves for the final run of the trip. The sun came out to play and tears of joy came to mind...lol... kidding... sort of. :cool:

In short, I thought Aspen was something I'd do once and be over it with the additional cost involved for no better ski / ride experience, but I'm already planning to go back next year. That says something, as I'm no snow snob. :shrug:

I will say that we got plenty of fresh snow falling throughout the trip and it was no different than what I experience in California on a regular basis. People who talk sh*t about our "Sierra Cement" are idiots, and only right some of the time. The storms and moisture vary a lot in Colorado as well.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
went to tahoe, northstar. and it was awesome. not cheap. mostly empty. good snow.

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
000 said:
went to tahoe, northstar. and it was awesome. not cheap. mostly empty. good snow.
Most of these places are not going to be cheap anymore. If you want to buy an Epic or Ikon pass, then you get lots for your money, but the ski/board industry is pricing out the casual user. That could be a problem in the future. Season passes are getting more and more affordable, but day tickets are just insane.

Last weekend I hit Mammoth, which was fun. The top took a little while to loosen up, and it never got really slushy, but it was really fun. IT was firm early. Sunday morning I skied chair 9 while the top softened, and it was a blast. The coverage is great, it should be a good spring on the upper mountain.

This weekend I hit Baldy on Saturday, which had some fun turns as things melted out. I almost went back on Sunday after surfing south HB pier in the morning, but I lost motivation.

If anyone is interested, I will post some snow data for Mammoth. So far this year they have gotten 460 inches at the site where they measure, which is at Main Lodge. On the top of the mountain they have gotten 681. 460 is WELL above average.

From their site, which contains data going back to the 69/70 season. The totals are for the Main Lodge snowfall site, not the top.

Average total snowfall: 352.998. Standard deviation: 130.7124

Monthly averages: Pre-Oct Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb March April May June July
6.64 6.242 28.31 64.684 70.21 72.502 61.976 37.388 7.672 0.206 0

The other months have tiny averages. Interestingly enough, July did not have any recorded snowfall at all at Main Lodge.

I will be back up this weekend, leaving Friday morning at 430 am if I can finish everything. I have at least two trips left, maybe three. I'm getting sick of the drive.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
In Bishop right now. I have to be at Harvey's in So. Lake Tahoe tomorrow evening around 6:30. I have a left over Costco pass for Mammoth (that will go bad if I don't use it) I can also expense a ticket for any of the So. LT resorts. I have never been to Heavenly but I love Mammoth. If I left Bishop around 5:00am I should have no problem making it to So. LT in 2-3 hours ride all day and not be rushed to get to my end destination. On the other hand, I could also in get some work in the early AM, I'll be up anyhow, and ride most of the day and then rush to So. LT.
What's the call and why?

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
npsp said:
In Bishop right now. I have to be at Harvey's in So. Lake Tahoe tomorrow evening around 6:30. I have a left over Costco pass for Mammoth (that will go bad if I don't use it) I can also expense a ticket for any of the So. LT resorts. I have never been to Heavenly but I love Mammoth. If I left Bishop around 5:00am I should have no problem making it to So. LT in 2-3 hours ride all day and not be rushed to get to my end destination. On the other hand, I could also in get some work in the early AM, I'll be up anyhow, and ride most of the day and then rush to So. LT.
What's the call and why?
I am a huge Mammoth fan, I'm really not a big fan of Heavenly. How much time do you need when you get to SLT? I would check road conditions and figure out the timing. You could hit Mammoth from 830-130 or 2 and still have plenty of time. When I lived in Tahoe I did several Mammoth trips, I remember it being around 3.5 hours from Tahoe City with good roads, but that is on the north side. It really should only take you about 3 hours to get to SLT. I would probably work in the morning, hit Mammoth until about 2, then make the drive. But like I said, it depends on how much time you need in SLT. Mammoth is simply a much better mountain than Heavenly, having said that, I don't know how early things are softening up. This time of year the early morning can be very firm, before things get soft. If you do ski Mammoth I would start at Eagle and hit up chair 9 until the rest of the mountain gets soft. Chair 9 tends to get fun and slushy early. If Kirkwood was still open, and was maybe a little closer to SLT I would advise that, but they closed yesterday for the season. They are also a bit out of the way, but being closed it is a moot point.

So I would probably hit Mammoth until about 2. That being said I would not blame you for being safe and heading to SLT and Heavenly.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
FYI... Mammoth Canyon and Eagle Lodges last day of operations will be Sunday, 4/28.

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
92122 said:
FYI... Mammoth Canyon and Eagle Lodges last day of operations will be Sunday, 4/28.
Yeah, this will be the last weekend for the yellow line, which sucks. Our ski lease is about a 3 minute walk from one of the stops, and you either go to Eagle in one direction or the village in the other. Either way you don't have to wait more than 10 minutes for a shuttle, and once on the shuttle it is about 5 minutes to either the village or Eagle. Our location is very convenient, I don't think I have driven to the mountain since early December. It is always a shame to see chairs 9 and 22 shut down. Having said that, it has been a fun year. I skied far more pow than any weekender has a right to expect, so I have nothing to complain about. With the coverage on the upper mountain May should be fun.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
92122 said:
pretty fun this weekend. got a late start Saturday. by the time we got on the hill was starting to get warm and sticky around 10am-ish. did a couple runs over off 25 and into WH2 area. Then checked out Holy Bowly. Pretty hectic on Saturday as that's where ALL the crowd was. pretty fun hitting those banks. Then chilled at the Mill when the lighting strike hit. Bartender at the Mill said it was right above Mid Chalet. Now that was a first experience for me....lighting at Mammoth. took about an hour for them to clear the lifts and then restart it. we chilled for a bit while the whole crowd went for the bus line. at that point we figured to wait it out to see if they'd open again while having another drink. They did. by that point it was about 2pm so figured we'd start making our way in. The snow coming down was HARD almost hail + the wind, that was a good face burn riding up the lift. Sunday total blue bird skies. They groomed everything so no powder from Saturday's storm. surprising the best snow was going off 8 to 15. it was just soft enough before becoming too sticky that could bank up on the hills and still get some good slashes in. Been a pretty rad season! Might get one more trip in, just to do a few runs + drinking

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
My brother and oldest nephew are heading up to Squaw this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Staying at the Squaw Valley Lodge, next to the big tram. Multiple day discount on Spring Season lift tickets. $75/day if you buy three or more days. There still is a ton of snow.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
dl4060 said:
npsp said:
What's the call and why?
I am a huge Mammoth fan, I'm really not a big fan of Heavenly. How much time do you need when you get to SLT? I would check road conditions and figure out the timing. You could hit Mammoth from 830-130 or 2 and still have plenty of time. When I lived in Tahoe I did several Mammoth trips, I remember it being around 3.5 hours from Tahoe City with good roads, but that is on the north side. It really should only take you about 3 hours to get to SLT. I would probably work in the morning, hit Mammoth until about 2, then make the drive. But like I said, it depends on how much time you need in SLT. Mammoth is simply a much better mountain than Heavenly, having said that, I don't know how early things are softening up. This time of year the early morning can be very firm, before things get soft. If you do ski Mammoth I would start at Eagle and hit up chair 9 until the rest of the mountain gets soft. Chair 9 tends to get fun and slushy early. If Kirkwood was still open, and was maybe a little closer to SLT I would advise that, but they closed yesterday for the season. They are also a bit out of the way, but being closed it is a moot point.

So I would probably hit Mammoth until about 2. That being said I would not blame you for being safe and heading to SLT and Heavenly.
Took the Mammoth option. Very stocked on my choice. Great day mostly cruising 9 and 25. No lines at all and empty slopes. Definitely worth another visit before they limit you to main.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Good call. Heavenly can be tricky for somebody new. A lot of runs on both sides of the mountain. Mid mountain the best for groomers. The lower runs on the Califonia side like Gunbarrel are all black diamonds. Not groomed. Sparser coverage.Probably huge, icy bumps.